LegacyGT.com

Upgrading from VF40 to VF46 tune required?

NatesGr8

As the title states, i'm swapping out my blown VF40 (yup its the second one) with a vf46. does anyone out there know if i will need to retune for this turbo? I'm currently running a pdx etune for stage 2. I'll end up giving them a call or email to see what they think as well.

Thanks for the input.

Nate

not sure on pill size, i'll have to check those out tonight. but i think i'm gonna go with what white tiger said and just swap them, unless of course they're already the same. some other useful info. i'm running a fully catless exhaust with the invidia divorced dp.

not sure on pill size, i'll have to check those out tonight. but i think i'm gonna go with what white tiger said and just swap them, unless of course they're already the same. some other useful info. i'm running a fully catless exhaust with the invidia divorced dp.

they are not the same. i made this swap already. trust me, you want the 40 pill in there if you are not getting a re-tune.

The VF46 actuator is approximately 8 psi and the VF40 actuator is approximately 10 psi. You can run it safely by just swapping the pill out. The problem is that there will be a slight loss in performance.

Unfortunately, the VF40 and VF46 actuator are not a straight swap so it's not easy to swap them out.

The tuner can easily adjust the tune for the lower spring rate of the actuator.

use the vf40 restrictor pill, and no tune is required.

The vf40 pill should be larger than the vf46 correct? Also it goes onthe turbo side of the T connector? This is how I have it set up now. Hopefully I'll be taking her for a spin tomorrow!

I would still tune, go with open source, its cheap! Plus any mod I would want to make sure everything is exactly the way it should be

yes i will eventually get a tune, i just wanted to be sure this will be safe in the meantime as i need a daily driver and won't have time...or money to get to the dyno for a month or two.

yes i will eventually get a tune, i just wanted to be sure this will be safe in the meantime as i need a daily driver and won't have time...or money to get to the dyno for a month or two.

cost me $26. Free software, and as for dyno, just found an open straight road with almost no traffic. All I need is about 1 mile straight, 2 is better. It depends on which model year you have. 05-06 can get by with the 26 vag com cable(says Audi on ebay, obd2 to usb) but the 07 need the tactrix cable. after going opensource Its hard to imagine not doing it. even as a stock car I would recomend it. get with a guy named mickeyd or infamous1. both are excellent tuners. infamous has a service that he will write a map specifically for your car. I think he does like 6 rewrites on the map.

yeah, i know i could try and do the tuning myself, however i don't think i'd find the time to try and figure it all out. It is a good option though. But right now, i'd rather just pay for it. On another note, the turbo is in and seems to be running good. Might not be making as much boost as the old turbo. I'll do some AP datalogging to compare things from before.

• 1 month later...
The VF46 actuator is approximately 8 psi and the VF40 actuator is approximately 10 psi. You can run it safely by just swapping the pill out. The problem is that there will be a slight loss in performance.

Unfortunately, the VF40 and VF46 actuator are not a straight swap so it's not easy to swap them out.

The tuner can easily adjust the tune for the lower spring rate of the actuator.

Any advantage or disadvantage between the 8# and 10# actuator? Either way I will be using a 1mm pill.

Archived