LegacyGT.com

To upgrade Intake Or not .... ?

DWELLER02

So I have a Stage 2 set up, UPP/DP full, Turbo back but stock intake. I was reading around and there doesn't seem to be a clear enough answer. I would like to upgrade my intake, because for 1 reason i am still getting crappy MPG's , and yes i cleaned the maf sensor and changed the filter.

Maybe the issue is in the fact that the Stock Intake cannot get enough air into the turbo/engine...?

So SHOULD i change it to an after market intake Like Avo Or perrin or cobb?

Should it be SHort Ram or Cold Air Intake behind the fender fender?

OR should i just change the MAF inlet and turbo inlet?

Thanks guys!

Just leave the stock tubes and panel filter alone.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

You drive in Queens. It's NYC. Your mileage is bound to suck. How do I know? Because I live in Queens too and I'm stage 2.

What sort of mileage are you seeing, and where do you drive to? Because if you're getting anywhere in the neighborhood of 17+, suck it up and deal with it. :) And even if you're getting under that, you may want to consider the possibility that you have a heavy foot. My foot's been pretty heavy as of late due to lots of WOT logging and boost tuning and I get somewhere in the neighborhood of 13-15 MPG, and that's mixed local/highway.

We should meet up some time so I can teach you some important things... like how to search. ;)

You drive in Queens. It's NYC. Your mileage is bound to suck. How do I know? Because I live in Queens too and I'm stage 2.

What sort of mileage are you seeing, and where do you drive to? Because if you're getting anywhere in the neighborhood of 17+, suck it up and deal with it. :) And even if you're getting under that, you may want to consider the possibility that you have a heavy foot. My foot's been pretty heavy as of late due to lots of WOT logging and boost tuning and I get somewhere in the neighborhood of 13-15 MPG, and that's mixed local/highway.

We should meet up some time so I can teach you some important things... like how to search. ;)

Well the milage was bad even before the tune I was getting 12.9mpgs or less even without the lead foot, which i can control. After the tune it seems to be the same. I mean on the Highway Its pretty good, I can easily do 22-26+, but on the streets its drops by half which sucks ;-/.

I will try a different panel filter maybe and see.

Like i said, i know how to search. It is just everyone has an opinion and some people say "yeah do it" others say its a waste, others say its good for if you like the noise/sound. Its just unclear. But that is why I asked. And I thank everyone for their answers and advice.:icon_mrgr

Well the milage was bad even before the tune I was getting 12.9mpgs or less even without the lead foot, which i can control. After the tune it seems to be the same. I mean on the Highway Its pretty good, I can easily do 22-26+, but on the streets its drops by half which sucks ;-/.

I will try a different panel filter maybe and see.

Like i said, i know how to search. It is just everyone has an opinion and some people say "yeah do it" others say its a waste, others say its good for if you like the noise/sound. Its just unclear. But that is why I asked. And I thank everyone for their answers and advice.:icon_mrgr

The overwhelming consensus is to NOT get an intake.It is NOT a bottleneck at your power levels.... Not even close.

Reasons to get an intake:

1) You have money to burn (in which case I can give you my paypal address if you want.) ;)

2) You are making a LOT of power and it actually is a bottleneck

3) You like the extra bit of intake noise

4) You want a reuseable filter that you can clean

Note that none of those say anything about fuel economy or adding power or anything of that sort. And bear in mind that any intake, even a panel filter, can and sometimes does introduce problems.

You didn't answer me though about what type of driving you're actually doing. Where are you driving? What highways/roads? I'm pretty familiar with the roads here so, especially in Queens, soo....

Bear in mind that traffic, especially stop and go traffic will destroy your fuel economy.

As far as BMX suggesting you run LV, that's a start. Run LV, see how your fuel trims are. If your fuel trims are maxing out in either direction, it suggests a problem with your car that needs to get fixed, and it would explain why you're using up a lot of fuel.

The overwhelming consensus is to NOT get an intake.It is NOT a bottleneck at your power levels.... Not even close.

Reasons to get an intake:

1) You have money to burn (in which case I can give you my paypal address if you want.) ;)

2) You are making a LOT of power and it actually is a bottleneck

3) You like the extra bit of intake noise

4) You want a reuseable filter that you can clean

Note that none of those say anything about fuel economy or adding power or anything of that sort. And bear in mind that any intake, even a panel filter, can and sometimes does introduce problems.

You didn't answer me though about what type of driving you're actually doing. Where are you driving? What highways/roads? I'm pretty familiar with the roads here so, especially in Queens, soo....

Bear in mind that traffic, especially stop and go traffic will destroy your fuel economy.

As far as BMX suggesting you run LV, that's a start. Run LV, see how your fuel trims are. If your fuel trims are maxing out in either direction, it suggests a problem with your car that needs to get fixed, and it would explain why you're using up a lot of fuel.

Well i do a lot of my driving in Rego Park, on The local highways LIE, GCP and the local streets.

I am a novice so I am not to good with LV. BTW an LV can be done through the AP right?

Is there any other way to check if the car is running rich ?

How to get 21-22 MPG in town.

Do not rev the car past 2.5k rpm level, that is your shift point for each gear, and drive 40mph in 5th gear (residential speed limits). Coast in neutral as much as possible, do not accelerate up hills. Coast downhill as much as possible. On roads with very few stop lights I can get upwards of 26-30 mpg doing this. Granted its slow, and get passed by mini vans but so what...premium is expensive :)

I also have a new AEM drop in filter laying around if you are interested.

Archived