LegacyGT.com

Update to: 30,000 mile service disaster.

I'm making a new thread to update this topic: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76997

Summary:

After my 30,000 mile service, within 6 miles of the dealership smoke was billowing out of my car. The engine overheated, but I made it back to the dealership. The tech failed to fill the engine with coolant. After supposedly fixing the problem, I checked on it again 2 hours later and the coolant was gone. No leaks.

After that weekend, the service manager sent a flatbed out to get my car. The Subaru Master Tech looked at it and talked with the original mechanic. It turns out, he was filling coolant into the radiator instead of the proper location. After they fixed all of the problems, changed my oil again, and ran a compression test, they sent me on my way. I met with the service manager and the general manager and discussed the situation. They agreed that it was their mechanic's fault and they said they would "do everything in our power to make this right." They informed me that they fired the kid that worked on my car.

A few days later, I came in for a follow-up. I asked to meet with the general manager again. I proposed that, since the vehicle may be irreversibly damaged, he should replace the vehicle or buy it back at the original price. To make a long-story short, he basically tried to sell me a 2008 LGT for $28,000 and give me $14,000 for mine. He said I would have to pay him $13,000. I explained that I wasn't looking to buy a new car, and I had given him several opportunities to remedy the situation.

I've driven the car over 1,600 miles since the initial disaster with no issues. However, three independent mechanics and a Subaru master tech at another dealership have all warned that problems will arise in the future.

I met with a lawyer today. He said that he can't take the case until there is actual tangible damage. Even at that point, we can only sue for damages--not for a replacement vehicle. He said that by the time we factor in missed work, property damage, negligence, it would basically be the same as replacing the vehicle. He emphasized that I can't pursue this with legal action until further damage occurs.

Does this sound right at all? Basically, I'm being told that my vehicle was definitely damaged, but I can't do anything about it until because the vehicle is still drivable. The service manager is cooperating completely, but the general manager is being sleazy. They offered me a $400 refund for the service but I declined. Should I have taken the $400?

If anyone knows a lawyer that has handled a similar case, please send me a private message and let me know. At the moment, my vehicle functions perfectly well. I bought this car because Subaru had the highest reliability rating in 2005--and now I'm being told that the engine will fail and all I can do is wait for it.

What a sad story..I feel for you. Your dealer is a complete idiot...

I know very little about Suby engines..but it sounds like you were only over heated for a few moments..I don;t see how that equates to potential problems down the road? It is not like you drove the car without coolant for an extended period of time.

I think at the very least the dealer should give you back your $400 and Subaru should extend your powertrain warrenty to 100K miles. You don;t want to go back to these guys for any future service, so make sure Subaru extends the warrenty (not the local dealer).

I'm sure the lawyer knows the law, it kinda sucks. But, the law is the law I suppose.

I wouldn't have taken the 400 refund. Also, if they try to offer you ANY refunds/anything make sure to read EVERY word that comes with it. A lot of the time people under liability will try to pass off a check with wording such as "This settles the matter in full" or something. So if you were to deposit said check you lose any recourse.

If the car really is a "ticking time bomb" that will fail sometime in its life, for all purposes you could consider its value close to 0 and the fact that the dealer will give you 14k is a good thing.

I don't agree with the situation and think that there should be some sort of compensation, just offering up a different perspective.

You could try SOA and let them known what the service dept did to the car. I'd probably write them a letter though, as email probably wouldn't get to who you wanted it to.

You could try SOA and let them known what the service dept did to the car. I'd probably write them a letter though, as email probably wouldn't get to who you wanted it to.

I have a direct line to a rep. at Subaru of America. They said they don't get involved with technical matters. This is between me and the dealership.

Well, I don't know who your contact is. But, I had an issue with a wheel bearing in my 98 RS. They said it was due to a small accident I had and clipped a curb. (they did that repair) And I remember reading about a lot of bearing problems on the 98. I figured if it was due to the accident, They repaired it incorrectly the first time. Eventually, I went past the service manager and spoke to the owners of the lot. They contacted a rep at SOA and was told to fix it up for free. Never had a problem after that for the next 5-6 years.

You might want to find out your regional rep in the area. and after that. go on up the chain of command. As you said yourself. They told you that they'd do everything in their power to make it right. $400 is nice . But, it should've been gratis. and an extension of your warrenty to at least 100,00 miles wouldn't at all seem unreasonable.

Good luck with your car and I hope this doesn't spoil you on Subarus. And I feel bad for that poor gofer kid who messed up.

If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

$400 is nice . But, it should've been gratis. and an extension of your warrenty to at least 100,00 miles wouldn't at all seem unreasonable. Good luck with your car and I hope this doesn't spoil you on Subarus. And I feel bad for that poor gofer kid who messed up.

It was a complete refund, so the service would have been free. I already have an extended warranty from Subaru, and I asked that they give me a written 100,000 mile power-train warranty. They said they wouldn't give me anything in writing, but they will stand by me if any problems appear.

The rude dealers, incompetent mechanics (this and past experiences), and apathetic headquarters have spoiled my Subaru experience. Never again.

If you really feel this bad about it then I say you get rid of the car and get something else new.

Just keep in mind that every car will fail sooner or later, and it may be from one thing or another. I know, it is hard to not wonder about your car with everything that has happened, but I think that having a low coolant issue is probably better than having a low oil issue.

So from the little that I know, what harm can happen from a low coolant issue? Warped heads? If anything those can most likely be replaced, and if you can somehow make the dealership deal with it if it does happen, that would be ideal.

No mechanic can assure you that something catastrophic is going to happen to your car, but they can certainly tell you that in the lifetime of the car it will need service, and it may and most likely break down.

Just my 2c's

X

---

I'd ask that the engine be rebuilt or for an entirely new engine. If they refuse I'd ask them to pay you back for the 100K mile warranty you had already purchased plus the cost of the 30K service. Try speaking directly to the owner instead of the GM too.

On the bright side you only drove the car for about 6 miles. If the compression test checked out you're probably fine and no "serious" damage has occurred. Personally, I did my 30K service myself since I've lost faith in hired mechanics - too many bad experiences.

Sorry to hear of the mishap.

They said they will give you a 100K power train warranty but will not put it in writing, so odds are they are not giving you anything.

I would be very supprised if the engine was not damaged. It doesn't take much to score a bearing. also, what do you think all the smoke was? Odds are it was oil that was now being used to cool the engine, breaking down because it was boiling and blowing past the rings. Do you know if there was any oil left in the crank case when you got back to the dealer?

I would recommend pushing for a new engine.

Peace,

Greg

Sheesh - a lot of bad advice. Here's the deal - you do have to have damages in order to sue. So, if the car is running fine, then enjoy it. But from now on, service it at your dealership, so that if the car does expire at some point in the future and it can be traced back to this issue, they'll have no one than themselves to point the finger at. If you do your own service or use an independent party, it could become trickier.

I would tell them that they need to refund the cost of the 30,000 mile service. Then, I would demand a meeting with the owner and general manager, and insist that if they promised to take care of the car, then tell them to "put their money where their mouths are." You want all major factory recommended services performed on schedule and at no charge and a Subaru factory 100,000 mile warranty at no charge. After all, if they are sincere, then they should have no problem accomodating this. I would also contact SOA and let them know that their authorized dealer is hiring incompetent mechanics and then making empty promises about taking care of the car in the future. It probably wouldn't hurt to mention that you are a member a major Subaru internet forum and do they really need any negative publicity.

Tthree independent mechanics and a Subaru master tech at another dealership have all warned that problems will arise in the future.

Basically, I'm being told that my vehicle was definitely damage

Let me play the skeptic... WHAT problems will arise in the future? Someone else pointed out that EVERY car is going to have problems in the future. I don't see that your car's engine was definitely damaged, in fact I don't see that it was damaged it all. The dealership doubtlessly screwed up, but this sounds like a case of no harm, no foul.

Drive on, and enjoy the car,

Ben

Why not just ask for the best extended warranty offered by Subaru for free? I believe its 7yrs/100,000 miles. If your car makes it that far fine I think its out of the woods.

The cost of this(to dealer) is likely a bit more than the $400 refund they offered. Its seems like a reasonable compromise.

Why not just ask for the best extended warranty offered by Subaru for free? I believe its 7yrs/100,000 miles. If your car makes it that far fine I think its out of the woods.

The cost of this(to dealer) is likely a bit more than the $400 refund they offered. Its seems like a reasonable compromise.

Totally agree with this post. They can get out of this simply for a written warranty for 7 years, 100k...after which, if some problem occurs with your engine, well, you can't really blame it on the coolant, at least not exclusively.

Even a 7 year, 70,000 mile warranty.

On another topic: Sounds like they did the right tests to see if there was immediate damage. Good stuff. But those tests do not determine long-term damage. A car's head can warp from one overheating episode, and last for awhile under the head gasket or some other problem arises down the road.

Get the warranty. Drive the car. If something bad happens, chances are any potential damage will be fixed under warranty and you've got a solid car. If not, you keep your car for awhile and get rid of it before the warranty ends.

If they've already offered you $400, then they should be willing to offer you such a warranty for their real-cost, which is only somewhat higher than $400.

Joe

You can get a new Gt for 26-27k if you try.. Considering the fact they screwed you over on your vehicle you should knock 5k off that and go for 20-21k.. Just remind them this is their best solution and they will save money on legal fees in the long run..:rolleyes:

I dont think they owe you a brand new car, it already had 30K on it when they f'ed it up. And it sounds like what they did is prorate the price. Offering you 14k for a damaged vehicle is not a bad offer at all. What happens in the future when you try to get rid of that car? It'll be worth shit, and when it does die you aren't even guarranteed that you will win your lawsuit. Dont get the extended warranty, you'll still have to pay for the little shit. The dealer probably wont make you another offer let alone a better offer. Cut your losses and take the trade in deal. You'd get a brand new car for 13k. Not bad at all.

Archived