LegacyGT.com

UP install difficulty

smitty69

Hi-

I am going to install UP in my 05 LGT. Wondering what the difficulty is compared to dp install. Wondering b/c I thought the dp would be a fairly easy install, and IT SUCKED!!!! Considering I have limited tools, and was monkeying around in my garage w/car on jack stands!! There is no room to move under the car, I had to flop around like a fish out of water to get under and back out!! Anyway, if it is more difficult than that, I think I will probably just have my mechanic do it. If it is about the same, or a little easier, I might think about doing it myself.

:confused:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked alone and spent an entire day doing mine with just handtools. The UP is a PITA to remove, took me 2 hours just just to pull out with out jacking up the motor. Here are my tips:

1. remove the entire exhaust manifold & x-pipe as one piece

2. if you use PB Blaster or similar product, clean nuts & bolts with brake cleaner before putting back on

3. remove EGT sensor from UP before doing anything with the UP

4. have lots of patience :)

Took me 2 hours to do as well with installing the DP too. It would have taken me less if I removed that damn EGT sensor first!

You do not have to jack up the motor. All you need to do is remove the EGT sensor and do a little bit of twisting and turning.

I dont see a point in installing the downpipe and the upipe at different times. You will be redoing the work. Its like saying you are going to change a light bulb, then change the lightbulb socket right afterwards. I couldnt get my up out without jacking the engine, its a tight fit. Beer and swearing will get you through it.

Yeh its a learning experience. The best part is once you get it all back together and you have a exhaust leak:spin:.. which was my first experience with the up. I think its called a up pipe, because it sticks it to you right up the pipe.:lol:

what kind of gear?

assless chaps.

24 pack of beer.

goggles.

pink floyd t-shirt.

hot dogz.

some toolz.

a partner to keep you company.

some kenny G.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

do you NEED to re-install the EGT? What is it anyway?

No, but get an M12x1.25mm bolt to put in the bung and a 2.2ohm resistor. If you've never done it, it will take anywhere from 4-6hrs. Be careful removing (don't start wrestling the thing out like a phuckin moron with epilepsy), cause it's very easy to clip the half moon seal on the valve cover and then your in a whole other heap of shit. :D

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

If you did the downpipe, do the upipe, not much difference. Nothing like experiencing the legacy with swearing and battered knuckles.

Apparently you've never worked on Marks car. I thought my car was retarded, but hiss brought me to a level of pissed off I just hadn't seen before. I swore that thing off over a year ago. :lol:

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

If you thought the DP was hard then take it to get installed. Oh and you dont have to lift the engine nor remove the cross pipe to get the up pipe out. Definately don't have to remove the egt sensor either, mine is still stuck in the oem UP.

Archived