LegacyGT.com

Unknown turbo issue

Hello,

I am having an issue with the turbo that neither myself nor the professional shop that I got it tuned at could figure it out. So what is going is under light acceleration the turbo spools up fine up to 10-12lbs then from 12-14 bounces all around but never lower than 10lbs then it smooths out around 15-16lbs. So I would say anything from no throttle to half this happens but any thing above half to full it doesn't do it

I think it maybe some type of compression stall or something along those lines

Or it could be the air flow that is making a "vortex" and here is why:

I have the k and n typhoon intake that comes with 2.5" pipping then I have the 3" Avo inlet hose that goes to the turbo that goes into the stock 2.5" down pipe into a 3" that tapers into 2.5" magna flow exhaust

There car also has a Perrin tmic, new timing belt water pump etc...new stock turbo it now has 5k on it Cobb ap with custom stage 2 map And a dw265c fuel pump

The guy who tuned worked on the car for hours and logged many runs/pulls on the dyno and on the road to see what was causing it and found nothing, the car is running very well. So any input would be great

It is a 5eat.

No I have not, when I bought it that's what was in it, I was thinking about switching it out any ways for the cobb or perrin one but will have to get it retuned no mater what I do. That is why I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible. But thank you for the advice

Manual or EBCS?

It is a 5eat.

Manual or Electronic Boost Control System?

The reason being, if your boost is swinging about, it could be a boost control issue.

Although, if you're running stock DP, I'm gonna guess you're also running stock boost control?

If you can get a stock air box, put that back on. May be the junk yards would have one.

Both my car's have Perrin or K&N filters, lightly oiled. My wagon has had the same Perrin Panel filter since it had about 2000 miles on it, way back in Aug 04.

Just guessing, how's the MAF sensor, clean or dirty ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I wonder if you have a crack in a vacuum hose, that opens under pressure.

Can you do a vacuum leak test ?

Plug the hose off the air filter with a paint can. give the small vacuum hose off hte BOV a quick blast of air. Put your thumb over the hose, listen for leaks.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Can you post a data log. A few guy's here are pretty good at reading them.

My Tuner www.tuningalliance.com is pretty good, he is a vendor on here in the Vendor Forum. May be ask him for help.

So no leaks any where. The actuator was checked out before going on the dyno, spoke with the guy who does all the tunes and he is also the owner of the shop and swears up and down on it being the air flow and how its almost making a "vortex" if you will. So looks like I'm going to try a 73mm intake and custom maff and see if that works

• 3 weeks later...

think I may have found the problem but I can not I find any diagram that show were it goes. but its the only thing that is not connected to anything. when I first did the inlet hose nothing was connected to it in the first place, the guy that own the car had taken everything off to do the turbo and given what I have found so far probably forgot about this hose back on

this is the only diagram I could find http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=167975&d=1384657978 but I called Subaru and some other tuner shops in the area no one is sure, so what do you all think

http://realmshades.com/car/3.jpg

http://realmshades.com/car/1.jpg

http://realmshades.com/car/2.jpg

I think the line 1 from the grimmspeed controller goes to the T on the inlet tube. Where that light green line goes to item (6).

Is that what your asking ?

Or can you tell us where your open line is coming from ? If you have a picture there, I can't see here at work.

I think the line 1 from the grimmspeed controller goes to the T on the inlet tube. Where that light green line goes to item (6).

Is that what your asking ?

Or can you tell us where your open line is coming from ? If you have a picture there, I can't see here at work.

the pictures of what im talking about are in this post, are they not working?

Archived