LegacyGT.com

Underbody tray...i broke it

mwiener2

Anyone know how much a new one is or if there are any in junkyards yet?

I kinda did a stupid human trick and broke mine.

I have a small patch of grass firmly attached to the jagged broken area...that should protect just as well as the plastic

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

The only reason for that slab 'o plastic is to prevent you from seeing oil leaks so they don't have to do any warranty work.

The main reason is because when I drain the oil it looks like Captain Hazelwood has paid me a visit.

It is still ugly.

Hahahahahahahaha. That's true. Not like it does too much to protect stuff. The stuff that could really be hurt would taking something big hitting it like a rock, which would shatter right through that plastic.

It really does make oil changes a pain in the balls.

Ahhh, Capt. Hazelwood rears his ugly head yet again. Hasn't he been vilified enough? Like he personally opened up the dump valve or something:icon_wink

BOT, what is the real purpose of that thing, anyway?

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Sorry to hijack, but aside from maybe a metal underbody tray for protection, is there any need to upgrade this piece? Pillboy, any problems running w/o it? I know Primitive makes an aluminum version as well, and I was thinking of throwing some money at Paul up there someday.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

You'll notice maybe 1 -2 mpg loss.

Its not really a skid plate, as it doesn't protect anything, just creates better airflow.

Ya really think that much of a MPG loss? It's not like something is now sticking into the air flow (like roof bars) and causing drag. I know that there will probably be more turbulance in the air stream....but...

Did I read a post somewhere else on here that the non-GTs don't have this POS?

If anything I would think it would help to reduce underhood temperatures by allowing easier flow of air through the engine compartment. I have noticed nothing different and leaving it off is my final answer Regis.

It is still ugly.

Its not so much about being in the airflow, its about creating laminar (or just less turbulent) airflow under the car.

Those underbody pieces really do help a lot, thats why manufactures have begun sticking them whereever they can.

On my WRX I had removed my tray after doing some header work, thinking that it was a piece of junk plastic piece. I ran for maybe 2000 miles and decided to put it back on. There was a noticble change in MPG averaged over 5 tanks of gas.

• 11 months later...
Not sure if anyone cares, but I can verify that the LGT/OBXT tray fits my '05 OB 2.5i with no modifications. I got it to keep out dust/dirt. The only thing I need is the proper fasteners to attach the rearmost holes to the chassis (right now I have 2 zip ties holding that portion on). An Autozone/Home Depot trip should get me the right fasteners.

Archived