LegacyGT.com

Uh Oh...Trans Fluid Change Made Shifts Worse

My tranny fluid was never changed from the look at it. It was black.

So I drained all I could (about 4.2 quarts) and filled it up with genuine Subaru fluid. Before, it would sometimes bump in 4th.

Now, if I step on it just a little, the RPMs will go up to 3k and stay there for a couple seconds and then shift. No bump, but it's almost like its slipping.

I also did not replace the tranny filter, I wasn't sure if there was one and my mechanic said the spin on tranny filter wasn't there so he assumed they didn't use one. Is there anything I can do?

• Moderators

MaxCap is right about the location of the filter. However, from what I've been told the filter is not a wear item and is not typically replaced unless there is physical damage to the filter itself. That said, depending on your mileage and given that you don't think the fluid was ever replaced, you might benefit from doing a better "flush" by unhooking one of the transmission lines and crank the motor to all the car to "pump" out fluid for you. Pump out a quart or so, then add a quart. Continue until you are getting fresh fluid out--I think you would want to have 12-15qts of fluid on hand for this, just return what you don't use. You might want to replace the filter too, but I'm not sure if it would be best to do this at the beginning of the process or at the end. It might not matter.

Also, make sure to check the fluid level. Warm the car up, shift through all the gears, and the put it in park on a level surface. Check the fluid and adjust appropriately. Overfilling the transmission will really wreak havoc on shifting behavior.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Thank you guys for the info.

I've checked the fluid a few times, it's at the right level and isn't dark brown anymore but it isn't the best looking. Could i benefit from just a few drain and fills? I could drain it again and fill it up with the good fluid and maybe a third time. I'm not sure if my mechanic would unhook one of the lines to pump it out, that's why I ask.

The odd thing is, on my 8 previous cars I have changed some nasty tranny fluid. My old 98 Outback had black thick fluid and bumped a lot after I changed it. It's like none of them benefited from it. Is there an additive (Lucas or something) I could put in with the transmission fluid to help it? It only slips when I bring it up to 3k+ RPM

the tranny holds 10-12qts, draining the pan and refilling effectively replaces 1/3 of the tranny fluid. you need to do this drain and fill a few times, and even then all the old fluid will not be removed due to mixing. the valve body was acustomed to the wretched old fluid and shifted to suit it. new fluid will attempt to teach an old dog new tricks, and due to the new fluid and it's proper function, may cause the tranny to slip if the clutches are worn too low.

do a couple more drains and fills and then reset the TCU via a vagcom and freessm or go to the dealer and have them do it. if it still slips after a few WOT romp sessions, then you're SOL. sometimes the torque converter unlocking may feel like slipping, what I've found while tuning is that if the clutches are thoroughly worn through, you may hit the rev limiter between shifts...but the more you WOT it the firmer the shift should become and it should learn with the new fluid in.

• Moderators

Quick math if you care, assuming for simplicity that the total amount of fluid in the system is 12qts and a drain and fill is 4qts:

• 1 drain/fill = 33% new fluid
  • 2 drain/fills = 56% new fluid
  • 3 drain/fills = 70% new fluid
  • 4 drain/fills = 80% new fluid
  • 5 drain/fills = 87% new fluid
  • 6 drain/fills = 91% new fluid

That's assuming also that you do a bit of driving in between each change to ensure the old/new fluid is completely mixed before doing the next drain / fill.

• Moderators
Or you could just pay $100 at the Subaru dealer and have them use their BG fluid exchange machine and replace 100% of the fluid all at once.

Yup. Would be way cheaper / less time consuming that doing several drain/fills.

Hey, OP..take a look at the online reference manual. I just did a tranny fluid and filter change myself.

The manual says the tranny will shift strange for a bit as it re-learns after the fluid change. Go easy on it and it will return to normal.

Again, that's right from the manual.

My Subaru dealer said $280. I said "ha ha" and decided I'll get my mechanic to drain it again when I can :spin:

I think the service states to just replace some of the fluid. I don't know that subi actually requires all the tranny be exchanged to keep it in good operating condition.

subaru dealers commonly just drain pan and refill once. heard this from multiple subaru techs, even master techs.

That's nice, but that only replaces about 1/3 of the fluid. My local dealer has the BG machine and uses that fluid/machine for all of their A/T service without issue. IMHO this is far superior to a fluid drain and fill as it gets 100% of the fluid the first time with no waste. The BG fluid is also significantly cheaper than the Subaru fluid and meets the Subaru specs.

That's nice, but that only replaces about 1/3 of the fluid. My local dealer has the BG machine and uses that fluid/machine for all of their A/T service without issue. IMHO this is far superior to a fluid drain and fill as it gets 100% of the fluid the first time with no waste. The BG fluid is also significantly cheaper than the Subaru fluid and meets the Subaru specs.

I think we're all over thinking this. The subi tranny wasn't designed to require all the fluid changed out at once. While I do whatever the dealer commonly suggests (within reason) I do find it interesting that 'flushing' a tranny is considered a good thing. Some trannys find this to be a shock and it shortens their line.

At our 60K service they flushed the tranny. I notice the 90K service suggests another 1/3 change. Does that mean all that fluid is toast? Probably not. I cannot help but think the service interval of 1/3 change every 30K is ok. Consider a manual gear box is 30K with a lot less fliuid.

Archived