LegacyGT.com

Uh oh... Head Gasket Leaking

So I was under my girlfriend's 2005 2.5i last night and I see a drip of oil on the oil filter.

I grabbed my flesh light and aimed it up at the under side of the engine. It is soaked!

There is wet drips and liquid all around the head where it bolts to the block. She also has steam that can be seen at night in front of the headlights from it burning off under there, and you can smell it pretty frequently.

A few questions, how long does she have?

Is this common failure for the head gasket? External leak?

Is it reccomended to upgrade the head studs upon repair to prevent this from happening again?

Are the headgasket kits available online okay to purchase to do the job?

Thank you.

• Moderators

If you can actually see it leaking that sounds like a pretty good leak. "Seeping" would probably give you some time but pretty good leak can be serious I think. Everything should be repairable now, but long term HG issues can lead to some pretty good corrosion AFAIK. Subaru HGs fail quite frequently unfortunately, although they seem to have gotten better.

Here's a great couple of videos to watch on replacement on removal / installation:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PLdz-lXnQA&list=PLlgrBv7zqfLR0rqC9faI_eihKsBGn2Lp1]Subaru Cylinder Head Removal - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddFsFfiyOvg&list=PLlgrBv7zqfLR0rqC9faI_eihKsBGn2Lp1]Subaru Cylinder Head Installation - YouTube[/ame]

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
I understand its a common failure. Now I can't see it leaking out as I sit there but it's clearly glistening wet, it's not just old wet stains.

Do you have any knowledge about the gasket kits?

Only what I learned from watching those videos really and from common sense--you get what you pay for and it's a shitty job to do twice if you pick cheap gaskets.

He recommends 3 types: six star, felpro, or OEM--more or less in that order. I guess OEM are composite type gaskets and slightly more prone to leaking that the layers steel gaskets like the six star / felpro.

Tell her to keep an eye on the engine temperature for the time being.

I have, thank you, I have no audio to listen to the videos at work. We'll probably want to do this before the summer is over. It's a pain she purchase a used car warranty, but I'm willing to bet it won't cover head gaskets.

• Moderators

yup, looks like it. I would purchase from someone with more feedback on ebay though. I think you can also buy the sixstar stuff from the uploader of those videos as well.

I have no affiliation, BTW--I've just been watching that series of videos and it's been REALLY informative on HGs, shortblock assembly, etc. Pretty neat.

Wait, are you leaking oil or coolant? Head gasket only leaks coolant, valve cover gasket leaks oil. You may have a valve cover gasket leak that is old. Also when the head gasket goes you will get coolant in oil and white smoke from the tailpipe. Valve cover gasket is not a big issue to replace. My 07 before I traded it in had a slight valve cover leak on the passenger side.

X

---

It definitely would be, but I saw both oil and coolant looking fluid.

Unless the valve cover gaskets are leaking their way down to the seam where the head meets the block. I am 100% certain that there was a drop of oil off the filter, and I am nearly certain I saw coolant from the seam of the block.

I'll have to get back under and look again.

The seam for head-to-block is pretty far from the seam for valve-cover-to-head. I would think it would be fairly easy to tell what is leaking.

That's what I'm thinking. I can't imagine it running down all the way and soaking that seam fairly evenly.

From what I understand aren't there two large oil return passages at the bottom of the head? If so it would definitely be possible for a hg to leak oil.

Picture taken from the thread below to give a general idea of what I'm referring to

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/51824-oil-filter-head-gasket-4.html

image.jpg.3fb97acf650ca34b9e0043943ec96397.jpg

Best thing to do is degrease and clean the whole area. Drive it around for 10 + miles with a few WOT runs to build pressure. Then check the area again to see where the actual leak is coming from. It can become a very expensive guessing game if you're not 100% positive.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Not all Subarus would lose coolant at the cylinders, in some cases the exhaust gases would blow into the coolant system creating more pressure and heat. This is what happen when my HG blew. No coolant loss internally, but the pressure and hot gasses (bubbles) would cause the resoivor tank to overflow.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Just chewed away and hour and a half watching those two vids. Now I am that much smarter. Or dangerous. Don't know yet. Great videos though. Good luck with the HG issue.

VF-52 and all associated bits tuned by Tuning Alliance.

:cool:

Are you sure you're not just having an issue with the oil cooler? It is basically what the oil filter housing is screwing on to and where oil and coolant could potentially come together.

a decent mechanic should be able to do a coolant pressure test or a leakdown and figure this out for sure.

• Moderators
Just chewed away and hour and a half watching those two vids. Now I am that much smarter. Or dangerous. Don't know yet. Great videos though. Good luck with the HG issue.

Haha, I feel the SAME way. I feel empowered now to build my own engine, no problem :lol:

Seriously good videos though, they taught me a lot and seem to be a great crash course for visualizing your way around a subaru engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived