LegacyGT.com

Ughhh 05 lgt woes

Pulled code. P0340 sensor "a" signal fault bank1 or single sensor

Car: 05 lgt 5EAT, stage one open source tune, catback exhaust.

No knock, no smoke, idles fine. Has 127k very well maintained miles.

So it all began last night. My wife was driving the car home from work. Check engine light came on, she said she was pressing the gas pedal and getting no response. Stopped and put the car in park. Back in drive and car drove fine the last 5 miles home. I check it out when she gets home, find no obvious signs of anything. (Other than the fact that it now has the infamous dirty end tanks on one corner of the IC). One thing I did notice was that her gas light was on, and she had 1/4 of a tank. She put some gas it that morning, but said the gas light was on before that. My scan tool is MIA from letting multiple people borrowit, so that had to wait.

This Morning:

I drive the car to the gas station, fill it up. Get in, turn car on, check engine light is gone. Think to myself, that's really weird. So I drive up to the auto parts store to see if they're open. They're not. I say f it, I'll drive it to work today. Drove great driving the car normally. I noticed a slight hesitation when I kick it down to accelerate a little through an intersection. I get to an open stretch of road, and from a stop, I accelerate, easing into, to redline. I let out of it thinking awesome everything is fine. Nope. Check engine pops on, and I'm getting nothing pressing the gas pedal. I pop it in to neutral as I'm going up this hill, and try to rev it a little bit. It revs a little in neutral sounds like it could've possibly have been missing. I put it back in drive at the red light and turn around and take it home. The 2 minute drive back home, it drove completely fine, whether driving it easy, or accelerating in boost. I'm at a loss. My wife will be taking it to get it scanned.

Sorry for being so long winded. I'm at a loss here. Any ideas? I'll be sure to post the codes once it's scanned.

I did indeed google after I got the code. I just got it right before you guys responded haha. I'll replace the sensor asap. Hopefully that actually fixes the problem, as from what I've read on nasioc, it seems like it's not too common for the sensor alone to fix the code.

Its probably the sensor! At least try google, I googled legacygt P0340 sensor, did you change/check/test the sensor? ;)

Your answer is probably in post #3

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/p0340-camshaft-position-sensor-circuit-bank-1-cel-214447.html

I read over this thread. He states there are 4 cam sensors. He replaced a couple of them. I'm assuming bank 1 is the one on the passenger side on top of the head towards the rear?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/trouble-codes-cels-26113.html

Bank 1 is the passenger side head.

Service manual, GT's start around page 1600. In the back of the book there is a section, on how things work and flow.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/trouble-codes-cels-26113.html

Bank 1 is the passenger side head.

Service manual, GT's start around page 1600. In the back of the book there is a section, on how things work and flow.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation man. And also for the link. I'll update back here once I get the sensor replaced.

If its not that sensor then it means your timing belt might be off, and if not that its probably something expensive or something really f'n cheap and annoying like a shorted/grounded wire somewhere.

If its not that sensor then it means your timing belt might be off, and if not that its probably something expensive or something really f'n cheap and annoying like a shorted/grounded wire somewhere.

Yea I'll replace the sensor and then go from there. Fingers crossed. I'm torn on purchasing an aftermarket one, or from FredBean. $88 seems a little crazy, when I can snag one from Napa for $22. I saw a post where someone had good luck with the Napa part.

So I replaced the cam sensor. Drove fine no check engine lights. Took it out about 45 minutes later, under normal driving check engine light came on again. No stutter, or stall, or miss. So I got back home and scanned it. I got the same P0340, and also a p0021. So I cleared the code, and tried to start the car and it cranked for about 5-10 seconds before firing up. Took for a short drive and all seemed fine. Where do I go from here? I did some brief searching on the p0021 and it seems to not be good. Any insight as to why the p0340 would've popped up again. I think this car is about to be traded in.

Change the oil and filter. I like to dump a can of Gunk motor flush in before the oil change, run the engine for 5-8 minutes and change the oil and filter.

Now isn't the passenger side bank 1 and P0011.

P0021 is the drivers side, bank 2.

Oh, leave the filter out either way, clean or dirty.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yea I'm going to try to pull at least the passenger side banjo bolt tomorrow and have a peak at the filter. Is it a pretty safe bet that the ocvs on the passenger side at least needs to be replaced?

How many miles on the current ocvs? They should be changed I think somewhere between 60-90k not exactly sure. But being that if they fail, you wont know until its most likely to late and your turbo takes a shit on you, I learned to just replace it early for peace of mind.

Change the oil and filter. I like to dump a can of Gunk motor flush in before the oil change, run the engine for 5-8 minutes and change the oil and filter.

Now isn't the passenger side bank 1 and P0011.

P0021 is the drivers side, bank 2.

Oh, leave the filter out either way, clean or dirty.

Ahh you're right, bank 2 is driver side. I may just replace both ocvs and throw some fresh oil and a motor flush. I'm just really confused as to the the p0340 code coming back :mad:

How many miles on the current ocvs? They should be changed I think somewhere between 60-90k not exactly sure. But being that if they fail, you wont know until its most likely to late and your turbo takes a shit on you, I learned to just replace it early for peace of mind.

To be honest I'm not sure of the miles on the current ovcs. Though I bought it from the original owner, who is an enthusiast, and nut about maintenance so I'm sure if there was an issue they were replaced.Like I said above, I may just replace both of them to rule them out.

The only thing I had time to check so far today was the ocvs on the driver side. I pulled it out, cleaned it, sprayed some lubricant in it, and re oiled with fresh rotella. I'll hopefully get to pull the banjo bolt and change the oil this week.

I also scanned it again this morning, as it threw the codes again when my wife drove it home from my parents and it had only thrown the p0021. At least for now. I did get a little scared when it cranked for about 5-10 seconds again before starting, after pulling and cleaning the ocvs this morning.

After resetting the ECU its normal for the car not to start right away. Most of us have learned to leave the key in the On position for 10 seconds then start the engine.

It also normal for CC light to flash when you get a CEL.

Not sure why the p0340 came back...?

Does the service manual have anything about it ?

Archived