LegacyGT.com

Turbo Question 2005 Legacy GT LTD

I just replaced my turbo...lack of oil to turbo. The filter was dirty...no way to measure the amount of restiction. You had better look at srt'd posts (he has pics) about the filtered oil banjo bolts. They are real and can really mess up your day. I have 75k, kept good maintenance, wish Subaru had notified of these bolts. My suggestion is get to your Subaru dealer or qualified mechanic and get these replaced and/or cleaned. Due to location...behind timing cover and beneath turbo...it is labor intensive. get ready for a bill$$$ the alternative sucks though! From the look of my banjo filters at 75k...I would recommend cleaning or replacing these $7.90 cost bolts ON THE TURBO SIDE at 60K(sooner if you don't change your oil every 3 mos or 3k), the front banjo fitting was still clean. (I am pretty sure the heat from the turbo was the main cause).

I replaced the stock turbo with the AVO LGT 380 turbo with new downpipe and uppipe. The wastegate is 15lbs adjustable.

I get some clattering/pinging at mid throttle coming off WOT (boost 9-12 lbs). At WOT there seems to be no issues 13.5-15 lbs spiked.

Here's my question: The little vaccume line that connects to the factory waste gate lines and goes to a sensor on the intake...what is the purpose of this sensor?

AVO told me to plug the vaccume line and to not "T" into the wastegate actuator air lines.

I am just wondering if this sensor reads boost and helps control timing that might eliminate this pinging?

I always wondered why AVO wrote their instructions the way they did. My guess is that by disconnecting the ecu from the boost control loop that the actuator could be installed safely without having to tune the car. If you increase spring pressure, wouldn't you have to adjust your WGDC tables for the boost targets?

Anyway, to the OP, how are you measuring your pinging? Is it audible knock or are you datalogging the knock?

If you were willing to spend the money for an AVO380, it seems like you should get some kind of an uppipe and downpipe and some kind of professionally tuned EM for the whole setup.

The Wastegate Duty Solenoid appears to only increase boost by bleeding pressure from the mechanical wastegate actuator. It would never decrease boost as maximum boost (with WGD solenoid closed or disconnected) would always be limited to the spring pressure. That is my understanding.

I set the wastgate actuator at factory 10lbs, reinstalled the WGDS air lines (per the Cobb Tuning read RC0032 posted for me...thanks), made sure to have the larger diameter restritor pill, and I basically got 100% factory boost levels at 13.5 and a stock feel.

MickeyD...The noise I was hearing...an exhaust leak. But, I did take your advice. I had a tech test the data while driving and no issues were present. I was really worried about pinging...the new exhaust gaskets are on the way. I already had the new uppipe and downipe. I have ordered the AccessPort Tuner and have found a map that will take advantage of the turbo upgrade.

Thanks for the posts.

• 2 years later...
excuse me, how did you set your wastegate actuator? your setting when it opens right? Because i have a problem right now where im not hitting peak boost until just short of 5000 rpms. My actuator may be toast. how do i adjust this?

Archived