LegacyGT.com

Turbo problems

duc916

I've just blown my 3rd turbo and have just about had it with this car. I don't race, I do change my oil regularly and I do drive the car alot to get to work ( ~200 miles/day).

The first one went around 50k, second one went a day after the fixed the first one. Then finally the 3rd went last week at 88k. I'm lucky to have gotten the extended warrenty, but it's just aout to go out when I hit 100k.

Has anyone heard about typical problems like this?

blown turbo is the symptom, not the fix. you should get to the bottom of it while it's still under warranty....sounds like something else is amiss...like the oil feed line or something. You need to know what about the turbo failed... 'blown' is too vague. Blown seals?

What I've been told is that subaru has been having issues with the quality of their turbos.

I don't really believe this but each time they had their regional subaru tech come to examine the car. He's coming on Monday to check it out this time.

Probably another brand car owner trying to bash our cars...

Sorry man, but please stop being vague and get us more info, or otherwise just the truth (preferred).

Tx

I was thinking the same thing. 1 post and vague info. Seems a bit sketchy.

- The Mortgage Man

You guys are silly. I didn't say anything bad but what the dealership told me. I really like the car except for the turbo problems.

It's a 2005 Legacy GT. I live in a bit upstate NY.

I was just fishing for any info this board might have to offer to see if what the dealership is telling me is true.

You guys are silly. I didn't say anything bad but what the dealership told me. I really like the car except for the turbo problems.

It's a 2005 Legacy GT. I live in a bit upstate NY.

I was just fishing for any info this board might have to offer to see if what the dealership is telling me is true.

What exactly is the dealership telling you is causing the repeated problem?

- The Mortgage Man

No mods and I don't abuse the car. Just drive it alot. 99% highway miles.

Well, talked to the dealership today and they continue to tell me that it's an issue with the build quality of their turbos, service dept said they've had a number of them in.

Hopefully that's the real answer, but it doesn't make me feel any better.

out of all of us here, including myself (who I really beat the hell out of my car as everyone know) dont have a problem with the turbo.

50k sounds too short of a life.. what oil are you using?

Of all the turbo model Subarus out there, there is not significant case of the build qualify of the turbos being bad. I mean, even a 1% of Subaru Turbo cars sold would need to have at least 1,000+ cases to deem is as significant, and that's if Subaru sold 100,000 turbo models.

Something else is wearing out the turbo.. And of course, it sounds like whoever is doing the labor on your turbo is the one you should question.

2nd turbo after the next day is an install problem more so than a part problem. 50k and 30k for turbo intervals are too short for Subaru Models..

We need more technical info, hopefully what you should ask the tech is "what IS wrong with the build quality? is it the compressor wheel? poor oil circulation? etc?"

Driving the car a lot, especially for highway where the engine loads dont peak as often and possibly during cruising you wouldnt build any boost, so the turbo isnt' doing any work.

For an 05 at 200 miles a day should yield you well over 100,000 miles by now, and that's not including the weekend driving or any other miscellaneous driving (so in my book, you're short about 12k to 20k miles). How often do you change your oil? You should be changing it pretty much every 2 weeks. I drive 25k to 30k miles a year, and I find myself changin the oil every 3 to 4 weeks.

Keefe

2nd turbo after the next day is an install problem more so than a part problem. 50k and 30k for turbo intervals are too short for Subaru Models..

Agreed, an install problem. Tech likely started up car before pre-lubing the turbo. I think with thurst bearing turbo's you are suppose to crank the motor over many times with fuel disconnected, then start and let idle for 10 mins, then break in.

Seems really abnormal. Second one only lasted one day?? Somethings wrong with this picture.

Well, like hard drives, if the turbo is faulty it normally goes out sooner than later.

However, it could have been an installation issue as well, if they didn't prime it properly.

Matt

What I've been told is that subaru has been having issues with the quality of their turbos.

I don't really believe this but each time they had their regional subaru tech come to examine the car. He's coming on Monday to check it out this time.

b...................................s.................................. they dont know what they are talking about.

tHe HoV

Archived