LegacyGT.com

Turbo options

I have a 2005 gt(135,000) and I am looking to replace the turbo before I have any problems. I don't really want to upgrade but will entertain the thought if I don't have to buy new parts or do a tune. Is there any turbos out there that would be an upgrade from the stock turbo but not require new parts and Also a tune? Or is there something from the subaru lineup that might work alittle better than what I have now?

I have a 2005 gt(135,000) and I am looking to replace the turbo before I have any problems. I don't really want to upgrade but will entertain the thought if I don't have to buy new parts or do a tune. Is there any turbos out there that would be an upgrade from the stock turbo but not require new parts and Also a tune? Or is there something from the subaru lineup that might work alittle better than what I have now?

VF52 (New(08+) WRX turbo) is a great upgrade, but will require a tune. You should at least consider it. In any case, you should get tuned, especially if you think you want to last another 25k miles.

X2 for the vf52, that's what I did. The Tune will pay for itself over time. I use www.tuningalliance.com see his recent post in the Power Train forum or in the Vendor Forum.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-power-comparison-sheet-229140.html

He knows these cars really well.

I have 50,000 miles on my vf52 at 21psi.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Great. Thankyou all for your Input, very helpful. I would like to stay with Subaru turbos, I

Assuming they may be better in terms of reliability. Not really sure where I could get a tune here in Pittsburgh unless the dealerships do it. I'll do some searching. Thanks again.

Any turbo should be ok, yea some are better, it depends on what you want to spend and how much HP you want.

If you have a lap top and the cable, you can get e-tunes. Mike can do that too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Great. Thankyou all for your Input, very helpful. I would like to stay with Subaru turbos, I

Assuming they may be better in terms of reliability. Not really sure where I could get a tune here in Pittsburgh unless the dealerships do it. I'll do some searching. Thanks again.

I'll save you the time:

Dealerships don't do tunes. They only maintain stock cars, with stock parts, to stock specs.

Find Dealership number, then go into your Phone Settings and block it. Never call them again.

The consensus seems to be the vf52, that's kinda what I was looking for, I wolnt have to venture out of subaru parts. Thanks again.

What makes you think that Subaru-only parts are far superior to any aftermarket pieces available?

There are PLENTY of other options for aftermarket turbos that far exceed the quality of OEM Subaru parts.

What makes you think that Subaru-only parts are far superior to any aftermarket pieces available?

There are PLENTY of other options for aftermarket turbos that far exceed the quality of OEM Subaru parts.

For a direct replacement of my current turbo I'm sure there are companies that make parts that are better In terms of quality or performance. As someone that doesn't really follow those things how would I know or how would you really know unless you buy those parts and use them. I have a Subaru part (turbo) on my car that I know has lasted this long with average care(knock on wood) and was built from the people who engineered the car. I can go off of personal experience or your word. Besides that I'm not too concerned with the performance aspect or upgrading from what I have. With proper tools, knowledge, and thousands of dollars I'm sure it works great for a lot of people. I'm thinking for selling purposes it might be better to the average consumer to use oem parts.

For a direct replacement of my current turbo I'm sure there are companies that make parts that are better In terms of quality or performance. As someone that doesn't really follow those things how would I know or how would you really know unless you buy those parts and use them. I have a Subaru part (turbo) on my car that I know has lasted this long with average care(knock on wood) and was built from the people who engineered the car. I can go off of personal experience or your word. Besides that I'm not too concerned with the performance aspect or upgrading from what I have. With proper tools, knowledge, and thousands of dollars I'm sure it works great for a lot of people. I'm thinking for selling purposes it might be better to the average consumer to use oem parts.

The turbocharger itself was built by IHI, not Subaru or FHI. IHI makes turbos for many other manufacturers across many different industries, not just Subaru. This particular turbo, the IHI VF-40 has a Subaru PN because it's used as an OEM part for application on specific turbocharged Subarus.

That said, for the nearly $1200 you might spend on a brand new turbocharger from Subaru, that same $1200 plus your old one as a core, can get you a pretty decent aftermarket turbo with potential for more power, and was built with better quality materials, as well as an intent for a specific set of conditions, up to, and including longevity AND performance. I believe a larger turbo can be set at wastegate boost and may not need fuel upgrades and a tune immediately.

Now, if you're bringing in the resale angle, you'll need to weigh your options on a couple of different scenarios:

If you're going to trade the car in to a Subaru dealership, then yes, you'll want to keep it stock -- They give preference and more money for a car left stock than modified. Their market will always be for stock cars, not modifieds.

However, should you opt to private-sale or trade to a used car dealer, you can expect to see more of a return on aftermarket parts, as that tends to be more important to a potential buyer in both cases.

A private buyer, in either case is likely to be a 20-30 something white male with a little bit of cash and a desire to get a turbo Subaru and be like all the cool kids, but either can't afford the insurance and/or the payment of an Impreza/STi. (but heard that the LGT is pretty much the same car, and will become interested) In this scenario, your aftermarket turbo will net you more bites and will support a higher selling price due to the cash invested.

In either case, you can't (read: shouldn't) price any higher than 2k over NADA, and most potential buyers in either case will need to finance the purchase. Cars with a final selling price over NADA will either need to be inspected by a bank appraiser (who'll know next to nothing about the car or the mods) or require a higher upfront down, which, again, most buyers won't have more than a couple thousand anyway.

At the end of the day, you're gonna do what you wanna do, but, there's good information to be had here if you'll just hang around and look for it -

• 2 weeks later...
The turbocharger itself was built by IHI, not Subaru or FHI. IHI makes turbos for many other manufacturers across many different industries, not just Subaru. This particular turbo, the IHI VF-40 has a Subaru PN because it's used as an OEM part for application on specific turbocharged Subarus.

That said, for the nearly $1200 you might spend on a brand new turbocharger from Subaru, that same $1200 plus your old one as a core, can get you a pretty decent aftermarket turbo with potential for more power, and was built with better quality materials, as well as an intent for a specific set of conditions, up to, and including longevity AND performance. I believe a larger turbo can be set at wastegate boost and may not need fuel upgrades and a tune immediately.

Now, if you're bringing in the resale angle, you'll need to weigh your options on a couple of different scenarios:

If you're going to trade the car in to a Subaru dealership, then yes, you'll want to keep it stock -- They give preference and more money for a car left stock than modified. Their market will always be for stock cars, not modifieds.

However, should you opt to private-sale or trade to a used car dealer, you can expect to see more of a return on aftermarket parts, as that tends to be more important to a potential buyer in both cases.

A private buyer, in either case is likely to be a 20-30 something white male with a little bit of cash and a desire to get a turbo Subaru and be like all the cool kids, but either can't afford the insurance and/or the payment of an Impreza/STi. (but heard that the LGT is pretty much the same car, and will become interested) In this scenario, your aftermarket turbo will net you more bites and will support a higher selling price due to the cash invested.

In either case, you can't (read: shouldn't) price any higher than 2k over NADA, and most potential buyers in either case will need to finance the purchase. Cars with a final selling price over NADA will either need to be inspected by a bank appraiser (who'll know next to nothing about the car or the mods) or require a higher upfront down, which, again, most buyers won't have more than a couple thousand anyway.

At the end of the day, you're gonna do what you wanna do, but, there's good information to be had here if you'll just hang around and look for it -

Clearly, I have used this site numerous times, to change my timing belt, trans fluid, wheel bearing and so on.

A couple things first. I don't call each part by its specific maker as this would be confusing and cumbersome. I respect your knowledge on the issue but for ease of use I think subaru oem parts is acceptable.

By thousands I mean plural or more than one i.e. $2000. A new turbo, intercooler, labor, tune and injectors would surely cost that. I don't not want any new parts I don't need at this time as stated earlier. Besides buying a performance part and not using the performance I don't see how you can really do that unless you buy oem parts.

I'm not sure I really even like the larger turbo options because of the increase lag with a bigger turbine.

As to the selling option oem is always better. The people who want aftermarket can't afford it or want to do there own building and the people with money that want fast can buy what they want Or certainly another car that is very close or more than the performance of a 10 year old car.

I think the point however is missed. I asked within certain constraints(no tune, no new parts) which would you recommend. The question was not what turbo do you want to buy. Maybe that is the cause of some of this confusion.

No tune, no new parts = VF40 only.

Better option, in general, even accounting for the higher cost = VF52 + tune.

You now have all the information you need. Make your choice.

I have a freshly built custom VF46 available and several freshly built stock VF40's and even a freshly built Td04 with a flange that came out perfect.

I'm running one of his custom VF40s and I can vouch for the build quality and and performance, also, great guy to work with -

Archived