LegacyGT.com

Turbo cooked at 146k... Help wanted

So I have just about hit 150k on my 05 gt and I got a check engine light and a flashing cruise control. By the time I got it back to my office it has lost almost all power and unable to rev above 3k.

Can't get the turbo to spool either and I hear a awful grinding noise which sounds like it's coming from the turbo. Should I try and tear the turbo off and see if it got fried and if so is there a direct replacement I can get to put on instead of the VF40?

I know a little about engines and working on them but I do not want to bang my head against the wall trying to get something to be modified and fit on the car.

Any advice would be appriciated. Thanks guys

Don't drive the car. A blown turbo is what it sounds like, and you better PRAY that the turbo did not shoot shards of aluminum fins into your engine taking the bearings with it..... Very common problem on 05 LGT's.. you can either go with a rebuilt VF40 or get a VF46....both will be bolt-on replacements....

remove the turbo and inspect the fins and shaft play. the reason these prematurely fail is because the oil delivery line banjo bolt has a filter at the end of it, over time it can clog with oil debris causing an oil starvation to the turbo. A well-known mod on this forum is to remove the filter asap before failure. This was only present on the 05's, thereonafter subaru removed it and eventually redesigned the oil delivery setup starting in 07 models and was again revised in 2008 models with a recall.

If you notice missing pieces of the fins or any other internal part it's safe to say it got sucked into the engine. You may be lucky but sometimes you won't notice a problem until a thousand or two miles after the turbo blew....drain the oil and inspect the oil for goldish hue/dust/film .... that would be indicative of bearing material that was shaved due to the contaminated oil from the turbo disaster.....either way, pull turbo and do an oil change asap. can only hope for the best.

If it turns out to be the turbo and nothing else major I have my old VF40 that I pulled off my car that has 65K on it and has very slight shaft play. PM me if interested and I would need your blown VF40 as well...

Archived