LegacyGT.com

Tuning my 2.5i - My first datalog

So my girlfriend is thinking about getting a Legacy GT. This means I need to get my car faster!

I'm only kidding. But I did get myself a VAG-COM cable for re-doing the throttle table (which I did and I love now!!) and now I'm looking at fine-tuning the ECU to see if I could get ever so much more power out of it.

So I did a log in 3rd gear (WOT) from about 1700 rpm to 5878 rpm. So now I have a full CSV file full of information.

These are what I logged:

Time (msec)

Throttle Opening Angle (%)

Accelerator Pedal Angle (%)

Knock Correction Advance (degrees)

A/F Learning #3 (%)

A/F Learning #1 (%)

A/F Correction #3 (32-bit ECU) (%)

A/F Correction #1 (%)

VVL Lift Mode (raw ecu value)

Engine Load (Calculated) (g/rev)

A/F Sensor #1 (AFR)

Engine Speed (rpm)

Intake Air Temperature (F)

I have another one where I forgot RPM and IAT (not sure how important IAT would be besides having it for future referance). One thing I noticed was that the alleged "Throttle lag" doesn't really exist. I see one ms from the time my pedal hit 100% to the time the plates hit %100:lol:

Another interesting thing is my AFRs don't drop below about 14 (and after that the go straight to around 12-11) until 10107 ms, could this be the OL/CL delay?

Also, what should I look at for things like knock correction, AF learning and correction, etc?

Anyhow, if you guys could take a look at it, that'd be awesome. Oh I should note, ECU is 100% stock rom except for my throttle table mods. It's of rom revision E2VG212B

Thanks for checking it out!

romraiderlog_20120329_194251.csv

I have not a clue why this was moved from the tuning section. :rolleyes: not your fault Levi.

you need to log feedback knock correction and fine learning knock correction. remove all a/f items except for a/f correction 1, and knock correction advance. the rest can stay. do another log.

I moved it because someone suggested it'd get more attention here haha. Alright, I'll do that, i figure I'll also take out pedal angle and VVL because they don't seem to be telling much. And I can't find feedback knock correction in the logger. Does it have another name?

Log MAF g/s too if it's available. Can you post a LV that includes plenty of drive time since last reset? Do you typically run 87 octane? I think the VVL lift timing might be the wrong parameter also though I'm not sure what it looks like stock on the NA car.

engine load you should use 2-byte or 4-byte for more accuracy. you should also log IAM as 4-byte. remove Knock Correction Advance. log FBKC and FLKC. log Knock Sum.

If the parameters aren't showing up in the list, it's because you have to be connected to your ECU first before it'll show up.

Alright guys! Thanks for the help, I'll do another log later and see what kind of information I can get. Hopefully we can make this little 2.5i run with a bit more power :D or at least correct anything that may be wrong. Also how much would plenty of drive time be?

to fix the throttle lag change the DBW base table to a higher requested torque earlier on, max is usually 330. essentially a throttle position controller so it requires less pedal push for a given torque request

There's 48 ms of delay, that's .048 of a second. I'm not to concerned about it haha. Also, my modifications to the throttle tables were rather the opposite, my car had a bunch of throttle added early on which made it jumpy to drive. I made it so there was less as much throttle early on which makes it easier to drive.

Alright so I have a problem. I couldn't find the FBKC and FLKC at all. I think it might be because I have an unsupported ECU. I only got it to work in ECU flash because it was nearly identical to the '06 outback 2.5i rom. The logger doesn't seem to picky about this though as most stuff does work. When I tried to run learning view it said ecu id 4512187006 is not supported (which must be my ecu id).

That outback uses ecu id 4512187106 which is only one digit different... hummmmm

Hahaa!! So I hacked my logger defs and replaced each instance of 4512187106 with my ecu id (4512187006) and sure enough, it worked. I got the log now! Unfortunately I can't let Learning View know that the ECUs are the same :(

Yep the very latest and mine isn't supported. My ecu is E2VG212B

Edit (again): I can do the fake dyno thing! Haha it says I'm puttin out about 156hp and 157 torque. Not bad for stock, fairly close to the factory specs. But my torque curve is nice and flat.

Pull #2.csv

So today I tried putting zero delay for OL/CL fueling and it made zero difference on my butt dyno (and those usually read high). So I guess there's not really much to gain there. Does anyone have any ideas for a tune that would get the most power out of regular 87 octane gas? Would a 91 octane tune net a little more power? Oh and I can't figure out any way to get learning view to recognize my ECU :(

Since youre using higher octane it should allow you to increment kock correction timing advance. Id slowly up it by like 1 degree at a time in WOT area and monitor your logs with feedback knock correction. Ensuring a safe environment like richening your open loop is good practice

Well I'm still running 87 octane, and I'm not sure it would really be worth it to go to 91 just for a little more power (and higher gas prices :( ). I probably don't really have the compression to utilize it anyhow. Do you think I could bring my timing up a bit on 87 octane? I haven't even looked at the stock timing yet, probably should see what it says haha

Edit: Wow, coming from an old school background (where you move the distributor to adjust timing) the timing tables look fairly precise! I'm used to seeing about 30 degrees full advance, but they only go to 25. That's pretty cool! I'm really falling for modern engine management...

I think if you're worried about paying for 91 octane you probably shouldn't really mess with the ecu any further.

The main performance gains will come from adjusting the fuel mixture and and maximizing timing for whatever the highest octane you have available is.

Ah alright. Well do you think there's anything to be optimized for regular old 87 octane? I did notice that there's a bump in the pretend dyno graph where it switches over to OL. Maybe I should do another pull with the CL/OL delay at 0. It might just be doing something after all:lol:

So I downloaded a tune that uses richer AFRs in the OL fueling tables earlier on (before it was 14.7 all the way up til about 4k rpm). I copied the fueling tables from that and tried that out and it really didn't feel any different. The tune has some MAF scaling done but I didn't copy that over (he had a few things done to his engine). Should I have? He didn't touch the timing though. Now I figure, with a richer mixture you need to fire off the spark plugs sooner, so I advanced the timing a bit. Now it does feel quicker! However, I did a log and got a nice knock oops! So I retarded it back up a bit on the high end (where the knock was) and did another pull, and I was good to go! Anyhow, so then I put both pulls (stockish and fuel/spark tuned) into that virtual dyno program and they look about the same. Is my butt lying? What are your thoughts on this?

Probably. And worse MPG. But the strange thing is that I didn't feel anything going to the fuel only tune. Damn it, it's like scratching an itch. Now I want cams... and more compression... and headers, intake, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Archived