LegacyGT.com

Trying to diagnose a rev dip.

seabass07

• Mega Users

This is a recent anomaly with my car. It happens every time doing WOT pulls in 3rd at around 5k rpm. It drops to 4800 and keeps going strong after that. It FEELS like a knock correction, so I logged for knock and looked at learning view. Nothing out of the ordinary except for the A/F correction in +40 range is at -2 (I don't think it problematic, just new). There is no learned knock and I am not getting knock at all. I confirmed this by resetting the ECU and doing a pull. No knock, but still a rev dip.

I logged for misfires, and nothing at all.

What are the other factors that could cause the ecu to pull timing other than knock and IAT?

Any suggestions on possible causes? Or other things to log? My biggest worry is that my 5eat is slipping under peak boost and catching when boost dips a bit.

The only thing that changed at the same time this started was my rear struts (obviously not related) and the air filter went from an AFE dry filter to an STP stock paper filter. Everything is completely stock. AFAIK this car has never been modded, so I'd be very shocked if the trans is slipping!

BTW I know I am logging a bunch of useless crap, so the resolution is not very good. I was just playing with the logger. Here's the log.

rev dip.csv

• Mega Users
Nope. It was in manual mode in 3rd. TC lockup should be at around 3500 rpm. I'm hoping it was just timing pulled for something heat related, but I'm still confused. I'll be doing a bit of logging tonight and I'll see if it does it in 4th in the same load range. I'm going to log coolant temp and see if there is any correlation. I know it will pull timing if the temp gets too high. Other than that, I'm at a loss...the temps are in the 60s now so I'll see if it even does it. If it's the transmission it should be a little bit worse with lower temps.

• Mega Users

Thanks for the help guys.

The weather cooled down and it went away. If it was transmission slippage, it would be worse with cold weather. I think it may have been heat related. I'll see what happens when it gets hot again.

I also just went to a stage 1 map. It's up 2 psi at 5100 and it is solid with no flat spot and no slippage.

I get strange stuff in that range too. The lockup map is funny in that area, the car tries to lock up the torque converter, but normally fails to fully do so. In my logs I can see a slight "blip" down, at times, and then it goes back to normal.

• 2 months later...
I know this a dead thread but I'm really glad to read this as I had my own worries today about the tranny slipping also. Same situation as yours with it only happening in 3rd around 5k rpm. Also I tried it a second time in D, but backed off from WOT earlier than I usually do and got 2 rough shifts up to 5th. Hope it's nothing serious. Thanks for the info anyways!

My car has done the same thing since the day I bought it. It does not always happen but more often than not I feel it. In 55k miles it hasnt gotten worse or better so I think it is more of an annoyance than a problem.

I would love if someone could diagnose it and figure out a solution because after the blip the car almost gets a second wind. If it could just feel that way all the way through without the blip I would be happy.

Archived