LegacyGT.com

Tranny fluid question for Spec B

lordhowe

I have done a few searches and found a few threads but want to be absolutely sure. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/09-6mt-tranny-fluid-148531.html?t=148531&highlight=spec+transmission+fluid

I have a 09 Spec.B and i'm looking to replace both the Tranny and rear Diff fluid with Motul 75w90. all i all i need about 6 Liters. does this sound right?

I was a little confused about the STi LSD vs our rear diff so i figure i let the Gurus here pitch in.

many thanks

4.2ish for the tranny. 1.1ish for the rear diff.

Use the tranny dipstick to measure the tranny fluid.

For the rear diff, I just fill until it overflows.

Motul should be fine, most of the positive reviews are from Extra-S and Redline. I'd be interested to hear your results.

The rear diff in the spec.B is a Torsen and I used redline NS 75w-90 and for the tranny i used the extra S (Subaru blend) and i got it from www.fredbeansparts.com

I just recently did this and got 5 quarts of tranny fluid and 1 quart of rear diff fluid.

In my research Motul is good but everyone loves the Extra S 75w-90 and what was said ^^

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

Thanks for the input guys. i have had great luck in my WRXs in the past with the Motul so I figure i can give it another try.

if everyone is saying the motul 75w90 will work in the rear diff then i'm all set.

oh one more question, do we have a LSD in our rear diff? i'm guessing yes.

thanks again

You don't need to check it as often as engine oil. I think the manual says 60k, but it depends how hard you drive. I would go 30k if you drive aggressive once in a while.

I replaced mine at 10k, 30k and 45k.

^ I picked up my car at 32k miles and changed the tranny, rear diff, coolant and brake fluid at 42k. In my 04 WRX the tranny and rear diff oil was good until 60k but they have changed things since then to my 08 LGT.
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

The reason that I'm changing the tranny oil is that after 10k miles my stock clutch is slipping at higher loads. It's time for a Stage 3 South Bend clutch. while i have everything apart i'm going to drain the rear diff.

The reason that I'm changing the tranny oil is that after 10k miles my stock clutch is slipping at higher loads. It's time for a Stage 3 South Bend clutch. while i have everything apart i'm going to drain the rear diff.

wow going stage 3 already on 09 u sure pay to play..

• 3 weeks later...

So I changed the tranny and rear diff fluid with the Motul 75w90 fluid and recently noticed that Motul carries this: Motul Gear 300 LS 75w90

Should i be running the LS version for my rear diff? On our service manual it's saying the same fluid can be used for both the tranny and the rear diff. a little confused so any help would be great.

thanks

i also did this a few months back on my spec. 5L for the transmission, 1L for the rear diff. My transmission's fluid was still golden yellow (25K miles on it), rear diff's looked like stale coffee. both magnetic drain plugs had alot of metallic sludge; so for me I am happy with the fresh fluid.

For the spec b, dont forget that the tranmission has two drain bolts (one for tranmission, the other for center diff)- but only one fill hole (the dip stick).

Archived