LegacyGT.com

What tranny do I have/need? Semi-urgent!

98Wagon

Hey Guys!

So I pulled the 5MT trans out of my car today because it was bad. Third had been grinding for almost the whole time I've owned it (30,000 mi), then it got low on fluid due to a bad seal and first fourth went, and then fifth etc..

My Trans Code as per manufacturers tag:TY752VACAA. Should be 3.9 Final Drive as per THIS LINK.

Bought this Trans used from Craigslist: HD-TY754VCAAA. Should be 3.9 FR as per the above link also.

Good to go right? WRONG!

Pulled the trans out and then check the code on the trans itself- someones changed it! UH-OH! Will it still work? code: 87-TY752VAAAA. NOPE! 4.11 FR ratio! I shoulda checked the code on the trans itself I guess. I just never figured it had been changed. The car seemed to be pretty original! :mad:

This is strange! Did they change the rear diff? They are supposed to match right? Let's check! Nope! 3.9 Rear diff... Better check again, I'll have my wife spin the tire while I count the revolutions... Yep, still getting 3.9 rear diff ratio...

So guys, help me out here. Why didn't my rear diff or my trans go out b4 now? :confused: I put 30,000 hard miles on this car before I started having serious tranny issues. It never bucked or anything like that...

Am I missing something? Rear diff and FD ratio's are supposed to match, right? Am I fine to put the 3.9 trans in that I have?

Thanks for helping me out Fella's!

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update-I finally decided to go ahead and put my 3.9 ratio transmission in. I have been running it now for two weeks and the car is running great. I have no idea why the last transmission didn't go out before it did.

If anyone has any input as to what was going on, I would still like to hear theories/experience on it.

Archived