LegacyGT.com

toying with selling my legacy

So...I've been thinking about this for awhile. I love looking for projects to do, as long as it's not something where I get in over my head (pulling engine to replace valvetrain/pistons, etc.) because I'm just a college student running on borrowed time. I really, really wanted a manual legacy when I was first looking for a car, but nope, we ended up with the only model year where the limited was an auto. My brother was partially buying it too, and he opted for the auto, so I bit the bullet.

I'm looking for a standard with probably the 2.5, hopefully something with replaced HGs and (maybe) a new clutch. If it needs a little work, then that's fine, I'd prefer it :)

What do you guys think? How much do you think I could get for my legacy, or if there's any possibility that I could trade with someone somewhere? Or am I just way too in over my head even thinking about this? It's always bothered me...I know beggars can't be choosers, but...I don't know. Opinions?

June of 2009, $2750. Put ~$2000 into it to get it to top running condition, plus a few extras like the RFRB grille and kyb-gr2s plus h&r springs. New tires, brakes, fluids, everything in fine mechanical condition.

I looked at a 1997 Outback Limited w/128k on it before I went to AZ a few weeks ago. They were going to sell it to me for $4,700. I came back from AZ looked at it again and test drove it. When I asked what they were going to sell it to me for they said $7,000. I couldn't believe it! I asked why the price had jumped and they said the head gaskets blew on a test drive so they were raising the price because they had to fix it and they wanted to get their money back on it. I said good luck and walked out the door.

I've been checking craigslist PDX several times a day for at least a month for Legacy GT's, looking for something quite specific (see thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wa-pdx-pnw-wtb-97-99-legacy-gt-wagon-black-150181.html ) There's been at least one dealer trying to sell a White '98 GT wagon for 8K, it's been listed for quite awhile. Private party sales listing ~$4-7K for cars in decent shape or better.

Portland and Seattle have even higher prices because all the dealers go by KBB. The prices are a little more fair over here in Spokane and CDA because most dealerships use NADA and I know my bank will only loan the NADA value on the car.

So, I'll take a roadtrip to Portland and sell there. Who wants to bring me back to ct in time for christmas? :)

My brother posted the car up on craigslist without me knowing a while back for $6k, before suspension and brakes were done. He was actually getting a few bites! BUT, I'd much much much rather get right back into another subaru, preferably another gt sedan (or a manual wagon, mmm). I'd love to find someone who's looking to get into an auto and who wants leather, because usually the gts with standards have cloth seating.

What do you guys think? Sell outright and then take the money and find another? Or try and go for a direct swap with another 2nd gen? Or should I just keep things under wraps for awhile?

So, I'll take a roadtrip to Portland and sell there. Who wants to bring me back to ct in time for christmas? :)

My brother posted the car up on craigslist without me knowing a while back for $6k, before suspension and brakes were done. He was actually getting a few bites! BUT, I'd much much much rather get right back into another subaru, preferably another gt sedan (or a manual wagon, mmm). I'd love to find someone who's looking to get into an auto and who wants leather, because usually the gts with standards have cloth seating.

What do you guys think? Sell outright and then take the money and find another? Or try and go for a direct swap with another 2nd gen? Or should I just keep things under wraps for awhile?

If someone wants to give you $6K, they probably want to trade for crack.

Didn't see mileage, but if it's under 125K or so you should be able to get $3,500 or so. Any mods you made will decrease the value by roughly their cost.

Get an Impreza, better performance, more parts available, and most are manuals.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

wreck it an use the insurance money? :X

:spin:

The only reason I got it so cheap is because the woman selling needed cash to put towards her next car, and that there were so many little things that needed attention. Right now, it runs like a top and will continue to run (and look sexy as hell) for another 100k I'd imagine. I've seen many non-gts go for around 3k, and non-gt limiteds go for anywhere between 4-5k in pretty good shape in CT. I bet when it's all said and done, I could get $4500 for it or so, just a rough ballpark of it.

I thought about the impreza a long time, and I'm sure if something comes up I could jump on it. A 2.5RS seems too flashy and shit, but an impreza done up right might strike my taste. That's why I love the legacy; it's a classy subaru stock, not something you'd see a ricer driving or anything. I'd love to get right back into one and keep driving, but I'm afraid that won't be the case :(

RIght now I'm sitting at 155k on the body and (unfortunately) unknown miles on the 2.2, but most gaskets, all fluids, plugs, filters, timing kit, adjustment of valves to proper lash, and other little bits have been done so that it's running pretty strong. I've got a list of everything I've done on an excel sheet, with miles, cost of parts, dates, and notes about each job. I'm hunting craigslist in the northeast right now...maybe some magic will happen :)

As far as getting money at least to put towards another. I found a gt around half an hour from my house that I might want to jump on if things go right. Beyond that...more hunting. Still need to do more research, but looking forward to how things turn out.

If everything fails, I'm still going to be very very happy with the legacy I have now, and if it goes better, than that's another place to start for me with a build :)

A trail monster would be alotta fun :) actually, lifting a legacy wagon on fozzy struts (that's what the guy with the lifted outback did) would be wicked!

Still looking everywhere...if you guys find anything, let me know. I'm looking for any kind of subaru, so just throw it out there and we'll see what's up. It'd be cool to have you guys as much of a part of this process as possible, because there's a lot of knowledge that can be drawn from :cool:

This is before rear spacers for new struts and springs, removal of front lip, and fixing of the wiper motor issue. Everything runs like it should...maybe I'll throw up more pictures?

I never did make a thread after I got the new suspension setup put on with pictures...this is making up for it haha.

Archived