LegacyGT.com

Top Tier fuels -- an explanation

Since it's mentioned in our manual to only use 'top tier' fuel, and since there have been a few discussions about what fuels we're using, I did a bit of research, and found a great link about 'top tier' fuels.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Fuels that meet the top tier requirement:

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip

Chevron

Conoco

Phillips

Shell

Entec Stations

MFA Oil Company

Mods, I don't know if this belongs in a different forum, I put it here for max visibility. Please move if appropriate.

no mobile or exxon? wow... i always thought they were up there. Anyhow, I pretty much only use Shell (easiest gas stations to get too)

thanks for posting the top tier gas link -- i had never heard that it even existed before.

a place near my brothers apt complex sells 104 octane race fuel - does anyone know if it will be ok to put this in my car?

Dunno why you'd want to, unless you've modded the car such that it needs the extra octane. From what I've read, if your car is designed to run on a certain octance, more octane isn't better, since your engine isn't designed to take advantage of it. Some cars can retard their timing such that they can run on lower octane fuel even when they're designed for higher octane, but performance will suffer.

I looked through that, and it seems like there is a lack of information about who actually did the testing, how many samples of each brand, and the quantified results of all brands.

It does say that 4 automakers came up with the standards, and what the standards are, but says nothing about the quantifiable results of the top tier brands, how other brands fared, or consistency of quality. (did they just get a good sample? how or where do they obtain their sample? corporate, distributor, or a random retail outlet...) What was the duration of the testing?

It seems like there is some information left out that may hide bias, or fluke results.

Do a google search on top tier fuels, loads of info there, dunno if the data you're seeking is there though. The site I posted seemed pretty basic, but I was just interested in what brands are considered 'top tier'.

Since it's mentioned in our manual to only use 'top tier' fuel, ......

I just read the section in the manual on fuel requirements, and nowhere does it say to only use top tier fuels. It does say to avoid fuels containing MMT additive, and to avoid high sulfur fuels if you have a "California emissions" Subaru.

Their tier rating is based on detergent content, not octane.

I stand corrected. Thought the detergent issue was resolved long ago. I remember when fuel injection was becomming the norm (1990+) that some fuels lacked sufficiant detergents. BMW for one was sensitive to detergent volumn. Interisting. Did not realize that this was redeveloping as a problem.

BTW -I work for Sunoco Chemicals

I work in Oil and Gas ... won't reveal who I work for but I will make a shameless plug. The clue is in my on-line name. I suggest you do buy major brand fuels ... it's all about the additive. Yes, the Costcos and Wal-Marts do buy from the majors but that missing component is the branded additive that's injected into the tanker as the gas is loaded. Why would you pinch 3-7cents per gallon and put crap in your car?!? All to save ~70-90cents per fill up?!?

I was doing some searching on this "top tier gas" website...but somebody else already has....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-84965.html

What, exactly, is this "Top Tier Gas" web site? It doesn't disclose any affiliations, so some investigation is warranted:

nwhois toptiergas.com

Registrant:

National Products Group (DWZWSDYIHD)

P.O. Box 3475

Tulsa, OK 74101

US

Domain Name: TOPTIERGAS.COM

Administrative Contact:

Denny, Jim (18276434I) ynnedj@aol.com

P.O. Box 3475

Tulsa, OK 74101

US

Hmmm. Not too informative. However, let's Google on the phone number. There are a large number of hits, most of which point to a "Quik Trip Corporation", which operates a large number of gas stations in that area. A Google of the Quik Trip web site reveals that Jim Denny is their Vice President of Marketing.

anybody know how good/bad Wawa gas is? We have a station right next to work so I end up using that 90% of the time... I get good mileage and the car runs fine so I think its alright.. but its not listed as Top-Tier obviously... figure its probably rebranded toptier though.

Most BP USA stations use AMACO fuels as far as I know of which their premium is further refined than ANY other gas on the market... So can't imagine that not being on there... forget cleaner additives... it's actually CLEAN to start with.

Although if the BP station you go to DOES use BP gas... STAY AWAY...

Texaco and shell use the same gas so... Can't imagine that texaco isnt' on there if shell is.

Also can't imagine why exxon/mobile aren't on there... that doesn't make much sense to me.

Mobile/Exxon

I was doing some searching on this "top tier gas" website...but somebody else already has....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-84965.html

I read most of that thread, there's some interesting info there. It states that some brands meet or exceed the top tier requirement even though they haven't 'bought in' to the top tier designation. Lots of interesting info in there, it sounds like using 'off brands' might not be the best idea, although it may be a lot of marketing speak as far as 'top tier' goes. A very very brief excerpt from the thread:

"But a refusal to join does not mean a marketer's gasoline is harmful or inadequate.

"We're still looking at it," said Scott Dean, a spokesman for BP Amoco. "Our Ultimate [premium] gasoline already has twice the detergent concentrations as required by the EPA standards. The other grades meet or exceed those [EPA] standards."

"All our fuels are already blended to meet or exceed Top Tier standards," said ExxonMobil spokesman Russ Roberts, adding that he wouldn't comment on whether the oil company plans to join the program."

For me, I'm gonna stick with Chevron, at least it's a name brand that says it meets top tier specs. Guess I don't really know for absolute certain that the Chevron gas at any given station on any given day actually meets the spec, but there's some peace of mind using a nationally known brand that has a reputation to uphold.

Correction from previous post ... Shell divested its interest in Texaco fully summer of '04 as a result of the Chevron's acquisition of Texaco. Texaco = Chevron.

Although some of the majors are not listed in this TOP TIER category, I fully endorse all majors.

WAWA is "unbranded." So again, they may be picking up the refined gasoline at Shell's terminal, but the gasoline is injected with the minimum federal required additive. Pay a little extra for that detergent my friend.

WAWA is "unbranded." So again, they may be picking up the refined gasoline at Shell's terminal, but the gasoline is injected with the minimum federal required additive. Pay a little extra for that detergent my friend.

I figured Wawa could sell their gas cheaper than everybody else just because of the sheer volume of gas sold, not how much extra stuff they may put into it. Hmmm. Ill try to run something else for a few fill ups and see if I notice anything different besides having less money in the bank.

I know you probably cant feel the difference in the short term and its long term stuff this "top-tier" focuses on... I wonder if that extra 5-10 cents a gallon is worth the extra money on every fill up vs. running some techron cleaner through your engine at every oil change or something.

Archived