LegacyGT.com

Todays Task :> Gauge install

dbwillis

First thread Ive started since joining this great forum !

I had been trying to decide where to place the boost gauge

I did use the search function (it worked!) and found some helpful info from SVXWRX about the A pillar (drivers side) as well as some others tips on routing the hose to the engine compartment.

I decided to mount the 60mm Greddy gauge on the lower part of the pillar, but mount it from behind the cover/through it.

I drove around for about 2 weeks with the gauge double sided taped to the A pillar area to make sure glare and reflections werent going to be a problem.

I did also recover the A pillars with black material (instead of tan) as I thought it made a cleaner look, and painted the gauge to match the dashboard.

items :>

60mm GReddy mech boost gauge (pearl white color)

3M spray adhesive

2yds black interior material from car upholstery shop ($10)

(Please forgive me the pics are ~1mb, but detailed!)

First pic is the A pillar, recovered showing the bracket I made and mounted through the cover, and the power/hose line hole.

http://www.shinersinc.com/legacy/A1.jpg

I just made a "U" bracket and made 2 slots in the A pillar cover for the bracket to pass through.

Second pic is a closeup of the material I used to recover, it closely matches the material on the doors/seats.

http://www.shinersinc.com/legacy/A3.jpg

Third pic is a closeup of the gauge, repainted in DupliColor metallic charcoal grey

http://www.shinersinc.com/legacy/GaugeBottom.jpg

(it also shows the stainless steel mounting band that I recovered in carbon look vinyl)

Fourth pic is a closeup of the gauge after painting, I took care to make sure the gauge face had clean lines/edges after I painted it.

http://www.shinersinc.com/legacy/GaugeCloseup.jpg

Last pic is the gauge, while sitting in the car, you can see the A pillars mounted as well, sorry for the shaky pic, Ill grab a better one.

http://www.shinersinc.com/legacy/SittingInCar.JPG

Some tips I can offer :>

routing the hose out the rubber thingy behind the hood release, into the fender and into the engine compartment, behind the battery, was pretty easy.

I used the disconnected DRL plug for switched power for the gauge

to release the A pillars, there is a metal pop in at the top, if you push a reg screwdriver IN, this releases it

Guest *Jedimaster*

I like that you recovered the a pillars- it annoys me that you order a car with black interior and they send one with a tan headliner/a pillars.

Post a pic of the final result?

I lent my camera to my buddy who was taking some pics some polishing he did on a motorcycle, soon as I get it back, Ill retake some interior pics.

Yeh, that material is easily torn/scuffed and gets dirty really easy, least this material has a nice backing, so its a tiny bit padded and looks 'smoother'

The hardest part was removing the factory cloth, its on there pretty good.

Once you get one corner off, I just pulled it off like peeling a sticker sort of.

I cut the fabric about 4 inches larger, all around the piece, then I sprayed the back of the fabric and also the plastic cover with the adhesive, waited about 10 minutes and then stuck them together.

I started at the bottom area of the part, the curve at the end that goes close to the dash, then worked my way up.

- I only did the middle and sides, not the edges or corners.

after the middle and sides were done, then I trimmed the edgesto leave about 1-2 inches of fabric.

I sprayed more adhesive on the edges (both fabric and the part), waited about 10 min, then folded the fabric over the edges.

I figured if the adhesive ever started to let go,being folded over the edge and onto the inside, the car would hold the fabric in place as well.

For the corners I just went by trial and error..ie, cut a small part of the fabric on the corner, then dry fit it, then sprayed more adhesive, waited, folded, repeated the process a few times.

The drivers side took about 1 hour (did it twice, once the fabric was too short), the pass side took about 20 min (had practice!)

Im debating on the B and C pillars, I want to make sure that I wont get any wrinkles or folds in a bad spot

The upholstery place (Daves Upholstery in Watertown, CT) had an exact match for the fabric on the door panels, but the backing/padding was about 1/2 inch thick, the backing on this material was only about 3/32 , but the 'threading' was thicker, you dont notice it though once mounted.

Ill get some better pics up soon as I can.

Thanks !

I used the outer 2 wires on the disconnected DRL plug, Ill get the wires during the day tomorrow.

The airbag is in the top of the pillar, the bottom 8-10 inches are free and clear

PS, theres a nice 'path' from the bottom of the A pillar, to behind the hood latch lever to route the wires/hoses.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived