LegacyGT.com

Who is tired of a heavy clutch?

GTTuner

I had an idea.:rolleyes: The clutch slave is a 13/16" bore piston. If I put a 1 inch bore slave in there it would lower the force needed for the master to push it. I found a couple of CNC universal slave cylinders online, on looks like it will almost bolt right up.

Has anyone thought of doing this or have tried this?

I was helping to move my friend's Audi RS4 which I'm sure has a clutch that holds as much as or more power than my ACT HD with WRX 06+ SMFW. His clutch felt very light and I almost put my foot through the floor. Then I got back in my car and my leg cramped up. :lol:

Seriously though, immediately after that, I started thinking about why our clutch pedals are so heavy. Even when I had a stock clutch, I found that it was pretty heavy relative to everyone else's cars. BMW, Audi, Mini Cooper (same as BMW I guess), Nissan 240, etc. I'm sure everything's installed right too because I've been driving on it for 24K miles and engagement and everything is right. It's just heavy. :)

Anyway, I thought about the clutch MC size... it's pretty small from what I recall.

Paul , what about the travel distance though ? larger diameter slave will require more fluid to travel same distance (to release the clutch). If the master is kept the same then the slave travel distance will be shorter, albeit the pedal will feel lighter.

at least that's what I think.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

It's a bit heavy for me. A tiny bit lighter would be great. Bear in mind, I do a lot of clutchwork thanks to NYC. :(

That hasn't been the experience with you? What are you comparing it to? I've only tried a few clutches recently and they were all significantly lighter than mine.

Paul , what about the travel distance though ? larger diameter slave will require more fluid to travel same distance (to release the clutch). If the master is kept the same then the slave travel distance will be shorter, albeit the pedal will feel lighter.

at least that's what I think.

you mean longer?

that's my read on things too.

Oh wait, I misread what he said... yeah, so he had it right. I was thinking he meant the travel required, not actual travel of the piston. Which doesn't really make sense except in my screwed up head since travel require will remain constant. It's late, I'm just not thinking clearly.

I was thinking the same thing about piston travel. I am sure this billet slave mounting holes will not perfectly line up with the car. So I was thinking of making an adapter plate, (1/4 inch aluminum flat stock) to mount the slave on and to bolt to the trans. This way I could alter the distance if needed to get the correct travel. Once I get my clutch in I am going to purchase one and see if this will work.

You have it backwards, smaller MC = more travel but more force, larger MC = less travel but less force

You could also get a bigger slave.

Read the original post. I was refering to the slave, not the master. I found a good variety of 1 inch bore slave's but not any masters.

Good to know Paul ! Ordering my parts today :)

FWIW, I bled the slave cylinder and who knows why but the clutch feels better now. Not feather light but definitely better feel.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Archived