LegacyGT.com

tire wear:need help

ivtec

I went on a long drive this weekend and when i arrived to my destination discovered a flat tire a couple hours later. Was very lucky that i made it there and not having the tire explode on me while driving at high speeds on the highway. My question is why did my tire explode and what is causing the wear on my 2 FRONT tires like this? What do i have to do to get it corrected? The rear tires seem to be wearing ok or slower. It seems to only wear like this on my summer rims and tires(18")but the wear pattern on my stock rims/Nokian WR seems to be normal(equal milage on both sets). Here are some pics of what i am talking about.

First 2 pics is of the front driver side tire that exploded. Notice the wear on the inside edge of the tire where it ripped open

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/subaru2222/tires/IMG_1502.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/subaru2222/tires/IMG_1503.jpg

Here is the passenger front tire. Noticed the tread does not go out to the inside edge as it has worn down completely.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/subaru2222/tires/IMG_1518.jpg

Here is the normal wear from the rear tire. Tread goes right out to edge.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/subaru2222/tires/IMG_1517.jpg

Camber + excessive toe-out/toe-in. Get an alignment before you do the same thing to another set of tires. Even a ton of negative camber will not wear tires like that IF toe is set to zero.

it looks like excessive camber all the way with very low tire pressures.

toe would see wear all across the board.

but if it had to be toe, it would be toe out, and the car would have to make some excessive tire screeching noises.

as there's more camber on our cars, there's more toe out due to the kingpin axis.

Keefe

is camber something i need to get installed?

i believe the tires were at 33 psi. what is a good setting for summer and winter months?

should i get the alignment done with those rims back on(and new tires)or it doesn't matter(i have the stocks on now).

i've never touched the camber settings. I believe i had my car aligned once awhile back. It's 2.5 yrs old now and and the summer rims have been on since new. I alternate between the 18" summers and the 17" winters/all season. I don't see any problems with the winters...only abnormal wear on the front 2 summers. I do go from 205 to 225 in width from 17" to the 18".

is camber something i need to get installed?

i believe the tires were at 33 psi. what is a good setting for summer and winter months?

should i get the alignment done with those rims back on(and new tires)or it doesn't matter(i have the stocks on now).

yea, for an 18" rim, that sounds very low for tire pressures.. normally for a 225/40/18 I run as much as 42 psi up front and 40 in the rear.

It's not so much of summer and winter, but it's more about the size of the tire you are running compared to the stock size.

Keefe

i've never touched the camber settings. I believe i had my car aligned once awhile back. It's 2.5 yrs old now and and the summer rims have been on since new. I alternate between the 18" summers and the 17" winters/all season. I don't see any problems with the winters...only abnormal wear on the front 2 summers. I do go from 205 to 225 in width from 17" to the 18".

Yea, that plays a role when you go wider with different offsets as well (geometry changes between the two setups). More importantly, you need higher pressures for the 18" vs 17" because your sidewalls are shorter and you need more PSI to hold the tire sidewalls correctly (assuming that your overall tire diameter is the same).

Keefe

42/40 hot or cold?

yea, for an 18" rim, that sounds very low for tire pressures.. normally for a 225/40/18 I run as much as 42 psi up front and 40 in the rear.

It's not so much of summer and winter, but it's more about the size of the tire you are running compared to the stock size.

Archived