LegacyGT.com

tire sizing craziness

RallyNavvie

I need to get new rubber soon for my LGT. I've also been hunting the forums for replacement/additional PFF-7s as a couple have some rash and I'd like a 5th as a spare. However I'm only seeing people running 225s on their 18x8" wheels and I currently have 255s (Proxes). I like the nice, squared shoulder the current tires have so I was just going to get another set of 255s from Yoko but wanted to make sure there wasn't something crazy going on before I invest 1G in rubber.

I'm also debating all-season vs. summer. I had a chance to drive the Toyos in the snow we had and it was balls. They're also not very fun in the rain. Or on dirt. Since I don't track my car can't I just get the top performing all-seasons (Advans)?

A 255 on an 8" wheel is WAY too much. A 225 is perfect. If anything, you want a little bit of stretch to combat too much camber and tire roll over. I would also just get a set of Dunlop Star specs. They are awesome on tarmac and are fine in the rain. Just pick up a set of used LGT wheels and mount snow/allseason tires on them(I have a set for sale that I'll let go for cheap.

My Supra has 255/40-17 on a 17x9.5 wide wheel on the rear. 17x8 with a 235/45-17 on the front. I run Bridgestone RE-11's and love the tire. It gripped fantastically on a recent track day I ran in the Supra. I run 225/45-17 width Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs on my 17x7.5 wheels on my 2005 Legacy GT Wagon with JDM Spec B wagon suspension. FYI - Star Specs tend to run a little wider than other tires of similar size. Also highly recommended tire for road & track.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm running 235's all around on my wheels, 18x8. I read good reviews on sumitomo HTR-Z III's and decided to try them out. so far they work really well for day to day driving and the wet and dry handling scored pretty high. I bought them off tirerack.com and had a local NTB install them for me.

• 3 weeks later...

So I tried getting the same size tire in Advan S4s at Discount Tire and they are way too big. Comparing the specs on the website between Toyo and Yoko they say there is only a 0.1" width and diameter difference between the two (the Toyo being the smaller of both), but you can certainly notice now that they're mounted. The real problem is they rub. I think I'm hearing them contact the struts/springs on the inside sidewall. I can't imagine the diameter is what's causing them to rub since it doesn't seem as noticeable as the width.

Discount Tire is going to source some replacement T1Rs and let me know the cost difference. If there is too much difference I'll have them size down to a 245. Problem is the S4s don't come in 35 profile in that size. Would the .8" diameter increase of a 245/40 be a bigger problem than I'm facing now with the width?

Nevermind, my left rear Bilstein strut is sagging and that's why I'm getting rubbing on those tires. I'm still changing to different tires but now I'm out even more cash to replace both rear struts. Since when do the Bilsteins only last 22k miles? And a rear one going first? That's messed up.

So...

Wasn't the struts or the suspension. It was surprisingly easy to replace the rear struts, however there wasn't anything wrong with them (I have some used rear Bilsteins in good shape). Instead had Cobb roll the fenders and no more tire rub.

And yes, 255s fit just fine on PFF7s.

What's strange is that Discount Tire tried putting 245/35/18s Yoko Advan Sports on to see if the narrower tire would help except once mounted they were just as wide but were noticeable shorter. When it came to keeping tires that filled out my wheel wells requiring a fender roll and wearing rubber bands I chose the former. Tire sizes are BS, they seem to be all over the place even within manufacturers.

Archived