LegacyGT.com

Tire installer chewed up rims! Small rant!

Just needed a moment to rant.

Got new tires for both my 3.6 and LGT (Mich Pilot Supers), on Saturday.

Took the cars to the usual tire installer, where we always take the car and chat with the owner.

Our 3.6 has 18" Enkei's that were installed at 3k, car now has 30k. No curb rash or dings, rims were 99.9% brand new looking. Out of a dozen cars I've owned, this is only one I've bought rims for.

Come back to get the car and all the bolt holes are chewed up from the power tools and lack of caring. Not just a few nicks, every single one is ground down like someone just loosely held the impact gun and let it do it's thing.

Told the owner and had him come look at the car, he didn't seem happy, but really just said this guy so and so can sand and refinish/paint them, I'll have him give you call. I THINK he'll take care of this, but (not as though I ever trust anyone) almost felt like OK OK I'll take care of it and just brushed me out the door. Hoping that is not the case.

I am hoping they will call today, but if not hell will break loose. And by that I mean I'll just let the wife have at it with a double team from me and a nice letter from the small claims court.

Thanks just needed a moment!

Photos added. My wife took most of the photos, here are 2 that I have. I would 2 out of every 3 bolt holes are at least this bad and some are far worse.

Also there is some road rash on the very edge of some of the rims, looks like the tool they used to remove/put on the tires chewed that up too. (no pic)

20150815_120339.thumb.jpg.1e76e97d94046eb662f8a47adee40c1f.jpg

20150815_120226.thumb.jpg.15ead5c94cc497261cd14cc1ece5e1b3.jpg

Looks like he used a socket that had too large of an outside diameter. I would get a tuner lug slim walled socket, and keep it in your glovebox for wheel removal to help prevent stuff like this in the future.

Looks like he used a socket that had too large of an outside diameter. I would get a tuner lug slim walled socket, and keep it in your glovebox for wheel removal to help prevent stuff like this in the future.

The kid could have taken the time to go get an extension too. Looks like the chuck on the cordless gun that did the damage.

I use a deep socket when I remove lug nuts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The kid could have taken the time to go get an extension too. Looks like the chuck on the cordless gun that did the damage.

One would assume when you work at a place that 90% of their business is tires, they would get the right socket for the job. Good help is hard to find.

-Grumpy

One would assume when you work at a place that 90% of their business is tires, they would get the right socket for the job. Good help is hard to find.

-Grumpy

I agree 100%, however alot of people are morons, or just dont give a shit. Giving them the correct socket to use eliminates this error(for the most part).

Its also good to keep in the car if you have to change your own tire.

You have every right to be pissed off, i would be too.

Definitely a result of using the wrong socket type. You should probably go to a higher end tire shop if you don't want this kind of stuff to happen, more than likely they have the right tool for the job to avoid these situations. They should have used a thin wall impact socket with the plastic sleeve to protect your lug holes.

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/brandsportinc/gorilla-thin-wall-impact-socket-kit-w-protective-sleeves-17mm-3-4-13-16-7-8-hex-sockets-1-2-drive-1.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-TWSK-1-Thin-Socket/dp/B0028081JM]Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive TWSK-1 Thin Wall Socket Kit: Automotive[/ame]

This would probably be all you need but for other wheels like the Rota Formula Mesh I have now as well as the Rota Gravel's I had you may need tuner lugs with a spline drive. The OEM lug nuts are rather fat for aftermarket wheels

Hopefully the owner hooks you up though I'd be pretty pissed about that too

The pain won't last long. Soon it will pass.

Tell that to the wife! :D

I agree 100%, however alot of people are morons, or just dont give a shit. Giving them the correct socket to use eliminates this error(for the most part).

Its also good to keep in the car if you have to change your own tire.

You have every right to be pissed off, i would be too.

Definitely a result of using the wrong socket type. You should probably go to a higher end tire shop if you don't want this kind of stuff to happen, more than likely they have the right tool for the job to avoid these situations. They should have used a thin wall impact socket with the plastic sleeve to protect your lug holes.

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/brandsportinc/gorilla-thin-wall-impact-socket-kit-w-protective-sleeves-17mm-3-4-13-16-7-8-hex-sockets-1-2-drive-1.jpg

Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive TWSK-1 Thin Wall Socket Kit: Automotive

This would probably be all you need but for other wheels like the Rota Formula Mesh I have now as well as the Rota Gravel's I had you may need tuner lugs with a spline drive. The OEM lug nuts are rather fat for aftermarket wheels

Hopefully the owner hooks you up though I'd be pretty pissed about that too

Thanks, I def will be picking up a set.

Called to find out what's up, told the owner isn't there today. Calling bright and ugly tomorrow.

Sad that I am reading that even Costco will use hand tools and towels and everything they can to protect custom rims.

- Granpa Grumpy

nice-things.jpeg

Tell that to the wife! :D

Thanks, I def will be picking up a set.

Called to find out what's up, told the owner isn't there today. Calling bright and ugly tomorrow.

Sad that I am reading that even Costco will use hand tools and towels and everything they can to protect custom rims.

- Granpa Grumpy

If you're able to watch them putting the lugs back on, next time check to see if they are using torque sticks if they are using an impact gun. They're like little impact extensions that stop rotating once they hit their rated ft lbs. They should be torquing them down by hand if its a real legit shop, but at the very least they should be using torque sticks.

Archived