LegacyGT.com

Tips on getting off pinstripe left-over residue?

The dealer I bought my car from thought it was a great idea to install pinstripes. Most of it came off well, but one section left a tone of glue. Not sure why it was different than the other sections.

What off the shelf cleaner will help get it off, but not damage the clear coat?

OCD where are you!? Help please :)

Thanks!

WD40 works good too.

That's the trick right there. If you are dealing with adhesive residue then you'll want to use a solvent. Mineral spirits are great. WD-40 will get adhesive off in no time and it is fairly safe on your paint. I would be careful on freshly painted panels or any self painted pieces, but on typical cured automotive paint you really have very little to worry about. Just wash the area after you are done and use a soft towel.

oh, the best way to apply it without making a mess is to soak a towel with it and then dab it on. let it soak for a few seconds before rubbing. it helps if you heat the adhesive up a little too before you dab it. Don't get the heating and dabbing mixed up. WD-40 is highly flammable and combustible.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I am still working at one panel. Its really on there. For some reason just 1 section of the stripes left the glue on the car. All other sections, it came right up.

The WD 40 worked great, except nothing on this one panel! It did not do much, even after soaking it. Patience and eventually it will all come up with my nail behind a microfiber rag.

WD40 is great for a lot of things. A long time ago, elderly people thought that spraying WD40 on your joints would cure arthritis..LOL

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

• 5 weeks later...
WD 40 is not working at all. I need something stronger, but I do not want to mess up my clear coat or make it blurry.

You could try GooGone2 but definately not GooGone. There is a big difference but even with GooGone2 I would test it on a underside bumper section to make sure it causes no clouding. I have used it to clean up beutyl residue inside door panels and in interior painted sections on my old Honda to no ill effects.

Again please try it on a underside bumper section to be certain. I have not tried this product on LGT paint but it is a orangeoil product.

^ That might work.

I would try PPG DX 330 wax and grease remover. If that didn't work i would move straight to paint thinner. As long as you're working on a clear coated surface it will work just fine. If there is a little haze left behind it will rub/buff right out.

Soak with thinner, scrape with finger nail, rub with thinner soaked rag.

Wait, have you tried the claybar yet? Generally speaking, if a claybar won't clean the surface of your paint, nothing will. There isn't much else safer than a claybar either.

I've had good success using 3M Adhesive & Wax Remover for left-over adhesive residue.

http://3m.hillas.com/GetThumbNail.aspx?Type=Item&Image=13847&Size=large

Ingredients:

SOLVENT NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM), LIGHT ALIPHATIC

XYLENE

ETHYLBENZENE

TOLUENE

BENZENE

As mentioned earlier, softening up the residue with heat eases removal (hair dryer, gentle use of heat gun, or just park it so that section gets direct sun on a warm day).

• 4 weeks later...
I had to replace the bump strips (side moldings) on my VW a few years back. It was insanely difficult to remove all the adhesive left over. I ended up finding this wheel type attachment that fits on the end of a drill. It "rubs" the adhesive right off, making clean up far easier via other means. If you have a lot to remove I would recommend looking into this. The wheel is somewhat rubbery, somewhat "eraser-like".

Archived