LegacyGT.com

Tipping the sales person?

dondon

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to clarify, I seem to recall reading somewhere that a few people will give the sales person an extra $50 or $100 after closing the deal. I realize they do get a commission, but my understanding is that it is pretty small. Can anyone with knowledge comment on the amount of profit the dealership generally gets for each sale, and then how much of it goes to the sales person?

Just to clarify, I seem to recall reading somewhere that a few people will give the sales person an extra $50 or $100 after closing the deal. I realize they do get a commission, but my understanding is that it is pretty small. Can anyone with knowledge comment on the amount of profit the dealership generally gets for each sale, and then how much of it goes to the sales person?

That all depends on the seller man. My best friend from highschool sold cars. I remember he told me made a couple grand on a new corvette back in 2005. It really just depends on the markup on top of MSRP.

Personally, I will ask what they stand to make personally on the sale. Being a salesman myself, I like to negotiate with them that way.

you should rest assured he/she is not going to starve. if they decide not to take a commission on the sale it is probably because they can afford to.

Dealers typically make a good bit of profit, though the majority of their income comes from the service department.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I was in car sales for 2 years. Depending on the dealership there is a minimum commisision that ranges betwenn $150-$200 per car if you do not gross a certain percentage.

Like I said, all dealerships are different and there are different pay structures for sales at the same place let it be straight commission (higher min com)

salaray w/bonus

or a draw setup where you are like on a salary in which if you don't hit your numbers for the month you still get so much, but if you make more than your quota in gross its kind of like a bonus.

Sales people are not expecting a tip from you for selling you a car. If you really want to thank them for doing a good job, write the dealer and sales person a thank you card saying how good the sales person made you feel and how the dealer is lucky to have them. If you really want to thank the sales person, send them referalls and maybe a small gift basket or something along those lines.

Sales people are not expecting a tip from you for selling you a car. If you really want to thank them for doing a good job, write the dealer and sales person a thank you card saying how good the sales person made you feel and how the dealer is lucky to have them. If you really want to thank the sales person, send them referalls and maybe a small gift basket or something along those lines.

bingo.

Progressing the line of thought............

If you tell them you are going to give them a nice tip for a great deal, is that classed as bribery ?

and moreso, would it work :lol:

I like the way you thing... :)

I give tips to my local mechanic when he mounts slicks and race tires for us and the shop that builds our race engines. Both of these places are small shops that are family owned businesses.

Give someone at a stealership a tip, never!

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you really want to thank them for doing a good job, write the dealer and sales person a thank you card saying how good the sales person made you feel and how the dealer is lucky to have them. If you really want to thank the sales person, send them referalls and maybe a small gift basket or something along those lines.

i agree, i think this is the best way to "tip" them

You tip a bartender for pouring liquid into a cup and for prettending to be your friend and then ignoring you. Why would you not pay a salesperson for extra time and effort they provide for you. I make 100 dollars a car its pathetic and people think we make so much and we deal with so much stupidity and ignorance in our customer base that we deserve a tip.

Want some cheese for that wine? :rolleyes:

You got a job right? It pays more than minimum wage right? :confused:

If you work in an industry that routinely receives tips you can be paid as little as 85% of the federal minimum wage. Then have to report your tips as income for taxing. :mad:

Everyone wishes they made more money. Stop begging and get a better job!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I work at a dealership and depending on the gross commission of the sale the salesman can make usually anywhere from $150 (called a mini on a new car) up to $unlimited amount. They usually make 10-15% front half (gross commission) and 10-15% back half (extra warranty) New cars barely make any commission because there's only so much you can do on the price unless you trade in your car and they rip the trade. When you go to a dealership a salesman would rather selling you a $15,000 used car than a $35,000 new car. Don't ever tip a salesman because he's talking sh*t about you behind your back no matter if he's making money or not.....if he's making money then he's calling you a mullet or a dumbass and will be the nicest guy you've met but if he's not making money then he's bitching about having to deal with a mini and will get you out of the door ASAP. I'm not a salesman anymore thank god but when I was I would do the same thing lol. Car salesman are very shisty and will f*ck you in anyway possible, same with the finance guy that attaches those "great" extended warranties for $3000 (sometimes without your knowledge so view your paperwork before signing). I'm whats called a "desk guy" so I just shoot off your app to the banks and get the terms of financing so I don't have a guilty conscience anymore lol

how much, if any, would a sales rep make on leasing a car.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Archived