LegacyGT.com

time to go

Guys and Gals,

It's time to sell my legacy. Right now it's up for sale and I've got a couple hits so far, but nothing really solid so far: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-ct-1998-legacy-gt-limited-162564.html I'm 19, and I've owned the car for the past two years or so, but I've learned so much from it and so much about cars in general. It really drove me to pursue a degree in mech. engineering, and I'm going to miss it like crazy. It's a web of crazy stuff, but right now we're trying to get my whole family on the road with a car due to job comittments. And the plan we laid out involves selling my car, so this is step 1. I'll be buying my dad's 2002 A4 (5 SPEED!), so I'll still be floating around on forums and all haha.

I just wanted to make this as a thanks to everyone for all the help; too many times I've come to the forum for ideas or suggestions, and everyone's been friendly and knowledgable. There's so much that I still need to learn, but I feel like I've got a great head start. We will still be a subaru family though; my mom has a 2006 tribeca, and I'll look to get back into one later on (or to buy american finally). I'll keep everyone posted on how the sale goes, and I'll still be around to talk and whatnot. I'd like my car to go to another subaru enthusiast hopefully, but we'll have to see I guess. Thanks!

I have been haha, the axles were such a bitch to get out. There's sensors EVERYWHERE. And there's no room to work in the engine, but it needs absolutely nothing as of right now. It should run happily for a while; I'm getting rs4 sway bars for it too :)

• I Donated

Just wait until you have to replace the timing belt.....or the timing belt fails and you have to rebuild the head.

here are a few pictures of a 99 A4 I just finished fixing a few weeks ago that had a broken timing belt

Any time you work on anything on the front side of the engine, you have to put it in "Service Mode". Service mode is basically removing the front clip and its kind of a pain in the ass.

If you ever take off the head, have fun with the exhaust manifold...lol

these pictures are after the head came off. some of the valves were broken / bent from when the timing belt broke.

We used all Audi parts to fix this. We sent the head to a local machine shop to get rebuilt. The total bill for head rebuild and parts was $1,600. This included all the plastic tubes that broke because they got brittle over time, timing belt, timing tensioner, rollers, head gasket set, head bolts, head rebuild, turbo, coolant, oil, spark plugs, and a bunch of random little shit.

We had to replace the turbo because a bolt broke off in its exhaust housing while trying to remove it. I tried to use a reverse drill bit, but it wouldnt pull it out. Then I tried using an easy out and it broke off inside the hole that I had drilled. At this point we sent the turbo to the machine shop and they said in order to drill that out, the hole would be so big it would ruin the exhaust housing anyways...It was cheaper to buy a complete used turbo rather then just buying the exhaust housing alone.

36178_448002993325_605068325_5197550_429095_n.jpg.82562ed83da31f36be048673826e694b.jpg

66921_448003103325_605068325_5197556_7671120_n.jpg.0c45c7075fdd2efa23f40f0b58f69cdb.jpg

68703_448002818325_605068325_5197538_1998260_n.jpg.2a2fe51f4fcd0ad259e3b5a12af31396.jpg

69152_448002413325_605068325_5197513_1706234_n.jpg.affca18f1ad3c7a91cb05102520e8205.jpg

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

When a timing belt on a subi breaks, you got a lot of work head of you also, pulling the motor instead of the front clip. Not saying a subaru is as bad as an audi, but when a timing belt breaks on either, you got a solid weekend of work ahead of you.

When a timing belt on a subi breaks, you got a lot of work head of you also, pulling the motor instead of the front clip. Not saying a subaru is as bad as an audi, but when a timing belt breaks on either, you got a solid weekend of work ahead of you.

on my '95 if the timing belt breaks I just replace the belt.:lol:

True. But on an Audi, anything that breaks is much more of a pain in the ass than every other car ever made and usually cost 230986 times as much too

I can't wait. Awesome haha. I just pulled the head on the subaru without pulling the engine though to replace some gaskets, and it wasn't as bad as I thought. You've just gotta torque everything back up to spec; didn't even pull the manifold off!

Right now, the audi needs nothing. Zippo. Zilch. The seals were all just done by a local shop including the timing belt/water pump/all the fun gadgets, and we're family friends with the people there and know they do good work. So this A4 should be good to go. I'm picking up a legacy gt with a 5 speed one day, and I'm gonna go crazy with it like giro disc has (if anyone hasn't seen his link, GO LOOK AT THE WORK HE'S DONE).

Taking all offers now! I want this guy off of my hands as soon as possible!

Archived