LegacyGT.com

For those with seized axles (in the hub)

Adoniram

Without going into a long, drawn-out story, let's just say I decided to replace the CV axle (to replace the CV boot) and found out that the axle had seized in the hub. I tried just about everything to remove it (liquid wrench, hammering on the end of the axle, and using a bolt puller like the one below)

Completely ineffective (also not my car, just random picture showing the puller):

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/00960572000

I destroyed the threads on that puller trying to apply more pressure than I ever should have with a breaker bar. Oh well...

So I pulled the entire knuckle off (2 large bolts above hub, and 1 bolt for the suspension arm). I read that another user here had given up and replaced the entire knuckle, but I'm stingy. I took the entire knuckle, including axle, to a local shop since it's literally down the street and asked them to apply their air hammer for me. They decided instead to use the "BFH" and a pipe. BFH apparently stands for Big F***ing Hammer. Well within moments, the axle was out. YAY!! They did not ask for any money, so I gave the guys some beer cash that they could pocket.

Brought the knuckle home, reassembled, inserted new axle, rotors, etc, and was a much happier man.

Moral of the story: if your CV axle is seized, take it to Bubba and his BFH.

Archived