LegacyGT.com

thinking of sellilng my subi and go back to hondas.....

i just have been getting more and more problems with my subi, cat went out, now it eats like all the oil that in the engine in like 1k miles, the brand new belt in front of the engine next to fans "forgot how its called, just had it in my head :lol:" just started making noise, when i put it in Reverse i have to wait like about 3 sec. otherwise car will start rolling and if i give it gas just starts raving and than feels like some one hits me and it goes, left front axel needs to be changed... check engine like blinks but hooked up obd1 and it wont show any thing "maybe its cat" hmm.... vacuum leak that i cant find any where.... idk what else is there.... and i was thinking of fixing and doing some stuff to it, but looks like its gona come out pretty pricey and i cant even do wrx swap because its FWD =D i honestly didn't even know that subaru made FWD subarus when i bought that legacy, im just getting more and more disappointed in subaru =( SO what will you all suggest for me to do? + all my friends have hondas and DSM, like i wanted to have unique subaru but its non turbo fwd automatic.... this is my 5th car in one year and i just dont have any luck with them, only acura integra lasted me for more than half a year =D,

To each his own.

I know we're too far apart, but I'm just going to throw it out there that if you gave me that car for 2 days and about $200-300 I would give you back something that you wouldn't even recognize. The axle is $65 and takes less than 2 hours to install. You can bang out the cat and put it back in so that it looks like a real cat, but its really just a hollow shell. The parking issue is common, just wait for reverse to engage before giving it gas. The vacuum leak is just trial and error. Same with the check engine light. The belt sounds like it just needs to be tightened. You could do a WRX swap but you'd need to add the rear drivetrain, which would cost too much money in my opinion.

The main reason why you've gone through so many cars in such a short amount of time probably goes back to your driving habits. I can tell you first hand that aggressive driving habits are one of the fastest ways to kill a car. Especially an older car.

And whats so different about driving a 2WD non-turbo Subaru and a 2WD non-turbo Honda? If you want to drive a Honda then I wish you the best of luck, but at the end of the day you'll be driving another slow, torque-less cookie-cutter car just like 10 million other teenage drivers who think that their Honda Civic will take a C5 Corvette in the 1/4 mile just because its got yellow windshield wipers, it sounds like a hair dryer, and it has a big silly wing. ;)

25% of the mechanical aptitude of PlatnumRacer +

all my friends have hondas and DSM,,

= Get a Honda or DSM.

(Or get some cooler friends like Subaru guys :lol: j/k)

Not being a dick but I have a feeling that you may have more fun being a part of the club than being different - particularly when that means all your buddies parts fit and they know how to help you work on your car.

I have gone out of my way to make friends with other LGT owners in SoCal and my hometown has 5 million people in it.

EDIT:

non turbo fwd automatic....

Hard to be excited about that no matter what the brand. Early 90s n/a fwd at are like popeye without his spinach.

this is my 5th car in one year and i just dont have any luck with them, only acura integra lasted me for more than half a year =D,

Hmm... Stop letting your friends who drive honda and DSM borrow your car?

Hey if im going to find another cheap subaru turbo with awd =D ha ha and no big problems, im gona take it, but now idk, its just so simple with a honda, you pop the hood and you see everything, with subaru its verry diff for me really hard to see whats up and what is what, but the haven't been on craigslist yet so we gona see, its just dont want to fix rings "cause its burning Oil really badly" all i wanted its nice daily driver where i could put exhaust the get that boxer engine sound =D " i just love them" and enjoy the car =D

No offense but you get what u pay for spend 8k and get a decent wrx that will last if u keep buying cars for cheap don't expect them to last. Don't say im going back to Honda cuz subys are unreliable... Every car reaches a point in it's life where maitinence reaches a max just soo happens it happens alot for u..

This is true.

Every car ever made, every single car, could be made to last hundreds of years with proper care and unlimited funds. The problem is every car reaches a point where its no longer economical to repair. With my Subaru I had to spend over $2,000 in parts before it got to a point where it doesn't need anything at all. Its still a rolling shitbox, with sheet metal patches welded all over the body, at least 6 different colors of paint, about 10+ pounds of Bondo, and not a single body panel that lines up correctly.

It may not be pretty, but its got new tires, new struts, new exhaust, new brakes, every maintenance item imaginable has been replaced, the suspension is aligned, and the engine is impeccably maintained. Its one of the most beat up looking vehicles I've ever owned, but it runs and drives better than my 97 Pathfinder, and the ride quality is way smoother than my GF's 07 Corolla. If you have the time, money, and patience you can make any car last forever. It gets to a point, however, when fixing a vehicle is no longer a financially viable option.

If you're concerned that the rings are shot do a compression test. The car could be leaking oil from any number of places. Are you sure its burning oil or could it be leaking? If you take off the intake hose is there oil on the throttle body? If so then there's a problem with the PCV system (Which could also explain your vacuum leak issue as well as the hard time you're having getting the car passed its emissions test).

out of my many many leggys, heres a run down 4 of them. 91 n/a went 350k miles racing it for 200k miles of its life.

my red 91 SS has 230k miles

my blk 91 SS has 200k miles on the body but has a hybrid swap

my 93 SS has 202k miles and just got back from the drag strip. (its bone stock and ran consistant)

as for whats what on a subaru, when u open the hood, EVERYTHING is in front of your face. the only thing underneath is the engine block. all your accesories are on top. and the trans is like a modern V8 setup. everything on a subaru is the same front and back. its centered in the engine bay for stabilty unlike a honda where the engine is on one side and a trans on the other. personally i like the challange to make a car go fast. anyone in the world can make a honda go fast if you have the money.

if your gonna complain about buying a cheap subaru, itll probly outlast and go thru the snow alot better than any honda you buy. but if you want to fit in with your friends rather than set a trend. then be a follower, not a leader.

^ +1

Fixing certain things like a head gasket would be easier on a Honda motor, but for just about everything else the Subaru is either easier or just as easy. It took me 6 minutes to get my alternator out and 10 to get the new one back in (I had to re-adjust the belt). The first things you notice when you open the hood are the ignition coil, AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump, and just about every sensor you'd ever need to replace... Right in front of your face. Its all right there, laid out nice and neat in plain sight. Get under the car and you've got easy access to the headers, the oil filter, and the thermostat. This car might be at the end of its life, but it might not be. You might sell it and buy a Honda that needs just as much work. Finding any old car that's perfect right out of the box for under $2,000 is hard as hell, as they've usually been poorly maintained and need some kind of expensive repair or maintenance.

The low CG and balanced layout of the longitudinally mounted boxer engine is superior to a transversely mounted I4. Nevermind the unbalanced nature of an I4 to begin with. With the exception of a slight secondary inbalance caused by the opposing banks of cylinders being slightly offset from one another the boxer engine is in perfect primary and secondary balance. Unlike an I4 which doesn't have good balance anyway you look at it... On paper or in the real world. Plus, the front and rear CV shafts are equal length on both sides of the car which actually does make a small difference to suspension geometry.

You should get another Subaru and set a trend of being unique. When people ask why you drive a Subaru when Honda's are so much better you can tell them just how wrong they are and why. Plus, I have a 700cc flathead boxer-twin lawn tractor engine torn apart in my basement that has more torque at 1,500 RPM than a 1.6L Honda engine.

To each his own I guess. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

well right now im deciding to keep it, change cat, and just add oil every 1k... he he =D just looked on craigslist what i can get for around 1500 pretty much what i think i can sell subi for and cant really find anything good, so right now i know problems with subi, so trying to find a cat, and i cant find anything for under 170$... plus my 93 legacy beat friends 2011 legacy =D ha ha... but idk how... off the start the just looses so badly, and that just makes him feel so embarrassed. lol =D but any body can help me find cat for cheap? and im gona put exhaust headers and back witch will cost me 250$ so idk ill keep it around, put some pic of it to show you guys what a piece of shit it is ha ha but gets me from work and back (im a delivery dirver, so i drive ALOT" so we'll see and how long do you guys think i can drive on bad piston rings if ill just add oil all the time?

dont bother with the exhaust, save ur money. if anything, have mineke put a straight pipe on and just put the cat covers over it. as for the engine problem, go to the junkyard and find a direct 2.2L replacement. you can swap an engine in one day. (yes, its that easy) engines can be had on craigslist for around 2-300 bucks. (thats what i sell 2.2L N/A engines for anyway).

all you need is a basic tool set. get your friends over to help you lift the engine out (yes, it can be done) and then put the new one in.

you need basic screwdrivers

and a basic socket set.

no fancy tools required... its a subaru.

Subaru's are much easier to work on then people say. This is the sad thing (I have never driven a honda nor will I ever) I have read so many people saying they get lost. Try working on my moms 99 Mazda 626. That gives you a reason to hate cars.

BTW F**K you ford/mazda.

The only Mazda experience I have is with a 1994 MX-6 coupe.

It wasn't a pleasant car to work on.

It wasn't much different from other 4 bangers of its time but it just kept giving me one problem after another. The car had a transmission trouble code similar to the blinking "Power Mode" light of the first gen Legacy except the MX-6 gave no indications of problems. Diagnosing the problem was a project that I never got to complete. The car drove no different, had no leaks, shifted perfect, the speed sensors were fine, all wiring was good, and there were no abnormal signs of wear but for whatever reason it kept throwing tranny codes even when you reset the computer. Since I wasn't about to take on anything to do with Mazda transmission work I gave the car a transmission flush and filter and told my friend to either take it to Mazda to read the codes or drive it until it died and forget about it. Until the day he got rid of that car it gave him transmission codes. He never bothered to have them read at the dealer. He eventually bought a Buick with a GM 3800 Series II V6, had me do a bunch of work to it, then wrecked it into the back of a Dodge Ram while dicking around with his Ipod. He now drives a Nissan Frontier and envy's my Nissan Pathfinder for having a sunroof. :lol:

They should require a basic automotive technical exam before allowing people to get or renew their license. :lol:

well idk now im starting to spend money on subaru, got a new hood today, matches car color =D so at least not it looks much better, got new turn signal lights, than getting a new catalytic converter got 200$ price at repair shop..... dealer charges 300$, and had a lot of fun on the gravel today =D he he =D

These cars are real troopers. They live as long as honda's even when you take them out into gravel/dirt roads. Once mine gets warmed up and I drive it hard. I have better throttle response and it just hauls ass up gravel hills without an issue. Push it into a gravel corner and she just hangs on...Even with these shitty RE92s.

This car will be around longer then most women for my age. She takes good care of me so I take good care of her ;) (mind out of the gutter guys)

Overall just get it running just right and you will have no regrets.

The main reason why you've gone through so many cars in such a short amount of time probably goes back to your driving habits. I can tell you first hand that aggressive driving habits are one of the fastest ways to kill a car. Especially an older car.

As long as you know this is why you're going through so many cars, to each his own.

all you need is a basic tool set. get your friends over to help you lift the engine out (yes, it can be done) and then put the new one in.

you need basic screwdrivers

and a basic socket set.

no fancy tools required... its a subaru.

The only fancy tool I would consider is a tool for the O2 sensor - remove it before removing the engine and then install it again when you have mounted the engine.

One of the items that can take a beating when mounting the engine. At least if you do it in an Impreza STi. (did that a few weeks ago...)

453747.png

Archived