LegacyGT.com

thinking about replacing brake rotors

ppettit2005

so... a couple of months back I saved my car ( a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT) from rear ending someone on the highway by shifting from 5th to 1st while braking... A weird smell entered my car, and I stopped right behind the guy in front of me. I saved my car, and ever since then while on the highway, when I brake the steering wheel shimmy's left and right (only at 60 mph+ speeds). also there is a funny whisper of a noise coming from my left front wheel that changes frequency with speed...

does this mean that I have warped brake rotors on the front of my car? If so, then what should I use to replace them? I was thinking of a set of slotted DBA street series rotors from Fred Beans parts, because they are cheap, street legal, beefier than the originals (and therefor won't warp like the originals if that is the case), and should be a good replacement over all... I drive my car on the street and not the strip btw, so I think this is appropriate.

what do you guys think? any parts suggestions?

so... a couple of months back I saved my car ( a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT) from rear ending someone on the highway by shifting from 5th to 1st while braking... A weird smell entered my car, and I stopped right behind the guy in front of me. I saved my car, and ever since then while on the highway, when I brake the steering wheel shimmy's left and right (only at 60 mph+ speeds). also there is a funny whisper of a noise coming from my left front wheel that changes frequency with speed...

does this mean that I have warped brake rotors on the front of my car? If so, then what should I use to replace them? I was thinking of a set of slotted DBA street series rotors from Fred Beans parts, because they are cheap, street legal, beefier than the originals (and therefor won't warp like the originals if that is the case), and should be a good replacement over all... I drive my car on the street and not the strip btw, so I think this is appropriate.

what do you guys think? any parts suggestions?

The smell was from the clutch.

You probably have deposits on the rotors. Rotors rarely warp, almost NEVER!

Do a search on how to "clean" the rotors.

As for the whisper, sounds like a bearing or it could be a sticking caliper piston.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

...They are better than the stock rotors ...

How can you say that?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It's easy, that how the auto aftermarket works :lol:

Oh, that's right. It's the Ollie Williams approach.

"Is aftermarket better than stock, Ollie?"

"It's better!"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IREATNJeyoo]YouTube- Family Guy: Ollie Williams Sound Clips[/ame]

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

How can you say that?

I installed them a few weeks ago with Hawk HPS pads. While stopping distance will remain about the same, you will not get surface rust on the rotors like you will with stock. Also, FYI, Stoptech acquired Centric parts back in 2006.

The smell was from the clutch.

You probably have deposits on the rotors. Rotors rarely warp, almost NEVER!

Do a search on how to "clean" the rotors.

As for the whisper, sounds like a bearing or it could be a sticking caliper piston.

Actually... I am betting it wasn't the clutch considering that I have an automatic...

I will search on how to clean the rotors though, and I am taking my car in for it's 72,000 mile service interval today, so I will ask about the whisper.

the smell was from his pads, especially if they were stock pads. stock pads suck horribly.

if you were on stock pads, then yes, you've probably "warped" the rotors. rotor "warp" is a misnomer. read this:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

as far as rotors being better, he'll be fine with stock oem style rotors. no need to spend money on slotted/cross drilled "bling" rotors. just get better pads with oem style rotors.

yep, it's official... The dealership measured my pads during the 75,000 mile service interval and found them to be "warped"...

So you guys are saying that I should go with a new set of stock rotors instead of getting my rotors turned or getting an upgraded set?

It's not worth it to get your rotors turned. At 75k miles, it's worth it to replace your rotors. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, a good replacement OEM style rotor is the Centric premium rotors, which are cheaper than stock and will not get surface rust like the stock ones. Make sure you replace the brake pads as well. I'd reccomend Hawk HPS pads.

yep, it's official... The dealership measured my pads during the 75,000 mile service interval and found them to be "warped"...

So you guys are saying that I should go with a new set of stock rotors instead of getting my rotors turned or getting an upgraded set?

Pads or rotors. Look up what BS they insist on science is warped rotors. There is no such thing as warped pads. I suggest you look at the stoptech website.:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Still, take a look at the Stoptech site... there's no such thing as "warped" rotors for the normal driver (maybe for professional racers... but doubtful there since they have totally different rotors than consumer-cars).

Still, if they had said "warped pads" then we are even more certain of their incompetence.

yeah, they definitely said warped rotors... the shimmying of my steering wheel is slowly reducing in it's severity... so I may do nothing at all after a while... what would cause this? The effect of continuous wear on the rotor is all that I can think of...

The stock rotors CAN warp, hell I warped mine in the first 10,000 miles on the road. I thought it was completely ridiculous to be having to deal with that kind of BS so early in the life of the car and actually stood there and watched them measure and then turn the rotors down. (because I didn't believe it was possible) They were absolutely warped, and the dealer fortunately turned them for free. I'm at 18K now, once it happens again I'll be going with an aftermarket brand to see if the life is any better.

That's not what I'm saying or implying at all. It's pretty clear that the people claiming they have actual brake rotor warpage aren't informed about what causes the symptoms.

Like the article says, rotor warpage can occur under rare circumstances. But t is far more likely to be uneven pad deposits.

All of you claiming you have warped rotors need to read the stoptech site before posting any more.

Unlike you, some of us get our information from personal experience and seeing things with our very own eyes, not random text on some website. :rolleyes:

Also, FYI, Stoptech acquired Centric parts back in 2006.

That would be like Subaru acquiring Toyota.

Other way around - Centric bought Stoptech and the Powerslot. Centric isa huge OE brake supplier.

The Centric/Stoptech connection has always been there.

And no - OE replacement rotors are RARELY even CLOSE to as good as OEM. The level of testing and validation an OEM part goes through FAR exceeds that of OE replacement.

Taiwan (Centric) has gotten much better over the years though.

DBA is afaik the ONLY OE replacement rotor that does not start life as a regular replacement part. Their tooling and foundry is next door to them and unique to them. I'd count RacingBrake as well - but they keep screwing up - and it's from Taiwan.

Archived