LegacyGT.com

TGV deletes

fullerslgt

so i am gonna order a TGV delete from Grimmspeed

https://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=35&osCsid=up3jblbah8m2pe40veaujpvat4

and it is asking for specifics on what i want, so do i want a 3mm or an 8mm *Phenolic Thermal Spacer(set) (and what is that),

*2sets or 1 set of Gasket: TGV>Engine(pair),

*it asks for yes or no on the Gasket: IM>TGV (pair),

*and how big of difference is the ceramic thermal coating,

*and lastly it asks if i want a 100% refundable core fee....can anybody explain what all this is and what i need so i can order it.

I didnt run gaskets on mine. You dont need the im->tgv gasket that they sell and if you get the phenolic spacer you dont need either set of the TGV->engine gaskets. It doesnt hurt, but you dont need them as long as you clean the heads/tgv before hand. The 3mm spacers should be sufficient. Ceramic coating never hurts, but isnt a necessity on these.

Yes, you need to run the core fee, and you will get that back when you send them your TGV's that are on the car now.

I would get all new gaskets if you're pulling off the intake manifold. You don't want to pull off the intake manifold, and then reinstall it only to find that there is a leak. Having to pull it off again.

Always replace the gaskets and for the price that they cost, you'd be stupid not to.

Just my 2 cents.

I have yet to install mine.

But, I have the 3mm spacer and ALL the gaskets (and the blue coating). I would not ever install by reusing the OEM gaskets, and the Grimspeed gaskets are bored out to the (now) larger size of the TGV. I have not heard of just using the spacer as a gasket and when I spoke to Grimspeed directly they did not recommend running without two sets of gaskets. If you skip the gaskets and it leaks do you want to go that deep into the motor again just to change a gasket you should have done the first time?

Kurt might be fine with his set up. It might be completely tight. I am WAY too OCD to sleep at night after stripping my motor down to the TGV's and not replacing the gaskets with new.

Not saying you cant do it. Just my 2 cents.

The TGV->manifold gasket that they sell is for sti/pre-08 style manifolds, not LGT style manifolds. If you want to replace that gasket because its old, thats fine, but its a rubber liner that you need to get from subaru. Ask me how I know. :)

This is the second car I have put on phenolic spacers using them as the gasket and had pressure/smoke tested. They dont leak as long as you clean the gasket residue off the heads before seating them down, and then TQ to spec. Not saying you can't, though. You will hurt nothing by using 2 sets of tgv-> manifold gaskets to sandwich the spacer.

The core charge is because they're modifying these original intake runners. I'm assuming 100% refundable means that if you ship back the ones off your car to them they will refund the core charge, because they can use those to make a new set for someone else

Theoretically the larger phenolic spacer will improve performance, not considering here the affect of lengthening your intake runners. I read, though, that the taller units should be used if you have front mount intercooler. I must assume then that the extra 5-8mm interferes with the TMIC

Yep you are correct about the core charge Andrew. Once you send back your old cores, we will fully refund the core charge.

And like stated above, i would highly recommend picking up 2 new gaskets to put around the phenolic spacer. it would sucks to have it all apart and then realize you needed new gaskets.

Justin

Since your on here;

Grimmspeed; do you recommend using the OEM rubber gaskets, or the gaskets you supply for the IM to Phenolic spacer surface (on 07-09 LGT)?

I dont think you understand...you HAVE to use the rubber gakets on our Intake Manifolds. It is like a rubber O-ring on each intake port. The grimspeed gaskets are for STI/WRX style manifolds that use the regular gaskets. Also, the gasket that goes from TGV to block is Metal with a rubber insert on our cars. To replace these gaskets is close to $75-$100 from Subaru. I have re-used mine 3X now without any problems. The Subaru Master tech that put my motor in said they never replace those gaskets unless they are torn.

I figured out that the rubber gaskets were a requirement (they are even different from 05-06 to 07-09). I read through the vacation pics last night (stayed up late).

I also checked out all the gaskets on the FBP website. I'm going to just get the entire engine gasket kit from FBP.

Its going to run around $200. But, I intend to completely remove the manifold during my build up, and I don't care what a tech said about reusing gaskets, I will replace ALL with new. I spent 4 years racing pro on the ATVA national circuit. No motor gets rebuilt with used gaskets, not my motors, not EVER.

Thanks to all for the info, I am sure it helps everyone looking to do this mod.

I wouldnt bother with this mod unless you are already taking the IM off for some other reason or have to do it to get your HUGE stock location turbo to fit. It has been proven over and over that this gives very minimal gains. There was even a magazine article on it stating it was NOT worth the time and effort.

I wouldnt bother with this mod unless you are already taking the IM off for some other reason or have to do it to get your HUGE stock location turbo to fit. It has been proven over and over that this gives very minimal gains. There was even a magazine article on it stating it was NOT worth the time and effort.

Plus, cold start emissions are pretty important...right? :lol:

I am doing it because I have top feeds and need to get to the injectors anyway. Figured if I needed to get that deep, might as well go all the way. Plus, I have an AP hard inlet pipe to install, might as well get the manifold out of the way and do it all at once.

Might not be much (if any) gain ( I have seen before and after Dynos that showed 0hp gain), but the blue coating looks cool and I can always brag. Bling is worth something, no?

Might not be much (if any) gain ( I have seen before and after Dynos that showed 0hp gain), but the blue coating looks cool and I can always brag. Bling is worth something, no?

I personally saw a before and after with a GT35R rotated setup that gained 5whp. Like you said, if youa re already that far into your manifold, might as well do it. I didnt change mine out until I did my topfeed injectors setup swap.

Can't you delete the codes via your tune? If you have no tune, or use an AP just get a $15 VAG-COM cable and delete the code yourself. Way cheaper and will have to be done once you delete the TGV's anyways.

If its just an annoying nuisance code you are trying to delete.

well the code is annoying but its also the performance part as well. I dont know if you have read any of the forums about the TGV's and the problems people have had with the sensors or motors going bad, well thats what has happened to me several times. Loss of acceleration, loss of driveability etc. So i am just gonna take them out and not have to ever worry about it anymore. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Archived