LegacyGT.com

Test drove a Legacy GT this morning.

Hi Legacy Owners,

I'm a BMW 325i owner since last May31st. Since then I've driven about 39,000kms in the car. Unfortunately, the traction control and RWD really aren't up to winter. I live in the country and drive daily into the city 50 miles in, miles out.

I am ready to switch cars while Subaru of Canada is giving lots of incentive to sell cars in the Spring. Oh, and I'm going to the drive event for the new 3 series tonight.

I thought it would be fun to compare the 250hp Legacy GT AWD (40k with AT) to tonight's ride, the 255hp RWD 330i (49,000 with AT and a nice color).

So this morning I stopped by the dealership and took out the Legacy GT. I laready know about the acceleration and the quiet cabin, good seats and great steering wheel. But when I took a circular on-ramp and the salesman kept telling me "go faster", I could hardly believe it! Man that car corners well!

Anyway, I'll be leasing, so the only mods that would go on this car would be an interim set of tires after I wear out the stock tires. The payment would be less than what I'm currently paying to finance my 325i.

Basically for 40k, I get handling and power and safety similar to a 50k Bimmer, without the Roundel. I understand there is a difference, stock Xenons (adaptive) fancy DTC with fancy braking gizmos, etc, but apples to apples (forget styling for now, that is subjective), why shouldn't I get a Legacy?

Thanks for having me!

There isn't any reason not to get one unless you need more room and a larger car would help. The Legacy and what you are coming from are pretty comparable. Imagine the 330xi with a Subaru badge minus a couple of electronic gizmos and the extra 6th gear and you have the LGT limited. Xenons are an easy upgrad as well as better tires. Word on the street is that a navigation unit may be available on the '06 models, so if that is important then you might want to wait another couple months. Otherwise the LGT is a great choice for a car with no downside other than the little quirks that you'll find on any car.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

For the amount of miles you're driving, make sure that you can find a comfortable seating position in the LGT. That's one of the few drawbacks (along with stinky clutch and screwey climate control). The Bimmers are much more comfortable for me for longer distance driving.

Also, if you can get them to swap out the tires now, rather than later when you wear them out. You don't want to be on the OEM's when winter arrives in full force up north.

Also, if you can get them to swap out the tires now, rather than later when you wear them out. You don't want to be on the OEM's when winter arrives in full force up north.

While swapping out the tires right from the start is a good idea, RE-92's are fine for winter, as long as you realize you aren't on dedicated snows.

I'm in NH which is a lot worse than PA for the winters, they were fine.

I saw about the Xenon group buy, and while I do like my Xenons a lot, I wouldn't upgrade the car since it's a lease. I can live without NAV, if I did get a NAV it would be a portable unit ( I own three vehicles).

My only hurdle is the wife (BMW nut), but if I get AT it should make her happy. She hates my short shifter (when I let her drive the car), and she has her X5, so leave me alone!

Interesting. I like the stock tires, they are the 45's, with the high speed rating. They seem to go well (they sure cornered good this morning!). I tried this car in the parking lot last big snowstorm, and I was surprised at how well they held in deep snow. I would run them into winter, and I guess at the first scare I would buy winters. I know about NH winters, they're pretty much the same as here.

About the seat. I did have to work at getting a good position. Doesn't help that the wheel doesn't telescope, but whatever. I like the footroom in the Legacy, there is more of it than my 325i. It's a slightly more upright position with more headroom (and I don't have a sunroof in my car).

Does the AT have a stinky clutch? I smelled something funny this morning but "Tim" said it was the brakes and that wears off after a while...

when is the new 330xi coming out?

In the fall.

So I figure:

330i: 47,400

AWD part: about 3,000

Nice paint: 800

Not including a sports package for $2800, that's already 13k more than a Legacy. Once again, I get that there are no headlight washers or adaptive Xenons etc...but when one runs this kind of mileage I feel like it's spending too much money for a car.

the funny smell could be the "rotten egg" smell... the new 330xi should get similar, if not more, power compared to 2.5GT, plus the price already includes the maintenance.

both are nice cars, but the 330xi has better build quality, more toys, better resale value. some may say its AWD system isn't as good as Subaru's, i dunno.

i guess it all depends on how much you want to spend.

This Space For Rent

I switched from BMW to Leg/GT, MT, wagon because BMW would not provide the 330 engine in the NorAm 3 series AWD wagon. I was concerned that I would miss "BMW", but not at all. I love my Leg/GT more every day, (5,300 miles).

I am 5ft 9 in tall and weigh about 175 with a bad lower back. The Leg/GT seats are as or more comfortabe than my last BMW and better for my lower back than my wifes Range Rover seats. I love the Leg/GT seats. I have no problem with the AC doing strange things, but do have the stinky clutch. I wish Suby had offered a great audio upgrade.

I love driving the Leg/GT as much as my past BMWs and it is faster than my last 328. Great handling, simple, well done controls, great no glare dashboard in flat black, like BMW. Wider 18 inch tires did improve overal feel. I did not want the sunroof, but it is much better than my past BMW or Lexus. The Leg/GT is a well done, tight, fun torque toy. Enjoy

I switched from BMW to Leg/GT, MT, wagon because BMW would not provide the 330 engine in the NorAm 3 series AWD wagon. I was concerned that I would miss "BMW", but not at all. I love my Leg/GT more every day, (5,300 miles).

I am 5ft 9 in tall and weigh about 175 with a bad lower back. The Leg/GT seats are as or more comfortabe than my last BMW and better for my lower back than my wifes Range Rover seats. I love the Leg/GT seats. I have no problem with the AC doing strange things, but do have the stinky clutch. I wish Suby had offered a great audio upgrade.

I love driving the Leg/GT as much as my past BMWs and it is faster than my last 328. Great handling, simple, well done controls, great no glare dashboard in flat black, like BMW. Wider 18 inch tires did improve overal feel. I did not want the sunroof, but it is much better than my past BMW or Lexus. The Leg/GT is a well done, tight, fun torque toy. Enjoy

This is excellent feedback, thank you.

i don't have any smell with my 5spd manual. I've had nothing but fun with the Legacy GT and now with AP even more. I had a WRX and Forestor and with a set of snows in the winter you'll be ok. The RE92's will not do in Quebec. I hear it's legal to have studded tires there. Also i think that it is mandatory that all cars be fitted with snow tires in the winter.

i believe that it has to do with the gas, but how does it get inside my car when i am driving at 65+ MPH on the high way?

Thats our wonderful ventilation system.

I really think its all related. If the vents didn't let air through or were sucking air from a different spot, then i think we wouldn't have any of these issues. I think a lot of cars probably give off certain smells like this, but when you combine that with the ACC system which is letting air flow in, its getting right into the cabin.

Any luck with switching the gas for you?

:rolleyes: What kind of incentives for us Canucks? I'm considering a Legacy GT 5spd manual on my local Subaru dealer's lot...apart from the 3.9 APR finance rate, I haven't been offered anything else at this point - let me know! Thanks!!!!!

Hi Legacy Owners,

I'm a BMW 325i owner since last May31st. Since then I've driven about 39,000kms in the car. Unfortunately, the traction control and RWD really aren't up to winter. I live in the country and drive daily into the city 50 miles in, miles out.

I am ready to switch cars while Subaru of Canada is giving lots of incentive to sell cars in the Spring. Oh, and I'm going to the drive event for the new 3 series tonight.

I thought it would be fun to compare the 250hp Legacy GT AWD (40k with AT) to tonight's ride, the 255hp RWD 330i (49,000 with AT and a nice color).

So this morning I stopped by the dealership and took out the Legacy GT. I laready know about the acceleration and the quiet cabin, good seats and great steering wheel. But when I took a circular on-ramp and the salesman kept telling me "go faster", I could hardly believe it! Man that car corners well!

Anyway, I'll be leasing, so the only mods that would go on this car would be an interim set of tires after I wear out the stock tires. The payment would be less than what I'm currently paying to finance my 325i.

Basically for 40k, I get handling and power and safety similar to a 50k Bimmer, without the Roundel. I understand there is a difference, stock Xenons (adaptive) fancy DTC with fancy braking gizmos, etc, but apples to apples (forget styling for now, that is subjective), why shouldn't I get a Legacy?

Thanks for having me!

i don't have any smell with my 5spd manual. I've had nothing but fun with the Legacy GT and now with AP even more. I had a WRX and Forestor and with a set of snows in the winter you'll be ok. The RE92's will not do in Quebec. I hear it's legal to have studded tires there. Also i think that it is mandatory that all cars be fitted with snow tires in the winter.

It's not mandatory yet, but they're talking about it. A lot of people can't afford it. Apparently 75% of Quebecers do it anyway. I always have seperate snows and rims, it makes good sense.

:rolleyes: What kind of incentives for us Canucks? I'm considering a Legacy GT 5spd manual on my local Subaru dealer's lot...apart from the 3.9 APR finance rate, I haven't been offered anything else at this point - let me know! Thanks!!!!!

Here's the deal I got yesterday. I asked for 3 years, 40,000kms, 'cause I can't bear to buy again with the mileage I put on.

Legacy GT Limited, AT. $39,650, Zero cash down. 2.8%, $17910 is the residual value. Monthly payment is $775.09.

A new 330xi will be somewhere over $50,000, hence well over 1000/month for a lease.

Where are you? I go to Subaru de Sources in Montreal.

Archived