LegacyGT.com

Tail light mod

GTTuner

I was following my wife in the GT and I was noticing the lack of lighting from the back of the car at night. The upper bulb is only used for turn signals, and the lower part is for stop and tail.

So, I took the turn signal bulbs out and replaced them with the same bulb in the stop lamp. Then I just added two wires to each connector and tapped into the tail lamps. Now the whole rear lamp assembly lights up as running lights, and the rest work as before. WHat a difference in both visibility and appearance. Probably the best ten dollar mod I ever did!!!!!!!!

Im hooked now, i'm going to try to convert the whole rear lighting over to LED's. If anyone has stock tail lamps assemblys for an 05 LGT sedan, I'd be interested in buying them.

His method is just for brake lights. I did the running lights. Posting a picture tomorrow.

BTW....did you see the instructions for "oil change". If u need instructions for that, you shoudn't be doing it!

Thanks for the link Pete, some cool stuff.

i think it's already been done :iam: if i understood what he is gonna do

See post #2 dood and then post #3 following. The install is of the brakelight mod and his is just the running light mod. 2 different things.

His method is just for brake lights. I did the running lights. Posting a picture tomorrow.

BTW....did you see the instructions for "oil change". If u need instructions for that, you shoudn't be doing it!

People have to learn somehow man, You didn't know how to change your oil at one point in time either.....but someone walked you through it while "you did it"......I just collect all the documents and stuff that people write up and put them in one place for easy reference......

As for the tail light, I agree there isn't a ton of light there but after this mod at night the car will 100% look like a camry from the rear, I thought about it once or twice....and decided I didn't wanna make the car anymore camry-esque :icon_bigg

DEF wanna check out the pics though (Dusky and night), maybe you'll change my mind ;)

People have to learn somehow man, You didn't know how to change your oil at one point in time either.....but someone walked you through it while "you did it"......I just collect all the documents and stuff that people write up and put them in one place for easy reference......

Agreed. :)

For some, the only way to learn is from these e-references - for whatever reason, they may simply lack mechanically knowledgeable friends and/or family, and may not even be able to access a local enthusiast group.

Certainly, this kind of stuff, while extremely basic, is never covered in any of our provided ownership documents. :(:icon_mad: The best that our manuals ever did is: "...this can be a difficult task, take the vehicle to your dealer." :lol:

Besides, even surgeons have to start out by learning on pigs' feet. :icon_tong

But, on a lighter note, I totally think that GTTuner was joking and meant that his statement in a light-hearted way. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thirty-six hours? How about 13? I need a few to upload the pics.

Man, you guys are a tough crowd!:lol:

Better get Crack-A-Lackin....times a tickin'! :lol:

J/K....I would like to check it out, though! :icon_bigg

"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

Tough love, tough love. ;)

GTTuner, that looks really nice! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Hmmmm and both lighting conditions......AWESOME.......

I think I might do it in the near future......and you are right, it's all about steath with my car this time around too....and better to be seen then rearended, no matter what you have to give up.....

I'm 90% highway too.......and down to RI alot, maybe I'll see thoes puppies in person on the road, I'll know exactly who it was I spotted too ;)

Hey, I'm married. I'm used to the abuse!

Ain't that the truth, bruddah! Preach on! :lol:

First, toss the 7440 bulbs frome the turn signals. Get four 7443's. Two will be spares incase one blows out. (you might want to double ck the bulb #, I'm pretty sure they were 7443's. Just use the stock tail/stop bulb number)

1. Prep the bulb. bend the two middle prongs down, and open them slightly so as to loop an 18 gauge wire thru and twist tight. Carefully solder the two wires on the use heat shrink to insulate the connection.

2. Next, you need to get a 1/8 drill (or 3/32 is better) and drill out the blank slots in the bulb socket. This is to lead the two wires through.

3. Feed the wires thru the connector and plug the bulb in. Tug slightly on the wires you added to ensure the bulb is seated.

4. locate the red wire on the stop lamp socket, and tap into that.

5. locate the black wire at the back up lamp bulb, and tap the other wire to that. I used the back up lamp ground because two wire taps on the stop lamp makes things crowded down there. See the picture, two 14ga wire taps (light blue)

6. install the bulb and ck lamp operation, your DONE.

Keep the other bulbs you preped handy so when one goes out you have a spare ready. If you could find the terminals they use in the socket, you could skip having to solder wires. I just was lazy and didn't search for any.

BTW.....I absolutly meant no disrespect about the oil change thing. I was amused by it because it reminded me of my brother. The guy is freaking brilliant, has his own software company, but couldn't open a garage door with supervision! LOL

Archived