LegacyGT.com

switching from N-Carolina Oil to CT, difference?

hey guys, so the previous owner of my car lived in North Carolina for the last 2 years and now i have the car here in CT where the weather conditions are a little different (cold)...what brand of oil would you guys recommend and what grade? I heard overall the best would be 5w30 but i dont know anything about oils:spin: Also what brand of oil filter would you recommend....thanks:cool:

5w30 synth has survived sub -20F days in Minnesota without issue.

Do note that it takes your oil a while to warm up when it's cold -- give it like 10-20 min before going to higher RPMs. (And that's 10-20 min of driving, because you also have to warm up the transmission and diff fluids)

what are your opinions on the Mobil 1? 10w30? I did some reading and supposely its great but i dont know if im ready to switch to synthetic yet. I want to but not sure if it really benefits me. Ive got a cat back exhaust, panel filter, and i beat on the car once in a while but not that much..

what are your opinions on the Mobil 1? 10w30? I did some reading and supposely its great but i dont know if im ready to switch to synthetic yet. I want to but not sure if it really benefits me. Ive got a cat back exhaust, panel filter, and i beat on the car once in a while but not that much..

Small turbo motor? Yes, it benefits you. The oil on this car runs pretty darn hot. The big temp ranges are a huge advantage.

Any synthetic is "fine" if it comes from a reputable manufacturer.

I have been using what ever oil is cheapest at Walmart lately that has been Mobil 5000 The price just went up to $9.64 for the 5qt bottle. I use 5w30 in cold weather and 10w30 in the summer. Have used just about every kind of oil over the last 40 years of driving. Everything from Quaker State back in the mid 70's, (that was the last time I bought that crap, cost me an engine) to Enos in our race Honda

I also use Fram filters from Walmart.

I change my oil around 5000 to 6000 miles after the first breakin period, about 5000 miles, I change it about 4 times in the 1st 5000 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have been using what ever oil is cheapest at Walmart lately that has been Mobil 5000 The price just went up to $9.64 for the 5qt bottle. I use 5w30 in cold weather and 10w30 in the summer. Have used just about every kind of oil over the last 40 years of driving. Everything from Quaker State back in the mid 70's, (that was the last time I bought that crap, cost me an engine) to Enos in our race Honda

I also use Fram filters from Walmart.

I change my oil around 5000 to 6000 miles after the first breakin period, about 5000 miles, I change it about 4 times in the 1st 5000 miles.

Mobil 5000 is SAE 20 after few hundred miles in this engine. Totally inappropriate oil for a turbo Suby. 5000-6000 miles on it? :spin: Fram filters? :spin:

That's right all of the millions of engines with fram oil filters on them are DOOMED :lol:

And everybody knows that the more expensive the oil is the better it works. Of course, the harder the oil is to buy, the more it shows how much the owner loves their car.

:lol:

To the OP, follow the requirements of the owner's manual and you will be fine. That's any "SL" rated oil (the spec is always changing so they ar on "SN" now IIRC) in 5w30 weight. Subaru changed the oil change interval from 7000 miles to 3,500 miles.

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30.....around $4 a quart and a quality synthetic that meets all your needs. End of story.

If you want to spend money for the sake of spending money, go with Mobil One 0w40, Redline 0w40 or 5w40, AMSOIL 0w40 european blend.....they are some of the best oils money can buy for our engines. Will you ever notice a difference? Probably not :)

Joe

ok thanks everyone for the input, what are your opinions on Redline or Royal Purple? I heard those are the best

Royal Purple is way too expensive.

Any syn will do fine.

Archived