LegacyGT.com

Switching from AWD to front wheel drive

I know you can do it on the older Subaru Legacys by putting in a fuse. But, does anyone know if you can do on the newer ones (2006)?

Also, we kind of towed that same car about 10 miles today on a tow dolly, without disconnecting the drive shaft to the rear wheels. Granted, we only went 30 MPH the whole way. Anyone know if that will mess anything up? It's manual btw (I don't know if it makes a difference).

Check for a smoked center differential. Thats a whole lot of towing with the diffs locked together.

What trim level and transmission do you have.

If its a 5 speed manual or a 5eat better start saving bucks for a new center diff. If its a 5 speed manual you most likely destroyed the viscous coupling.

Check for a smoked center differential. Thats a whole lot of towing with the diffs locked together.

What trim level and transmission do you have.

If its a 5 speed manual or a 5eat better start saving bucks for a new center diff. If its a 5 speed manual you most likely destroyed the viscous coupling.

Hmmm, it's that serioush huh?

It's a 5 speed manual. How much is this viscous coupling going to cost me and how hard is it to install? How will I know that I smoked it? I drove it in the driveway of the shop afterwards and didn't notice anything.

You need to take apart the transmission to install the center diff viscous coupling.

Its hard to tell definitively if you smoked it or not. The only way to tell is if you need it... Say front wheels on ice and rear wheels on asphalt. If the diff is smoked the car wont transfer power front to rear.

The viscous coupling is supposed to equalize the diffrence of speed between the front drive axles and the rear drive axles.

30 mph between the front and rear axles for 10 miles is enough to do some serious damage.

Why were you towing the car?

You need to take apart the transmission to install the center diff viscous coupling.

Its hard to tell definitively if you smoked it or not. The only way to tell is if you need it... Say front wheels on ice and rear wheels on asphalt. If the diff is smoked the car wont transfer power front to rear.

The viscous coupling is supposed to equalize the diffrence of speed between the front drive axles and the rear drive axles.

30 mph between the front and rear axles for 10 miles is enough to do some serious damage.

Why were you towing the car?

To a body shop. It got hit.

Since he was on a tow dolly shouldn't his driveline be okay?

yeah, I thought with the tow dolly the rears were not moving, just resting in a cradle.

still though, tough lesson to learn there. hate to be in your shoes:rolleyes:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I would definitely try to get the tow company to pay for any damage. I got towed like a week and a half ago. When I called they asked what kind of car I had and brought a flat bed because they knew it was AWD. That is something that all tow truck companies should know.

• 1 year later...

Here's what happened to me:

1. I have a 05 LGT, 5 speed
  2. My clutch gave out, so I called roadside assistance for a tow.
  3. The car may have been stuck in 1st gear.
  4. They started towing my car with 2 rear wheels on the ground.
  5. After 3 blocks, the driver pulled over, popped the hood, and put a fuse in the FWD socket (remember, this is manual + turbo)
  6. After 3 more blocks, there was a loud popping noise.
  7. The driver pulled over, and told me to keep going. I do not know what he did that time.
  8. The car was towed for 1.2 miles.
  9. Currently, my LGT is at Don Beyer Subaru. They are going to check for damage from the tow.

What should I ask Subaru to check? Here's my list so far:

1. Center Differential
  2. Transmission
  3. ???

"If there is damage from the improper tow, then I have an insurance claim and the damage will be covered." -- Words from my Adjuster, who is also a Subie owner :).

PS - I have done my research. This car cannot be towed with 2 wheels on the ground. Also, the FWD fuse is for Automatic, Non-turbo models ONLY (2 things my car is not).

Archived