LegacyGT.com

Swapping to LED lights

05SilverScubie

Hey guys i know there's other threads on here with some guys putting LEDs in the front turn signals after they clear them, but it leaves a fast flash and everyone seems to leave it that way. I plan on swapping every bulb over on my 07 Spec. Just did the rear tag and reverse lights (hyper white looks schweeet), was going to do the brake/tails but i gotta figure out that typical 3157 wiring issue.

My question being, does anyone know if there is a regular, 3 prong flasher (ya know, the thing that makes the blinkers blink!) under the dash or hood somewhere? :confused: I found the clicker on the relay board next to the fuse panel, but it's got a whole harness to it so i wasn't sure if that's the only one or if there's another flasher hidden somewhere. My plan was to replace the flasher with and electronic one so I don't have to mess with resistors...they get really hot and i prefer to not have a rapid flash.

Thanks for any input fellas

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna use LED's on the rear turn signals because the '09 wagon already has clear lenses. Had the same concerns. Either you have to use resistors and use an adapter to keep the flasher consistant or just leave it as is.

Only paid $20 for the 7440 LED's. I might just leave it and live with the fast blink. You really got to know what you're doing to mess with the wiring...i'm not an electrical guru.

Instead of using resisters to fix the fast blinking you can modify the stock blinker module with a rheostat. I will be making a how to thread when I do it to my brothers. If you search around for the tap blinker mod you can learn more. Sadly there are no plug and play solutions currently.

Hey gone2vegas...yeah I remember your comments in the past about that.

Do you think it's legit to just leave the LED's as is...and just live with the "fast blink"? I'm just doing the tails. Wasn't sure if that itself could cause any electrical issues from the lower draw bulbs?

Have any of you did the LED DRLs on your car. I just did them last night and the Cool White is very nice color when it is very dark outside. Only down fall is that the stock DRLs are brighter in the day. But the LED DRLs set the car off at night and in the daytime. Oh yeah PS they were 17 dollar a piece hehe. But if you see the front of my car in the darkness, then that is why I would pay to be different.

Hey guys i know there's other threads on here with some guys putting LEDs in the front turn signals after they clear them, but it leaves a fast flash and everyone seems to leave it that way. I plan on swapping every bulb over on my 07 Spec. Just did the rear tag and reverse lights (hyper white looks schweeet), was going to do the brake/tails but i gotta figure out that typical 3157 wiring issue.

My question being, does anyone know if there is a regular, 3 prong flasher (ya know, the thing that makes the blinkers blink!) under the dash or hood somewhere? :confused: I found the clicker on the relay board next to the fuse panel, but it's got a whole harness to it so i wasn't sure if that's the only one or if there's another flasher hidden somewhere. My plan was to replace the flasher with and electronic one so I don't have to mess with resistors...they get really hot and i prefer to not have a rapid flash.

Thanks for any input fellas

search

http://superbrightleds.com/specs/CF18-08.html

Hey gone2vegas...yeah I remember your comments in the past about that.

Do you think it's legit to just leave the LED's as is...and just live with the "fast blink"? I'm just doing the tails. Wasn't sure if that itself could cause any electrical issues from the lower draw bulbs?

I did mine a while ago and can't remember what my comments were. At that time I didn't know about the replacement flasher unit and installed resistors. I'm no electrical expert, but I don't see why you couldn't leave the fast blink.

Have any of you did the LED DRLs on your car. I just did them last night and the Cool White is very nice color when it is very dark outside. Only down fall is that the stock DRLs are brighter in the day. But the LED DRLs set the car off at night and in the daytime. Oh yeah PS they were 17 dollar a piece hehe. But if you see the front of my car in the darkness, then that is why I would pay to be different.

no pics???

actually, to buy it you need to go here: http://superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR then select the CF18-08 unit

you can also get it here http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm it's the one for new toyotas and scions

I installed this one.

http://www.liberal-aero.com/products/parts/led_winkerbulb/index.html

But have probrem.

JDM have posision bulb but USDM doesn't. So I have to installed this for front.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspxMfrCode=JST&MfrPartNumber=3157A

Also I installed this for brake bulb.

http://www.liberal-aero.com/products/parts/led_stopbulb/index.html

These are working just fine right now.

I did mine a while ago and can't remember what my comments were. At that time I didn't know about the replacement flasher unit and installed resistors. I'm no electrical expert, but I don't see why you couldn't leave the fast blink.

Ok so the main reason to use the resistors is to prevent rapid flash or issues with low draw from the LED bulb?

You used yours on brake lights I thought? But I know some bulbs are higher powered and that I think is what can cause the electrical problems potentially.

BTW - do you have any pics of your brake LED's?

Ok so the main reason to use the resistors is to prevent rapid flash or issues with low draw from the LED bulb?

You used yours on brake lights I thought? But I know some bulbs are higher powered and that I think is what can cause the electrical problems potentially.

BTW - do you have any pics of your brake LED's?

I installed resistors for the turn signals, currently only have LEDs in the rear. I swapped my tails out for the Screates. You can see an old picture here

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1803062&postcount=56

This all looks good fellas i appreciate it.

I tried installing some red tower LEDs for the brake/tail and ran into a little issue yesterday. Seems that if the bulb is plugged all the way in, only the brake lights work, but half way in where it can only touch the tail prong, the tail lights work. I took all the pins out of the pig tail to "trunk" bench test it and it seems for some odd reason when all the wires are in the proper place, if you touch the unpowered brake lead to the light bulb, the tail light goes out...:confused:..can't figure that one out. So anyways I gave up and changed the wiring in the lights so the turn signal and brake are swapped....now it's Independent LED brake light on top, LED reverse, and tail/turn signal on the bottom, i also did the LED tag lights...looks pretty good. I'm going to try that flasher next so i can do all of my signals.

I bought my lights from eautoworks.com and even though a little on the pricey side, seem very well put together. I've bought from autolumination and superbright in the past and they're weak and burn out. I hope these dont either! :)

I installed resistors for the turn signals, currently only have LEDs in the rear. I swapped my tails out for the Screates. You can see an old picture here

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1803062&postcount=56

My bad, I thought you got the LED's for the brake bulbs. Wow you scored... can't get the Screates any more.

The resistors alone fixed the rapid blink in your case?

Just converted the entire backend to LEDs (brake/tail, turns, reverse and 3rd brake light). Got the replacement electronic flasher from autolumination.com and it works perfectly, no fast blink...lights look real good. Tackling the front next.

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

The one for New Toyotas and Scions, $20, has a number 06500-4650 just above the price. 8 pin.

If you open your interior fuse panel cover (above your left shin) and look to the right of the fuse board, you'll see a bunch of blue relays. Tucked up ontop of the relays is a larger looking "relay" white in color, that's the flasher. If you remove the kick panel underneath, followed by the kick panel (knee panel) it will make everything a little easier to see. There are 2 black clips attaching this relay board to the fuse board. Push on them to slide the relay board towards you, and down at the very end. The wires are long enough to allow the entire unit to drop right down so you can see everything. You need a small flathead or pointy object to reach inside the clip to release it from the relay board. You should see what i mean...i'm not too crafty with photo shop. :spin:

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

The one for New Toyotas and Scions, $20, has a number 06500-4650 just above the price. 8 pin.

If you open your interior fuse panel cover (above your left shin) and look to the right of the fuse board, you'll see a bunch of blue relays. Tucked up ontop of the relays is a larger looking "relay" white in color, that's the flasher. If you remove the kick panel underneath, followed by the kick panel (knee panel) it will make everything a little easier to see. There are 2 black clips attaching this relay board to the fuse board. Push on them to slide the relay board towards you, and down at the very end. The wires are long enough to allow the entire unit to drop right down so you can see everything. You need a small flathead or pointy object to reach inside the clip to release it from the relay board. You should see what i mean...i'm not too crafty with photo shop. :spin:

Thanks for that. So basically you upgrade the flasher and that's it? No modification to the wiring or fuses?

Archived