LegacyGT.com

Suspicious gas smell.

I have a 2001 legacy GT with 101K on it. Where I live i have to let it warm up for a good ten minutes before driving cause its so cold out. When i get in the inside of my car has a very strong gas smell. When I start driving I can no longer smell it and then when I come to a stop sign or a stoplight the smell returns. I have looked under the hood and see no lines leaking, injectors LOOK sealed, and I cant smell the gas when i'm under the hood. Just wondering if anyone has had or heard of this problem before it would be very helpful.

I think that you should check the gas tank and areas around that first, the filler and ventilation to make sure that all hoses are OK, and that no rodent has been consuming part of a hose.

Also lift the car and check for any damages under it.

453747.png

Your 01 GT is likely similar to my wife's 02 Forester when it comes to fuel lines. Her car had the same issue starting a couple of winters ago. Did some research and it usually came down to a slight weeping leak where the rubber fuel lines connect to the hard lines on top of the heads, but only when it got below 20 deg F out.

There was some noticeable moisture build up around the connection and just below it that was definitely fuel. I snugged up the hose clamps and haven't seen or smelled any issues since.

Apparently there is a revised fuel line setup from Subaru, but it isn't cheap. Check and tighten up your hose clamps first...worth a try. Just don't put your shoulder into tightening up the clamps, they are quite small and won't take a gorilla grip if you know what I mean. Good luck.

Thanks for all the help guys, Its been about 0-5 degrees where i live at night for the past week or so and I think that may cause the seals to leak a little. I havent smelled the gas lately but I have a lot more problems to ask about, and i'm starting a new post theres so many. Thanks again

Check your catalytic converter. Due to the mileage you have, it possibly might be it. My car stinks inside when I leave it running on a standstill, or if I drive hard, but then again, I have an aftermarket DP with no cats. Check it out just to be sure though.

I have a simillar issue in that I can put up to 3/4 of a tank in and all is good. However, if I fill it until the handle clicks off; I get some fuel smell for a while. When I looked at the fuel pump; there was a little moisture(gasoline) all the way around the housing. If it is FRESH gas and not exhaust fumes; you may also want to pull the back seat out and check the fuel pump gasket too. I re-torqued the nuts and it stopped for a while, but it's back and I'll be changing the FP gasket out as soon as I run the fuel low enough. I'm pretty sure that the only reason mine is leaking is that I did the FP upgrade about a year ago and re-used the gasket:rolleyes:.

While picking up the gasket at the dealer; I talked to one of the techs and he said that if you fill the tank too full and gas spills over in the filler hose that over time it will plug/ruin/fill the charcoal canister that is supposed to capture those fumes if an overfill occurs. Be sure to let us know what you find.

Let's kick this pig!

• 2 weeks later...

I have intermittent fuel smell in my 01 Legacy 76k mi. as well. It's most noticeable when first starting car. I had changed the fuel filter and rubber hose to metal line [on top of left manifold]. WhatV8 said "...leak where the rubber fuel lines connect to the hard lines on top of the heads..."

1] Is there another fuel line connection on top of right head or in other locations in engine compartment?

2] Are there connections located elsewhere that would bring smell in through climate control vents?

Thanks

Yup, that is common on the older subies.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived