LegacyGT.com

Suspension "Issues" gone after RE92's Killed

bstieritz_GT

So, over the last few months I've posted threads up on the forum about crazy shakes/rattles/rolls coming from suspension parts after, what I thought at the time, was an f-ed up front/rear Cusco Sway Bar install. Not only would the suspension "clunk" at the tiniest crack in the road, the suspension felt as if it was coming apart at the joints and the steering feedback was horrible. Needless to say, after numerous attempts and suggests from helpful members on this forum, I was ready to trade the LGT in and be done.

A few days ago, I took advantage of a decent tire sale at Costco ($60 bucks off a set of Michelins). I decided on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 225/45/17s on stock rims. RE92s still had about 1/2 tread on them, but I needed a change and I did my research settling on the Michelins.

After the tire installation, all my previous "suspension issues" were pretty much gone (knock on wood). No crazy clunks, bumps, scary rattles. Tires were much quieter all around and the vehicle feels solid and planted on the road. Believe me, a complete 180 to what it was. I guess I never realized how the RE92s effected the performance on the vehicle. Even though the price was substantial, I'm sorry I didn't do this sooner.

What the hell could have been the issue? I was thinking a few things and it might be a collection of all these things...1) a little more tire on the tarmac by going with the 225 as opposed to the 215. 2) My tires/wheels could have seriously needed a good balancing 3) I get the feeling I need a class on properly mounting a wheel/tire. I admit, I don't use a torque wrench so that might be problem one. I use the star pattern and tighten the lugnuts almost tight when up on the jack, then snug them down after dropping the wheel on the ground. I guess I might not be tightening the lugnuts to spec, causing all sorts of problems on the wheels..........maybe my problem never was the suspension in the first place..........maybe it was my f-ed up wheel installation techniques.

Whatever it was, seems to be in good shape now and I'll comment on the Michelin tires more after I put some more mileage on them.

Archived