LegacyGT.com

Sunroof Not Flush

paintpollz

• Mega Users

This happened 5 years ago. A shitload of snow came sliding off a slate roof on top of my car.

This is facing the back of the car.

sunroof.thumb.jpg.e05fe6cc0b97d2dac0c07f4907bca581.jpg

Do you guys know where to start with fixing this? It almost seems as if the glass had a natural curve to it that the snow flattened when it hit it.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

My gf's 2002 did that. It was a broken plastic clip on the inside that pretty much holds it in the track. Unfortunately, you will most likely be pulling your headliner and taking the assembly out to repair it. Unless you have little girl hands, you won't be doing much fixing with it installed.

• Mega Users
My gf's 2002 did that. It was a broken plastic clip on the inside that pretty much holds it in the track. Unfortunately, you will most likely be pulling your headliner and taking the assembly out to repair it. Unless you have little girl hands, you won't be doing much fixing with it installed.

is this what you have to do to replace the glass?

I am going to go ahead and say that your glass probably doesn't need to be replaced, but yes. It is fairly easy. About 8 screws over your head and the whole assembly comes out as one. Just plan for your headliner to be down for a day or so and take your time.

If it's bugging you enough, you might as well take it all out and have a thorough look at it.

• Mega Users
I'm thinking the inside track may be bent.

I know a great body shop in Ellington.

I think you are spot on with this. I think the tracks are bent, and so is the glass, making it look chaotic. Yes, I said the glass is BENT, it has lost its curveature with the roof line. I'm getting MikeyDs sunroof mod soon, even tho I shouldn't because I'm broke as ish, so I'd like to get this straightened out ASAP.

You think the body shop in Ellington can handle this work for a reasonable price?

I think you should take a look at it yourself before anything. Partially open your sunroof and tell me that anything but a long screwdriver or a tree can bend that. I know snow is heavy in avon and all, but just humor me and go look at the track. The plastic will bend and crack before that metal does. FWIW, I'm in for results, and good luck!

• Mega Users
I think you should take a look at it yourself before anything. Partially open your sunroof and tell me that anything but a long screwdriver or a tree can bend that. I know snow is heavy in avon and all, but just humor me and go look at the track. The plastic will bend and crack before that metal does. FWIW, I'm in for results, and good luck!

I wish I still had a picture of one of the cars that was next door, totalled, the roof caved completely in. this was in Keene, NH during college. I live in West Hartford, get it right! :);)

I've never effed with a moonroof, and you are 100% right, I should try to make a diagnosis myself before bringing it somewhere. I just need to know where to look.

I figured it didn't happen around here :)

Yes take a look with the rood open and see what you can see.

Auto Authority on Jobs Hill Rd is the shop. 860 871 8138, tell Mike I sent you. He had his guy's fix all the broken wires in the hatch on the wagon for $120.00 the dealer wanted over $300.

I have known Mike for over 16 years, he knows Ryan too, as Mike painted the race car. If you ever need body work done, he is one of the best, he may not be the cheapest but the work and paint is amazing. His main business is restoration.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Can you look from the inside of the car and stick your head half way out the sunroof?

You should be able to see a silver track. That would be the metal.

Good way to see if anything is loose or broken would be to gently push up on the glass and see if it becomes flush. Don't be too gentle with it tho. The gasket is tight.

• Mega Users
Can you look from the inside of the car and stick your head half way out the sunroof?

You should be able to see a silver track. That would be the metal.

Good way to see if anything is loose or broken would be to gently push up on the glass and see if it becomes flush. Don't be too gentle with it tho. The gasket is tight.

Nothing is loose to the point where it mechanically feels broken or out of alignment. If I push up on the middle of the long ends of the glass, it has a little give, but I need to put some pressure on it. The four corners of the glass dont budge when you apply pressure.

This is what the sunroof looks like when tilt it up to try and make it flush with the roof. Notice that when I do that, even the part of the moonroof towards the front of the car is uneven

IMG00231-20120925-1800-1.thumb.jpg.cd49de2252c930b08131e442de5f3284.jpg

IMG00230-20120925-1800.thumb.jpg.321bedf46ca42964e6901ac85b13f412.jpg

• Mega Users

ya I just read a forester thread that had the same sort of mounting set up. 2 on each corner.

I took a closer look at the sunroof the other day. the glass is concaved, but not broken. The metal runners around the glass that act as the skeleton have a curve to them that just got flatten out when the snow hit it.

Archived