LegacyGT.com

Sunroof Hack? (close faster!)

Canon20D

Is there a way to get the sunroof to open / close more quickly? Right now it takes 3-4 "opens" or Closes to get it fully open. I dont mind 2, one to tilt it up and 1 to open it fully, but it stops like 3/4 way open, and 1/2 closed, then 3/4 closed, then tilt down. Like - CLOSE already! I searched but didnt find anything. :(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask and you shall recieve (sort of).........

After seeing this thread, having seen this question asked a number of times before (or bitched about really :lol:), and having had to deal with it myself for the past six years............I decided to just go outside and see what might be done to remedy this sunroof stupidity.

Here's the "sort of"............I drive an '01 (BE) and don't have immediate access to an '05+.

Here's the good news........I FIGURED IT OUT!!! :woowoo:

If anyone in the Philly area wants to be a guinea pig for the '05+, just respond here or PM me.

It's simple (took me 15 mins including discovery), minimally invasive and only requires a $5 part. :cool:

It's a current draw/resistance thing and I will post final details when I have confirmed the hack works on the '05+. If I don't have any takers here in Philly, I will try it when I hit D.C. again in a couple of weeks (I have access to a few '05+ there). :)

Please don't ask how it's done until I have confirmed, as I don't want to post an erroneous solution or have someone try it and blow something up. Thanks.

Id like to hear the outcome of this,

OMG That video is awesome, I love the whole head falling inside the car too.

Just.. so... graphic.. can't... stop... replaying...

^^^From the "reference material" I have picked up it appears that the wagon and sedan sunroof circuits are slightly different. So, further testing may be needed to confirm that it works on the sedan too. Although it seems that if it works for the one it will work for the other (based on diagrams, the difference doesn't seem to effect this method).

First things first, let me confirm the wagon and then we'll do the sedan for efficacy.

I'll report back around 9:00 EST..........

PM sent.

Hey Guys, Bad News.:mad:

The wagon is a no-go, I repeat.......the wagon is a no-go. :mad:

The movement on the wagon sunroof is a lot more complicated than the sedan is apparently, and the module is not configured the same way. Again......:mad:

Well, sorry guys I did my best for the wagon peeps out there and I'll go back to the drawing board for you guys. :)

However, I have not given up on the possibility that the sedan will produce a different result (although my faith that it will has diminished a bit).

ercdvs, in my '01 there is no longer any hesitation, nor any half-way stopping. It closes smoothly from start to finish, which is what I'm hoping we can do for the 05+ sedan folks. Call me as soon as you get to this post and we'll setup to meet and test yours.

Again, sorry to all the wagon peeps for getting your hopes up (I haven't quit yet though) and for the sedan guys, I'll keep you posted.

Archived