LegacyGT.com

Sunroof failure?

I just got to work and try to open the front portion of the wagon's sunroof. Only the right side came up. The left side remained down. I didn't try to open it all the way, nor did I have time to figure out what is wrong. Anyone seen a similar problem like this?

I haven't had any problems with the wagon yet ,but I had issues with my Sedan. The sunroof would open as normal but when shutting it would hit the little metal piece that popped up and then it would automatically reopen like a garage door. The only way to get it to shut was to hold down the bar from the outside and close it slowly. It did it for about a week, then was fine.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

There was a TSB bulletin about sunroof operational problems which sound alot like what you have.

#12-100-07 Sunroof Rod and Shade Hook

If you encounter a sun shade that rattles or does not slide correctly with the sunroof operation,there is the possibility that the resin shade hook and/or resin rod end may be broken. Previously, the entire sunroof assembly had to be replaced to correct this condition. Effective immediately, the resin shade hook, rod and resin rod end are now available as a kit for either side.

• 2 years later...
I had this problem as well. Sunroof was intermittent for a while, then failed completely. I exposed it and the cable had broken off whatever it was originally attached to so the motor worked and the cable moved, but it was no longer attached to the glass to move it. Subaru dealers tell me the roof is one piece and it costs about $700 plus labor. I just tried to download this service bulletin, but there is a charge? Does anybody know where to get this information and/or can you tell me what it says? Is there a way to fix this without buying a whole new sunroof?

I had this problem as well. Sunroof was intermittent for a while, then failed completely. I exposed it and the cable had broken off whatever it was originally attached to so the motor worked and the cable moved, but it was no longer attached to the glass to move it. Subaru dealers tell me the roof is one piece and it costs about $700 plus labor. I just tried to download this service bulletin, but there is a charge? Does anybody know where to get this information and/or can you tell me what it says? Is there a way to fix this without buying a whole new sunroof?

Looks like L7 is no longer hosting the bulletins any longer. I have a PDF copy of that one but its too large to attach. Its only for 2005 and later Legacy/outbacks with the sunroof.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know where I can get (without buying the entire shop manual) a parts diagram/exploded view of my 1999 Subaru Legacy SUS Sunroof? I need to get in there to try to figure out how to fix it, but it would be nice to know the correct way to remove and re-assemble?

Thanks in advance.

Archived