LegacyGT.com

Subaru vs other AWD cars

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a stack of AWD DSMs and two Stealth TT's before my Legacy. I don't think any of them really have an advantage in terms of plain traction. None have been equipped with anything other than summer-only tires so I can't really judge them in ice/snow (rare here). At the track, 1.7x 60ft's have been easy in all of them.

At the end of my mods the Stealth would get the rear sideways if I nailed it from ~ 10 mph while the wheel was turned. Any time before that level of power and it'd stay planted straight. Upgrading to 275-width rears fixed that; I could apply full throttle any time I wanted and would stay straight. That may be bad for "true" racing but it kept me on the pavement no matter what I did even if it wasn't the fastest line.

My Legacy seems to be much more willing to bring the back end around if nailed from a stop, say while making a left turn in a hurry. Now that I expect it, I actually like that it's more tossable. Of course it is ~ 600 lbs lighter than the Stealth :D

Pretty sure the 911 is rear biased clutch pack based system. If it has a central diff then I'd bet it's from Audi so I'm still right.

So is the Subaru AWD drivetrain on vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions, technically.

44.3% front traction, 55.7% rear traction on the 5EATs

Here's a video comparing the AWD system in the Legacy versus some other AWD vehicles. It was posted somewhere else on these forums too I believe:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw]YouTube - Subaru AWD vs. competitors[/ame]

And not just any Subaru, but a Spec.B of course

Actually, I think you can't have both together. The sheer, unimaginable awesomeness would tear this universe apart.

That's why we can't find alien life. Because every other world got to the point in their existence that they had a Chuck Norris and a Spec.B. Inevitably somebody asked Chuck to drive it and upon cranking that engine, the world collapsed.

I think we are dangerously close to the end.

So is the Subaru AWD drivetrain on vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions, technically.

44.3% front traction, 55.7% rear traction on the 5EATs

Those cars have VTD which is a center diff not a clutch pack. The only Subarus with clutch packs are the Active AWD ones in the low end 2.5i.

Pretty sure the 911 is rear biased clutch pack based system. If it has a central diff then I'd bet it's from Audi so I'm still right.

You pulled it from your ass?

911 has an epicyclic (same as plantary) differential with electronically controlled clutch packs. Essentially same design as STI's DCCD center differential.

Audis (not sure if all, but certainly most) have Torsen center diffs.

You pulled it from your ass?

911 has an epicyclic (same as plantary) differential with electronically controlled clutch packs. Essentially same design as STI's DCCD center differential.

Audis (not sure if all, but certainly most) have Torsen center diffs.

''The all-wheel drive system is more or less carryover from the 996 C4S, comprised of a multi-disk viscous coupling that transfers between five and forty percent of output to the front wheels when a reduction of traction occurs.''

''The viscous clutch all wheel drive system (997.1) sends between 5% and 40% of engine torque to the front wheels as needed.''

And the MT versions have always been with a center diff. But I wouldn't have complained if that had been a torsen.

Regardless I think that Subaru offers the best bang for the bucks when it comes to AWD in ordinary cars since they are priced about the same as competing 2WD cars and still has a similar fuel consumption.

The only real disadvantage I see is that if you have to replace one tire you may get in some trouble to avoid damage to the AWD system.

453747.png

Too bad we cant put him in a Forester in order to make it manly. I like foresters, but I would never be within five feet of one for fear of getting laughed at...

What if it looked something like this?

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3633/1201/21580600001_large.jpg

Too bad we cant put him in a Forester in order to make it manly. I like foresters, but I would never be within five feet of one for fear of getting laughed at...

Real men drive any car their want and don't give flying sh*t about what others think.

Archived