LegacyGT.com

The Subaru took some damage but got its revenge

As far as I can tell it's all cosmetic. I jacked up the back end and took a poke around. Didn't see any damage to suspension or gas tank. His truck went right over the top of the metal bumper under the plastic. But it pushed my trunk in pretty good. The cover to get to the spare won't open. All my passenger doors seem to open and close fine. But who knows for sure until I get someone to look at it. Any recommendations for body shop in the Denver area? Yes he is insured...already have a claim open with his company.

I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago, with a pathfinder.

But your car has more damage then my leggy. They told me it was cosmetic at first, but they had to pull the frame back a little, to fix the trunk. The cost was 2600 dollars. Are you okay? Here's my accident. I feel for you. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120476

The repairs normally need to total up to 80% of what the insurance feels is the ACV (actual cash value). Which is much less than what it is really worth.

Our 03 Jetta was totaled two weeks ago by a Honda rear ending us at 55mph. They only clipped the right/rear side and damages were in the $8k range and they totaled it. KBB retail was $13,500, nada was around $10,500.

Anyways good luck. I was actually glad they totaled our car, who wants a wrecked car with no resale value?

Go to the doctor and get checked out too. Insurance will pay for it. If there is indeed some problem/pain later you need to have this documented. Hope everyone is okay.

If they fix it (they more than likely will) researched diminished value. The vehicle will be worth less with an accident on the history and insurance is entitled to compensate for that diminished value.

an 07 GT isnt worth 19 with 5 grand in the trunk, also your rear end is more then cosmetically crumpled, and just because the door closes doesnt mean your unit body is torqued. I can garuntee you that it need to have some pulls on a uni body machine if they can repair it, they smashed the support under the sheet metal which is $$$$$$$ Id say 10k low side and 15 high. But you def should hope for a total, that damage is hard to perfectly repair even by the best shops.

Also people A LEGACY IS ON A UNIBODY NOT A GOD DAMN FRAME!!!!!

Are you serious? You really think they will just take it off my hands? I was looking online and it appears my car is going for around $19,000 - that was just a quick KBB search

What year is the car?

The bent quarter could indicate a bent frame and a lot of internal damage.

My '05 was rear ended by a '07 Pathfinder. Looked nasty but the floor /frame was untouched so the repair was not too bad. Body shop told me that NOT having the floor damaged made it mostly a cosmetic repair.

That's because the body shop made off big time.

They won't tell you that what they repaired was structural because they want you to think that by the time they're done the car is factory/showroom perfect. In reality, the next time you get into a <15 MPH accident you're going to see damage in the same exact spots as you did in the first accident, since they just used a standard frame puller and Bondo to make the car Look like new. That doesn't mean the car will act like new. You would've been better off if they straightened what they could, then cut the wrinkled stuff out and welded new sheet metal in. If the welder knows what he's doing, the weakest link should be the sheet metal, not the weld. Working in aerospace manufacturing, I can tell you that this the most important part about welding something together. If you're going to weld something, it had best be the strongest thing on the entire part, or there's no point. You can doubt me all you want, but you'll thank me next time you step foot on an airplane (Especially one that I made parts for). For example, when the welders at my shop weld an imperfect part, it will generally go to the expander before it hits the CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine). If the part is going to break, it will generally break on the expander (Which is used to make the part almost perfectly round). 19 out of 20 times if the part is going to break the part will break somewhere other than the weld, meaning that the part was weakest somewhere else other than the weld point.

To get an idea about what happens during a crash try some thin piece of metal and bend it by hand back and forth a few times. It actually changes and gets harder at the bend point before it breaks. That's called metal fatigue, and it starts right away at the first bend.

So even if a piece is restored to it's original shape it has changed properties, which even can mean that it's now more resilient to impact than before and therefore can cause more injuries to the passengers in the next crash during identical circumstances. In extreme cases it may result in an unexpected collapse in the wrong point.

453747.png

I hope the guy who hit you doesn't have Geico.

The prick that rear ended us two weeks ago had Geico and they were horrible to deal with. It took 9 days before they even looked at the car, and 3 days passed where nobody could even tell me where the car was. The adjuster was unwilling to meet us with to exchange the title and a check, so we had to pay to over-night the title and they were supposed to over night it back. They didn't even open our letter until I called them 30 hours after they signed for it.

Keep in mind, you have the option of using YOUR insurance even though he hit you. If you use your own, you will have to pay the deductible but your insurance should collect that from the other company, and reimburse you. I would have went this route if I had rental car coverage on my policy. Have both insurance companies obtain quotes on the damage as well.

an 07 GT isnt worth 19 with 5 grand in the trunk, also your rear end is more then cosmetically crumpled, and just because the door closes doesnt mean your unit body is torqued. I can garuntee you that it need to have some pulls on a uni body machine if they can repair it, they smashed the support under the sheet metal which is $$$$$$$ Id say 10k low side and 15 high. But you def should hope for a total, that damage is hard to perfectly repair even by the best shops.

Also people A LEGACY IS ON A UNIBODY NOT A GOD DAMN FRAME!!!!!

adidas you're badly needed in your other thread... we need updates and are patiently waiting. :)
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Archived