LegacyGT.com

Subaru Subwoofer

Fast Wagon

I think my subwoofer was mounted wrong. First the blue wire is exposed from the center console to under the seat, and the adjustment controls are facing the pedals. Even with the seat all the way forward, it's not possible to get to the dials to make adjustments.

I am bringing the car in for service at the end of the week and I want to make sure my requested are warranted.

Thanks,

Peter

Probably because they think they know everything so they don't spend the 5 minutes to read over the tech info or installations instructions.

But the dials on mine face the pedals as well. That is what side the plug is on. The adjustments I can reach by lifting the woofer up and having a narrow long screwdriver.

I installed the sub myself last Saturday, following (almost) all the instructions. Unfortunately, the sub and mounting bracket ARE designed so that the dials face the pedals. This sucks, but it's the way it was designed, so I don't think the dealer is at fault there for mis-installing it. As for the wire harness, it is designed to run inside the center console past the shifter and parking brake, then run out from under the console above the carpet and under the seat track. If the install was done right, you've just got a small portion of the harness exposed immediately behind the e-brake cover, running straight vertically down under the seat track and below the seat. I don't find that to be objectionable - you've really got to be looking for it to see it.

It is possible (and fairly simple) to flip the mounting bracket around mount the sub so the dials face rearward. That's great for doing adjustments, unfortunately the wire harness would then stick out that same direction and be both visible in the back seat and in grave danger of being kicked / mangled by back seat passengers. I did away with the bracket altogether, and just stuck some strips of Velcro Extreme to the underside of the sub, which seem to grab the carpet well enough to hold the sub in place, but still allow me to pull it out for adjustments easily.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Hey! Does anyone know the company that manufactured the Subaru underseat sub?

I'm curious because in the limited photos I've seen, it appears to be the Clarion SRV-303 or something very similar. I have a Clarion SRV-303 in my Miata and it's exceptional for the price and size. Also, are the Legacy cars already equipped with plug-in connections for the subwoofer, from the headunit and from the power supply? If so, it will make mounting the sub a snap. Do let me know!

In the US it's Panasonic. Elsewhere, it is Clarion or McIntosh (owned by Clarion).

I installed the sub from the WRX we had......it was meant to go under the passenger's seat, so I took the bracket off and used some loop-side velcro. Works great. I do need to unground the extra wire on the radio....I get some turn-on pop. I don't think this radio has the need for the chassis ground. To those who installed the LGT version, did it have a chassis ground lead on the radio side of the wire harness? Did you use it? Any turn-on pop?

Hey,

For those that have installed the subwoofer, is the radio prewired for it? If so does it have preamps just for the sub or also for the front and rear speakers? Do you know the model number for Panasonic?

Thanks

the sub comes with a wiring harness....a 't'. You unplug the stock harness, plug in the new one and plug the stock one into the new harness. So, it's an inline design. No functional connections to use for an external system.

Hey guys,

I just picked up my car last night (woohoo) and was looking under the seat to check clearances, etc. I noticed there doesn't appear to be much room with all the power seat motors and wires. Not to mention the flap of carpeting that comes down from the seat to the floor in the front.

My question to the guys who've done the install is this. Did you have to remove the seat bottom to get access or remove the front carpet flap attached to the seat? It seems awful tight under there!

I was also surprised at how decent the radio sounds, but I still want the extra bass to fill in the low end.

Thanks,

Brian

The woofer fits, but is definitely close to the seat. You do have to remove the seat if you want to hide the cable properly. In all, it took me about an hour. You must pull the trim on the center console and remove the radio to plug the harness in - it's best to work from the sub side and run the cable towards the radio (so you have room to hide any excess cable). Just make sure to leave some slack if you want to slide the woofer out from under the seat to make adjustments. obviously, this isn't an option if you use the bracket and bolt it in place (I didn't, as my woofer was from our old WRX).

Good luck!

Any chance anyone has the install instructions to post? I just got the car and the radio is not as bad as I thought. I am just trying to decide how I want to go about upgrading....

Thanks again

The subwoofer comes with pretty detailed instruction (with pictures). The installation time is about 30-45 mins. I give it a 2 on the hardness scale.

The sub's wire harness includes a ground lead that the instructions say to ground one of the screws on the side of the head unit. I did this, and I've got no pop whatsoever.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

The sub's wire harness includes a ground lead that the instructions say to ground one of the screws on the side of the head unit. I did this, and I've got no pop whatsoever.

I did exactly that because it was the same for the WRX and I sometimes get a pop on the LGT, though not always (my sub is from the WRX, but it should be the same). Turn-on pops are caused by a difference in impedance.....current surge. Maybe I just need to use a different screw on the back of the radio, one with a lower impedance. When it gets warmer, I will tear the console apart again and test with my meter to see what I get.

I looked at the Clarion SRV-303 mentioned earlier. It cost less then the Subi Sub. Is it really better?

If I get the Clarion SRV-303, can I get the Sub Sub wiring harness without having to also buy the Subi Sub?

Just buy the harness?

U7

The Clarion SRV-303 is delivered with two means of connection, RCA patch cord (direct input to the sub from a patch connect to the head unit), and line-level connection (where one connects to the speaker wire.) This allows some flexibility. However, even if you tap into the peaker wires to gain the signal, you still need to run the electrical power wire forward to the battery, or to a switched, inside power source. It's smarter to go direct to the battery.

As to how well it works - it adds depth and good low frequency response, rounding out a component system nicely. It WILL NOT rattle your doors and break your windows. However, you will hear and at times FEEL the bass notes, whether a bass drum, bass guitar, or standup slap bass. It's really a fine unit for the price.

Note that Legacy's DO have room in the trunk or behind the back seat, and if you want MORE bass than I've described, you can always get a larger self-powered sub, like an Infinity Basslink.

If you go to my Miata website and then advance to page 5 (Moss wood rim steering wheel install), you'll find a photo of my open trunk with the Clarion SRV-303 inside. Remember, the Miata has a miniscule trunk! The Clarion really is tiny!

Here's the link: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/406457/1

I haven't actually heard the Subaru sub.

Remember also, that if you hear a Subaru sub as new in a dealer's showroom or lot, the other speakers will be the stock items.

Try to listen to just the low, deep frequencies.

If possible, listen to the radio or a CD with the sub turned OFF, then turn it ON so you can tell what it is providing to the total audio experience.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this post back from the dead. Would like to add the OEM sub, just because I am waiting for performance mods until at least the end of summer, and I have the itch! Well, that and I wanna see how the remaps handle the heat of the summer. Anyway, $169 is the lowest I've seen it... Anybody find better deals around? And it sounds like a WRX sub works fine, just need to mount it differently... how about the wiring harness, need one specific for the 05 Legacy?

-B

Has anyone attempted to install a '00-04 Legacy subwoofer? I see better prices on ebay for those model years. Since others have abandoned the mounting bracket to get better access, I wondered if the previous model year sub would be compatible with the '05 wire harness/radio.

Archived