LegacyGT.com

Subaru marches on in U.S. but more work ahead

The B4

Subscription required:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091128/RETAIL/911289991/1117

TOKYO (Reuters) -- Subaru maker Fuji Heavy Industries continues to charge ahead in the key U.S. market with sales seen jumping by a fifth this month, but it faces a lot of work to boost its earnings power, its CEO said on Friday .

Fuji Heavy, owned 16.5 percent by Toyota Motor Corp., has stolen the limelight with the only rise in U.S. sales this year apart from South Korean rivals Hyundai Motor Co and Kia Motors Corp., giving it the same market share

as mass-volume brand Volkswagen AG.

CEO Ikuo Mori said he expected the trend to continue, with sales so far in November soaring by 20 percent before adjusting for two fewer selling days against the year before. Official figures are due out next week.

"We've identified the United States as the single-most important market under our medium-term strategy, and we're boosting our share there," Mori told Reuters in an interview.

"Our revenue and profits are still low, however, and conditions are very tough. But my feeling is that things are gradually getting better," Mori said, noting the company's new guidance announced this month to return to an operating profit for the financial year to March 2010.

Subaru's U.S. sales grew 13 percent in the first 10 months as demand for the Forester and Legacy models surpassed expectations, particularly under the cash-for-clunkers scheme this summer. The overall market dropped 26 percent in the same period.

Dollar issues

Mori stressed, however, that the dollar's

plunge posed major difficulties for Fuji Heavy, which has the biggest exposure to the United States among Japanese automakers. The dollar sank to a 14-year low on Friday of 84.82 yen.

Mori, a manufacturing expert with extensive marketing experience, said Fuji Heavy was making steady progress in lowering its notoriously high fixed costs in Japan by 10 percent. But he said there was little else it could do to offset the greenback's plunge because its small size made producing more cars overseas unrealistic.

"We're basically on track to lowering our costs. Now if currency rates were where they were last year, I'd be smiling more," the 62-year-old executive said.

Fuji Heavy, the smallest of Japan's eight carmakers, has only one assembly plant overseas, in Lafayette, Ind., which uses half of its capacity to build Toyota's Camry sedan.

Mori said Fuji Heavy had no plans to expand production in the United States. The most likely next move, he said, would be to consider the feasibility of producing cars in China, where prospects for sales expansion were massive.

"We're looking into possibilities for China," he said, adding that Fuji Heavy would likely need a partner to share the plant's capacity to get sufficient economies of scale. He declined to estimate when a decision would be made, while noting he had fielded a lot of requests for partnership from Chinese carmakers.

Fuji Heavy expects its sales in China to jump 85 percent this year to 35,000 units. It expects global sales of 545,000 units in 2009-2010 .

Toyota Backing

Like the rest of the industry, Fuji Heavy's mid-term growth plan has been interrupted by a collapse in global auto sales and a sinking dollar.

But Fuji Heavy's ability to earn money

has been sub-par for some time due to its high cost structure and disappointing product launches. Its operating profit margins have stagnated well below 4 percent since 2003 -- low for a Japanese carmaker.

While acknowledging Subaru's past misstep of trying to re-brand itself as an upscale carmaker, Mori said a revised strategy of lowering its cars' selling price while holding down incentives was helping to re-craft Subaru as a value-added brand in customers' eyes.

Mori also said he had high hopes for Fuji Heavy's four-year-old alliance with Toyota, which has already yielded a project to jointly develop a front-engine, real-wheel-drive sports car with Subaru's signature boxer engine that will be produced by Subaru and sold under both brands.

Fuji Heavy has also started adopting many of Toyota's industry-leading lean production methods, while it expects to benefit in future from r&d help in next-generation technology including in the fields of hybrids and electric cars.

"Cooperating in advanced technologies with Toyota will be a big plus for us," Mori said. "I think we're going in the right direction."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't understand cheap interior. All the pieces are more expensive with the exception of the dash... which looks exactly like the soft plastic on the windowsills.

And it's not like things were deleted without other things being added or made optional.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It could be the angular design as much as the materials - I'm not sure. The silver plastic in the center portion of the dash looks especially cheap to me, though. The previous gen had a more upscale looking interior.

As for deleted features, what exactly did they add to the GT to make up for the elimination of SI drive, electroluminescent gauges, folding mirrors with turn signals, coolant temp gauge, auto trans option, LSD, etc? Whatever they added isn't enough to make up for the losses, imo. In any case, a car that was too heavily compromised by bean counters is unlikely to elicit much desire from consumers. The previous Legacy GT was a car that I aspired to, and would likely have upgraded to in a couple of years. Now, I have no desire to buy one, and will likely get something like a BMW 328xi next time around instead.

And I will add, I'm surprised the new Legacy is selling as well as it is! Perhaps I'm wrong about it not eliciting desire from consumers, though I wonder how many GT's or even Limited's are being sold vs base models to non-enthusiasts. In any case, I have no desire to buy one.

It could be the angular design as much as the materials - I'm not sure. The silver plastic in the center portion of the dash looks especially cheap to me, though. The previous gen had a more upscale looking interior.

As for deleted features, what exactly did they add to the GT to make up for the elimination of SI drive, electroluminescent gauges, folding mirrors with turn signals, coolant temp gauge, auto trans option, LSD, etc? Whatever they added isn't enough to make up for the losses, imo. In any case, a car that was too heavily compromised by bean counters is unlikely to elicit much desire from consumers. The previous Legacy GT was a car that I aspired to, and would likely have upgraded to in a couple of years.

SI Drive is a gimmick. I hate it on my car. The cars now use Sport mode until the engine is warm and this Sport sharp is available. You can use a lighter foot for I mode. Electroluminescent gauges are nice... but the current gauges look really nice when lit... especially with the chrome. There is a gauge that tells you what gear you're in while driving. coolant temp gauge is usless anymore as it's only reading over heating, cold, and operating normally. They've condensed it to a light that does that same thing. That gauge wasn't accurately telling you where the temperature was. Auto trans wasn't cost cutting, it's their way of splitting the GT from the 3.6. Folding mirrors are on their way back. Apparently FHI only manufactured regular mirrors or power folding ones. Knowing how FHI's cost structure works... those mirrors would have added $500 to the car. Who is going to pay $500 for mirrors? The LSD is a loss... but after driving a WRX with one and without one... you won't notice the difference. The new 08 WRX with the same amount of power was/is faster around a track than it's previous iteration. The VDC reacts quicker than the LSD did so even in slipping conditions the LSD wouldn't see duty because of the VDC.

The 2010 added a REAL Harmon Kardon sound system that kicks ass (remember to adjust the equalizer and listen to something other than radio broadcasts). It added real ipod connectivity that is pretty much like Ford's Sync. It added Bluetooth calling and audio streaming, It added a back up camera, It added (finally) auto up and down driver's window, it added quicker and more effecient CVT's instead of 4EATs. It added 6MT's instead of 5 MT's. It added an 8 inch Navi Screen w/ DVD playback.They added voice activated Navi and audio functionality. They added USB input. It added gas struts instead of prop rods, It added key entry to the trunk. It added uprated brakes and better tires, It added a better power to weight ratio. It added improved handling and ride. It added a quieter and more comfortable interior. It added trunk mounted fold down seat levers. It added a non intrusive gas struts for the trunk lid. it added a 2.5i with 23/31 mpg instead of 20/26 mpg. They added 18" wheels for all GT's. They added a rear seat you don't have to apologize for. They added the Hill Holder system. They added minimal weight gain for becoming a larger vehicle. Added auto on headlights. Added a standard armrest extension. Added a new engine cradle with better impact safety. It added best in class front fender bender protection. it added back choices for leather/cloth/moonroof/etc. It added speed sensing auto volume control. It added a larger gas tank. I'm sure there are a lot of things I'm missing... but the delete list isn't the only list the 2010 brings.

Now, I have no desire to buy one, and will likely get something like a BMW 328xi next time around instead.
Repost!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think they improved the front bumper so much as raised it. The car is so tall now, so this time the SUV height bumper basher didn't override it like it did on the previous gen.

Personally, I think the new tall, bulbous, ungainly nose with the exaggerated headlights looks ugly and awkward.

Hill holder function means nothing to me - I prefer a real parking brake over that stupid electronic button operated one.

Still want a real coolant gauge over an idiot light. Much more useful than a stupid mpg gauge.

If SI drive is such a useless gimmick, why is it still offered on the less cheapened Japanese/Euro version of the car?

If SI drive is such a useless gimmick, why is it still offered on the less cheapened Japanese/Euro version of the car?

because that gimmick might still sell cars overseas. I don't think it sold many extra cars in the US. It is a pain in my neck. And unlike the LGTers, I can put my car in sport sharp while the engine is cold. I would hate to have to drive around waiting for the engine to warm up, and then remember to change the setting.

Personally, I think the new tall, bulbous, ungainly nose with the exaggerated headlights looks ugly and awkward.

repost!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why would you want to hammer your car's cold engine, anyway?... but whatever. and Sport Sharp is a button on the steering wheel, and a display on the gauges. if you can't "remember it" that is your own problem. Not that it is really intended for constant use, anyway.

The variability was supposed to allow the car to "relax" it's responses when cruising, and get better mileage for it, and help the car meet fuel efficiency goals, while not dumbing down the sharp responses, when called for.

Now that that has happened, how much sharper could Legacy's responses be, if it were selectable? What part of CAFE regulations do you think the car isn't tuned to cater to? Chances are it is tuned now to permanent "I" mode, maybe a little toward what might be "sport". But without SI-drive, I doubt it is tuned for Sport# all the time. So the very versatility SI-drive was implemented to allow, has been mitigated.

Yet STI still has it, as does the JDM/EDM japanese built models, as mentioned. Those models are also less "cheapened" across the board... it does suggest a trend.

What next, are you going to say that AccessPort map flashes don't have any effect? SI-Drive essentially stores three map versions for on-the-fly selection.

SI drive was explained and touted before, now it is dumped on. More marketing crap by sycophants saying old=crap, new=automatically better, even when that isn't the case.

I don't buy it about the folding mirrors. Wouldn't those parts be built from components, at the Indiana factory, not in Japan, anyway?

Woo, woo... the stereo has finally joined the specifications of the present day, rather than 5-10 years ago.

Woo, woo, auto up and down driver window... something my 92 SVX has.

Justifications for dumbing down the gauge cluster... justifications for de-contenting the drivetrain, on top of previous justifications of de-contenting the suspension while the car still costs more $$. Touting an inferior 6MT than what Subaru has otherwise offered.

Yes, we get it. You think the '10 Legacy is a better car.

Don't complain about people re-posting their opinions, when you've said this all so many times before.

I'm not hammering a cold engine. I want my power when my foot calls for it without having to fiddle with a stupid dial to un-neuter my car. Driving an 09 WRX was a blast. I didn't have to turn or push anything other than the gas pedal and clutch to get up to speed a hell of a lot quicker than my STI in the default sport mode. Unless someone has their SI Drive tuned on their protuned car, comparing it to an Accessport is laughable. Liver vs. Fliet Mignon... but hey... some people like liver. SI Drive didn't do a thing for H6 and GT/XT sales. No one lined up to buy GT's because you could now drive it in the fuel sipping Intelligent ECONOMY mode. I actually drive a car with SI Drive. It is a PITA. If Americans don't want it or use it... I'm all for killing the extra cost on the car.

Yeah... those permanently "I" mode (maybe a little sport) 2010 WRX's, GT's, and 3.6R's fall flat on their faces when you accelerate:rolleyes:

If anyone else in the world has a 2010 GT with folding sideblinker mirrors without power... please feel free to speak up.

The gauge cluster is classy and handsome when lit. No it's not as sporty as the electroluminescent gauges, but seeing as how the H6's and 2.5i's came with a much crappier gauge cluster than what's in the 2010... Subaru actually ADDED COST by giving the volume 2.5i along with the H6 this nicer gauge cluster. OMGWTFBBQ COST WAS ACTUALLY ADDED!!!!!!

Why does this decontented suspension offer up a more supple ride, less body roll, and more neutral handling than the car it replaces? I completely forgot that the Legacy has a quicker steering rack than my freaking STI. ...And the GT with the 18" wheels and standard summer tires stops in a respectable distance instead of 60-0 in eleventy billion feet like the old car and actually inspires confidence while doing so. So yeah the 6MT isn't the robust and beefy STI/SPEC.B transmission. It's definitely not inferior to the 6MT that the 2.5i and the GT offered because... oh yeah... they didn't even have one.

...my 92 SVX has

repost!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SI Drive is a gimmick. I hate it on my car. The cars now use Sport mode until the engine is warm and this Sport sharp is available. You can use a lighter foot for I mode. Electroluminescent gauges are nice... but the current gauges look really nice when lit... especially with the chrome. There is a gauge that tells you what gear you're in while driving. coolant temp gauge is usless anymore as it's only reading over heating, cold, and operating normally. They've condensed it to a light that does that same thing. That gauge wasn't accurately telling you where the temperature was. Auto trans wasn't cost cutting, it's their way of splitting the GT from the 3.6. Folding mirrors are on their way back. Apparently FHI only manufactured regular mirrors or power folding ones. Knowing how FHI's cost structure works... those mirrors would have added $500 to the car. Who is going to pay $500 for mirrors? The LSD is a loss... but after driving a WRX with one and without one... you won't notice the difference. The new 08 WRX with the same amount of power was/is faster around a track than it's previous iteration. The VDC reacts quicker than the LSD did so even in slipping conditions the LSD wouldn't see duty because of the VDC.

The 2010 added a REAL Harmon Kardon sound system that kicks ass (remember to adjust the equalizer and listen to something other than radio broadcasts). It added real ipod connectivity that is pretty much like Ford's Sync. It added Bluetooth calling and audio streaming, It added a back up camera, It added (finally) auto up and down driver's window, it added quicker and more effecient CVT's instead of 4EATs. It added 6MT's instead of 5 MT's. It added an 8 inch Navi Screen w/ DVD playback.They added voice activated Navi and audio functionality. They added USB input. It added gas struts instead of prop rods, It added key entry to the trunk. It added uprated brakes and better tires, It added a better power to weight ratio. It added improved handling and ride. It added a quieter and more comfortable interior. It added trunk mounted fold down seat levers. It added a non intrusive gas struts for the trunk lid. it added a 2.5i with 23/31 mpg instead of 20/26 mpg. They added 18" wheels for all GT's. They added a rear seat you don't have to apologize for. They added the Hill Holder system. They added minimal weight gain for becoming a larger vehicle. Added auto on headlights. Added a standard armrest extension. Added a new engine cradle with better impact safety. It added best in class front fender bender protection. it added back choices for leather/cloth/moonroof/etc. It added speed sensing auto volume control. It added a larger gas tank. I'm sure there are a lot of things I'm missing... but the delete list isn't the only list the 2010 brings.

repost!

:rolleyes:

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

2010 Legacy

The USDM is gimped compared to the JDM version. No getting around this fact.

USDM version looks like garbage. JDM version looks "better"

Where's my HIDS, Auto turbo, side markers, folding mirrors, SI drive, and smart key.

Where are the options period?

Where's the nicer plood-less interior

http://www.subaru.com.au/files/jpg/subaru_liberty04.jpg

I still hate that mall kiosk center console, and the awkward steering wheel design.

The JDM has a nice McIntosh stereo unit, and may technically be nicer than the abysmal USDM version... but it still doesn't look that good.

JDM 2008-2009 with the piano black trim, and the better center console than the USDM model received, was probably the best one to date.

2010 Legacy

The USDM is gimped compared to the JDM version. No getting around this fact.

USDM version looks like garbage. JDM version looks "better"

Where's my HIDS, Auto turbo, side markers, folding mirrors, SI drive, and smart key.

http://www.subaru.com.au/files/jpg/subaru_liberty04.jpg

Where are the options period?

Where's the nicer plood-less interior

repost

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SI Drive is a gimmick. I hate it on my car. The cars now use Sport mode until the engine is warm and this Sport sharp is available. You can use a lighter foot for I mode.

Hey B4, I like your positive attitude. You made many valid comments. Thumbs up and way to stand up to the nay sayers on here.

Regarding the SI drive, what you say sounds encouraging. It also sounds like a reasonable explanation. Do you have any official sources for this information that you can provide? I'm interested in this subject because I don't want to be short-changed on performance. I want to be able to get as much performance out of the 3.6R as possible.

what about it doesn't? And how does cancelling the option improve it?

And, BTW... the new M56 Infiniti seems to have something similar...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/12/22-la-2011-infiniti-m-live.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/la-2009-2011-infiniti-m/#23

A unique new feature of the 2011 M is Infiniti Drive, an integrated control system that allows drivers to select from four driving modes, depending on mood or driving conditions, with a dial switch located on the center console. Each mode, Standard, Eco, Sport or Snow, adjusts throttle sensitivity and transmission mapping to help optimize performance.

GEE, THAT MARKETING SPEAK SOUNDS FAMILIAR!!

so they copied subaru on engine mapping. whoopdeedooh. It's already more functional than SI Drive... it it doesn't change the fact that SI Drive is annoying without showing real results.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

so they copied subaru on engine mapping. whoopdeedooh. It's already more functional than SI Drive... it it doesn't change the fact that SI Drive is annoying without showing real results.

Ok... justify your statements.

How is this brand new top end Infiniti M56 employing a feature that Subaru has already used, and has chucked for the US market, but continues to use elsewhere...

What results is SI-drive not showing? (and annoying is a subjective evaluation that not everyone is assured to agree with you on...)

How is the infiniti system more functional, other than having a further dampened snow setting (keep in mind Nissan/Infiniti AWD is not full time... and SNOW may be a way to engage it proactively, as well as lower the traction control limits... it is just announced tonight...) and only listing 'sport' once, minus the "sharp".

Over all, it seems pretty similar in intent, and I have heard nothing other than marketing speak for these systems, or un-justified denegration from people who are firmly in the bag for the new model Legacy, which has summarily dropped the feature, while JDM/ROW still retains it. Subaru must still think there is some kind of merit, not to have chucked it completely worldwide.

If you, as youv'e said before... always switched over to Sport# at the earliest opportunity, I can understand that maybe you don't want to USE SI-Drive for it's efficiency setting... that doesn't necessarily mean that the system doesn't work.

When Subaru brought it out... it wasn't touted that Sport# was faster than previous Legacy GT models without it... It was touted that "I" mode was more efficient, and met mileage targets better. SI-drive was their answer to NOT having to tune the car to permanent "I" mode to meet fleet mileage targets, and still allowing drivers to have access to the sportier performance when requested.

I want to hear more than just "gimmick" from a person KNOWN to denegrate the outgoing model, in favor of the new model, who has shown himself to not be objective.

You don't have to be objective, but I want to hear more than just insults and denegration. I want to hear actual qualitative, or quantitative information as to WHY you thing it is ineffective.

Because three years ago, people like you, spouting marketing speak were telling me that SI-Drive was a great new feature, and going to allow a bit of the best of both worlds, efficiency AND performance, at the flick of a dial, or a steering wheel mounted button.

Personally, I would love to see SI-Drive 2.

Bilstein PSS10 cockpit adjustable dampers linked into the system...

gearbox shift maps on a theoretical 6EAT-SS or Dual-clutch gearbox

drive by wire profile, fuel map changes, timing curves, turbo boost pressure limit on models with turbos,

exhaust-system valve control to open the exhaust backpressure and volume...

center and rear electronic limited slip diff controls and AWD bias profiles (basically multi-profile VTD, linked to the SI-drive setting).

and changing the traction and stability control profiles.

Make it adjustable for Sport, Cruise, and Weather/low traction. Add a race mode (TC and Stability off, ABS off or very high limits) for STI or other Subaru high performance models.

If Porsche can do PASM, and Sport Chrono can uncork PSM and other performance settings, Ferrari can have it's Manettino switch and even Infiniti luxury cars can have variable performance settings... Subaru already has SI drive, why not fully integrate it, and go big.

Otherwise you get lame Legacys that no longer inspire, and hard-ass STIs that could possibly be abrupt and sharp to live with everyday, just to be calibrated for the few miles driven in anger that the car might get tuned for. (or when STI also goes softer, such as 2008 over previous... people justifiably don't like that.)

A switch that changes the tuning seems like a benefit for diversity. Don't you support diversity? :lol:;):rolleyes:

SI Drive does not add performance or even real gas mileage to the car. it just makes it slower. I liked the idea of SI Drive and thought it was cool... until I actually owned a car with it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The key is, that you don't drive it the same way in "I" mode, vs. Sport Sharp. :lol:

Sport sharp is not supposed, nor was it claimed to increase performance over the previous variants of the same cars, with very similar output, but without the SI Drive system. It is supposed to be pretty much the same, save maybe slightly quicker on the throttle response.

"I" mode was the new feature, to save gas, and calm the car down during the calmer driving conditions. If you try to ram-rod the car in "I" mode, of course the mileage is still going to suck, and the performance won't be as good as sport sharp... :D

But dialing back on ignition timing advance, slowing throttle response, lowering max boost pressure, etc... all the things that SI Drive is reported to do, should improve fuel mileage, and help the car have calmer transitions on and off the throttle, and cruise more efficiently.

If you are cruising, or not driving agressively, you shouldn't notice that the car is slower, because you should be driving more calmly anyway, and not trying to get every ounce of performance out of the car at that time.

If you never drive calmly, then I mode of course won't help you or your mileage. Perhaps the driver needs a control parameter map upgrade...

SI-drive, seems to me, has the premise of optimizing the engine behavior to reflect the driver's behavior at different times and circumstances, not to work magic contrary to physics and chemistry, regardless of the driver's behavior.

Archived