LegacyGT.com

Subaru Launches Next Phase Of Marketing Campaign Part DEUX

gfxdave99

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/10/business/media/10adco.html?ref=business

Advertising

Subaru Turns to the Land of Forbidden Secrets

By STUART ELLIOTT

WHEN auto marketers say “crossover,” they are usually referring to a vehicle that is part car, part sport utility. To introduce the 2008 version of a small sporty model, Subaru of America is embarking on a cultural crossover.

In a campaign that is scheduled to begin online today, Subaru will promote the 2008 Impreza WRX by invoking the history, heritage and popular culture of its home country, Japan. The campaign, with a budget estimated at $10 million, is infused with aspects of Japanese anime films and manga comics; movies like “The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift,” “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and “Blade Runner”; and television series like “Heroes.”

Three commercials that are to make their debut on the Subaru Web site (subaru.com/legend) will tell a tale of a man from a futuristic city “in a land of forbidden secrets” — to quote a line from the teaser trailer on the site — who is fated to become the master of a powerful jungle creature, i.e., the WRX. Consumers will also be able to watch the spots on cellphones as well as on television.

“Somewhere in the jungle, the legend is reborn,” asserts the headline of a print advertisement that depicts a dragon perched atop a mountain. The text begins, “From the East it comes, conceived in thunder, born in lightning.”

Other print ads present a story told in comic-book panels and dialogue balloons about a man named Hiro whose meal at a noodle shop is interrupted by the arrival of a WRX. “Prepare to meet your destiny,” the ads proclaim.

The men ages 20 to 34 who are the intended audience for the WRX — which has features like all-wheel drive and a turbocharged engine — “like what’s coming from Asia, and this epitomizes that,” said Timothy J. Mahoney, senior vice president and chief marketing officer at Subaru of America in Cherry Hill, N.J., a division of Fuji Heavy Industries.

He added, “These are the kids who grew up playing video games,” many of which were, of course, sold by Japanese companies like Nintendo and Sony.

Subaru joins a lengthening list of advertisers capitalizing on the rising interest in Japan among younger American consumers.

For example, in a campaign by BBDO West, part of the BBDO Worldwide unit of the Omnicom Group, Mitsubishi Motors North America introduced the 2006 Eclipse sport coupe to the rhythmic sound of Japanese taiko drums.

And last November, the BBDO New York office created a short film called “Samurai” — subtitled, “A completely fabricated modern-day ancient true fable” — as part of a campaign for General Electric.

“The thread of Japanese pop culture permeates so much of American pop culture,” said John Nash, a partner at Moon City Productions in New York, the agency creating the WRX campaign.

That represents another element of crossover because Moon City is the agency that creates ads for Subaru aimed at gay and lesbian consumers. It is the first time, Mr. Mahoney said, that ads from Moon City will appear in media directed at the general market. (The Subaru creative agency for mainstream campaigns is DDB Worldwide in New York, part of Omnicom.)

“We want everyone to play in their own sandbox,” Mr. Mahoney said, referring to the usual lines of demarcation among the Subaru agencies, “but if there’s an opportunity to have a better idea, so be it.”

“We’re all working for the brand,” he added.

Mr. Nash echoed his client.

“Our specialty is in one area,” Mr. Nash said, “but an idea’s an idea.”

“The 12 years we’ve worked with Subaru has given us a 360-degree view of the brand,” he added.

As for the perspective that Moon City brings to the campaign, Mr. Nash said: “As guys, we love the WRX. That stuff’s in our DNA.”

In other words, the fact that men love fast sports cars is nature, not nurture.

The three WRX commercials, each 30 seconds long, are to become available online in three stages: today, next Tuesday and July 31.

The commercials are to start running on television next month, during programs that will include coverage of the X Games on ESPN; the WRX is the car sponsor of the games.

TV “is probably the least important component” of the campaign, Mr. Mahoney said, reflecting the changing media consumption habits of the men in their 20s and 30s whom Subaru executives call “manchilds.”

“They’re chronologically older” than when they were teenagers, Mr. Mahoney said, “but they still like having fun.”

Among the cars that compete with the WRX for those drivers, he listed the Mazdaspeed 3, the Mitsubishi Evo and the Volkswagen GTI.

The Subaru Web site will also offer content like wallpapers and buddy icons as well as an invitation to join “WRX Nation” to receive information about the car.

The content available for cellphone users will include ring tones that Subaru promises will emulate “the sound of the turbocharged WRX engine.”

On the interactive aspects of the campaign, Moon City is working with R/GA in New York, part of the Interpublic Group of Companies.

The WRX print ads are planned for September issues of magazines read by younger men. Among them are AutoWeek, Blender, Complex, ESPN The Magazine, The Fader, Game Informer, Import Tuner, Maxim, Spin and Subiesport.

Subaru introduced the WRX in 2001. In its most popular year, 2002, there were 22,910 sold. The company sold 8,757 last year, when it became known there would be a redesign for the 2008 model year.

Asked for the sales goal for the 2008 model, Mr. Mahoney replied with a laugh, “My standard answer is always, one more.”

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I like it!

There's been a bit of discussion about Subaru's advertising on the boards lately and I think this is an improvement. Of course this is a behind the scenes view at the plans for a campaign aimed solely at the Rex. But, if its successful, it will have a nice halo effect for the Legacy...

:munch:

The best-selling year for the WRX (USDM) was 2002, the first year it was offered. It was competitive then. The "new" Impreza doesn't seem all that new.

If they would just spend the marketing money on up-to-date car design, the "message" will take care of itself.

The best-selling year for the WRX (USDM) was 2002, the first year it was offered. It was competitive then. The "new" Impreza doesn't seem all that new.

If they would just spend the marketing money on up-to-date car design, the "message" will take care of itself.

In a recent first drive they felt it was kind of a let down as the powertrain was mostly carry over. (regardless of thoughts on styling)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

In a recent first drive they felt it was kind of a let down as the powertrain was mostly carry over. (regardless of thoughts on styling)
Bullshit. Magazine writers are embargoed from publishing such an article about the 2008 WRX. Who the hell cares about what someone thinks about the 2.0L GT-S after driving one in Japan?

a $10 million advertising campaign but they cant spend $60-80 thousand to hire a decent designer to make that ugly impreza look decent....GEEZ!!!

If they had hired a talented designer/team...they wouldn't need to spend 10 million to promote the car. A great product sells itself.

I'd like to toss in that the new VP of Marketing, Tim Mahoney, has been on the job since last fall. His previous gig was marketing the Cayenne launch at Porsche. Though he was at Subaru (in a lower-ranking job) previous to that. Personally, I don't know any execs at Subaru who is as much of a performance nut as Tim.

The marketing we're going to start seeing is a new direction because it takes time to develop new ideas under new leadership. Though I'm not absolutely certain, I would guess that this is his first 100% Mahoney campaign. The previous stuff was probably just massaging the already-in-process campaign.

I'm actually quite happy to see a distinctly different campaign for one of the Subaru models. To date, all the ads were too similar and too forgettable.

Ryan Douthit, Publisher

Subiesport Magazine

http://www.subiesport.com

;1258403']It's always enjoyable having written discussions with people who CAN'T READ.

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/13309/first-drive-2008-subaru-impreza-wrx.html?al=92

I can read just fine..

As a result of this carry-over policy, the performance feels like it’s stuck in limbo. It’s as if Subaru had toned down the car’s on-road thrills in line with its toned-down looks. You expect to be blown away, but you’re not. It’s not that it feels slower, but you always expect a new car to be faster.

I can read just fine..
As a result of this carry-over policy, the performance feels like it’s stuck in limbo. It’s as if Subaru had toned down the car’s on-road thrills in line with its toned-down looks. You expect to be blown away, but you’re not. It’s not that it feels slower, but you always expect a new car to be faster.
I'll explain using a 7th grader's vocabulary so that you'll have a fair chance of understanding.

The author of that Car & Driver article has never driven the US 2007 2.5L WRX and has never driven the upcoming US 2008 2.5L WRX. His "First Drive" article was comparing the new JDM 2.0L Impreza GT-S to the previous JDM 2.0L Impreza WRX. The JDM Imprezas have completely different drivetrains than the US versions. The engines have different displacements and the transmissions use different gear ratios. The author's observations about JDM Impreza drivetrains are worthless for insight about the new US 2008 WRX.

The US 2008 WRX will hit the same peak torque as the US 2007 WRX, only 800 RPMs earlier, at 2800 RPM. The US 2008 WRX will then maintain that peak torque all the way out to 5200 RPM. This is a night-and-day power delivery difference between the 2007 and 2008 US WRX. I expect the 2008 US WRX hatch to be faster than any other US Subaru, excluding only the WRX STI.

;1258889']I'll explain using a 7th grader's vocabulary so that you'll have a fair chance of understanding.

The author of that Car & Driver article has never driven the US 2007 2.5L WRX and has never driven the upcoming US 2008 2.5L WRX. His "First Drive" article was comparing the new JDM 2.0L Impreza GT-S to the previous JDM 2.0L Impreza WRX. The JDM Imprezas have completely different drivetrains than the US versions. The engines have different displacements and the transmissions use different gear ratios. The author's observations about JDM Impreza drivetrains are worthless for insight about the new US 2008 WRX.

The US 2008 WRX will hit the same peak torque as the US 2007 WRX, only 800 RPMs earlier, at 2800 RPM. The US 2008 WRX will then maintain that peak torque all the way out to 5200 RPM. This is a night-and-day power delivery difference between the 2007 and 2008 US WRX. I expect the 2008 US WRX hatch to be faster than any other US Subaru, excluding only the WRX STI.

7th grade vocabulary is fine, but the grammatical complexity needs to be brought down as well. :lol:

So when did you get to test drive the US-spec 2008 WRX?

7th grade vocabulary is fine, but the grammatical complexity needs to be brought down as well. :lol:

So when did you get to test drive the US-spec 2008 WRX?

My mistake was using the word vocabulary and assuming a typical seventh grader today would know its meaning.

Beginning July 9 in Joliet, IL and moving on to Syracuse this week, SOA has been conducting a "ride and drive" for its dealers' salespeople which include tests of the new WRX. The tour ends in September in Texas and will have included 40 different venues.

;1258889']I'll explain using a 7th grader's vocabulary so that you'll have a fair chance of understanding.

Well I hope for Subaru's sake that you are right as they need to do something to get out of this sales slump. However I'll wait till I actually get to test drive one to see if it is really a night-and-day difference.

Well I hope for Subaru's sake that you are right as they need to do something to get out of this sales slump.
In case you haven't noticed, Impreza sales have been setting records in the US this year.

Archived