LegacyGT.com

Subaru considering STI junior for market gap between WRX and STI

IwannaSportSedan

Autoblog reports Subaru considering STI "Junior".

Subaru has gained itself quite a cult following with performance Imprezas. Based on its victories in the World Rally Championship, the WRX and STi versions of the Impreza have been a big hit with the gonzo street-racer crowd. With the introduction of the latest STi, Subaru left a gaping hole between the mighty fast 224-hp WRX ($24,350) and the super-fast 305-hp WRX STi ($34,995). Since more customers will want to upgrade from the WRX than can afford the $10k+ leap to the STi, Subaru is reportedly considering slotting a new model in between the two, which could come in a little under $30k and offer about 265 horses under hood.

The report comes from our friends down under at Drive.co.au, who were speaking with Nick Senior of Subaru Australia. According to Senior, parent company Fuji Heavy Industries "has a fair bit on its plate" at the moment, alluding to the reported upcoming Celica which Subaru is developing with partner Toyota, so we shouldn't expect a mid-level WRX anytime soon, but it is on Subaru's radar screen for the future. Senior also said we can expect Subaru to churn out some special-editions, like a stripped-out STi track car, so stay tuned.

And here is my response:

Gee...

Not like they have a 30k turbocharged 4-door with more horsepower than the WRX, but less than the STI, with about the same interior room and curb weight as the 08 Impreza line.

OH, WAIT, THEY DO!

Legacy 2.5GT Limited.

Heaven forbid Subaru actually claim ownership of that, being better looking than the Impreza, as well.

Not like they have a 30k turbocharged 4-door with more horsepower than the WRX, but less than the STI, with about the same interior room and curb weight as the 08 Impreza line.

OH, WAIT, THEY DO!

Legacy 2.5GT Limited.

Heaven forbid Subaru actually claim ownership of that, being better looking than the Impreza, as well.

:whore:

OH, WAIT, THEY DO!

Legacy 2.5GT Limited.

+2. The cheapness of the impreza body kits doesnt exactly yell out "Class" IMO. The Legacy is definately treated like a step child in the SW market, though I don;t know how it is elsewhere. I have seen lame commercials for the tribecca, and impreza commercials that go on an on about safety (like teenagers care) but not a single Legacy commercial.

Dumb SOA. I have yet to have one person get in my car and not be WOWed by it's exterior styling or finish of it's interior, especially for it's price range.

OH, WAIT, THEY DO!

Legacy 2.5GT Limited.

The WRX is actually quite a bit (nearly 300 lbs.) lighter than the LGT Limited and has more interior room (due to the loss of 2-3 cubic feet from the sunroof on the LGT Limited). From Subaru.com:

WRX 4-door MT and 5-door MT = 3,142 lbs. curb weight/94.4 cubic feet interior space

STi 5-door MT = 3,395 lbs. curb weight/94.4 cubic feet interior space

Legacy GT Limited 4-door MT = 3,415 lbs. curb weight/90.9 cubic feet interior space

STi Junior wouldn't sell AT ALL. Has anyone every really said "Gee, I want something faster than the WRX, but not the STi, that is too fast. Too bad that Legacy GT isn't as ugly as the WRX or I'd get one."

It might sell if it had the fender flares and alcantara interior from the STi. It would be a replacement for the dear, departed LGT wagon. Of course, an LGT wagon would be better. :p

Ok, so the Legacy is 20lbs heavier than the STI, and 273 lbs. heavier than the WRX (and has 24 more horsepower than the WRX)

But does anyone here think that a 30k Middle-option WRX would do good things for the marketability of the Legacy GT, were Subaru to actually do this?

Subaru doesn't advertize the Legacy GT. They barely did in 05-06, and it was about a car having AWD, and not 2-wheel drive. Had nothing to do with performance. The Legacy GT wagon could only be the precursor. It was probably cancelled to make way for the 5-door WRX, and now improved Forester to garner sales un-hindered by the GT wagon internally competing with them. That, and it was easy to cut out of the lineup, and leave the Outback in place, due to low units sold, due to complete lack of stock.

If they put forward a mid-performance WRX for 30k, kiss the Legacy GT goodbye, and welcome back the 01-04 wallflower Legacy days.

If the WRX were to eclipse the GT's power and price point, the Legacy GT as we know it will be put out to pasture, for the management to be able to push the newer WRX product. And considering how they treat the Legacy as a product, they probably would sleep well that night, after killing the turbo Legacy.

MARK MY WORDS. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

wow i see an assinine IMpreza line up

2.5i sedan

2.5i hatch

Outback Sport

WRX sedan

WRX hatch

STI Junior sedan

STI Junior hatch

WRX STI

and finally lets not forget.... STI LIMITED (sans spoiler, sans big hood scoop, added sunroof)

Lets count em. 9 total offering....someone before me said it correct... STUPID OF AMERICA

wow i see an assinine IMpreza line up

2.5i sedan

2.5i hatch

Outback Sport

WRX sedan

WRX hatch

STI Junior sedan

STI Junior hatch

WRX STI

and finally lets not forget.... STI LIMITED (sans spoiler, sans big hood scoop, added sunroof)

Lets count em. 9 total offering....someone before me said it correct... STUPID OF AMERICA

Didnt someone before say something about eggs.. and a basket... and not doing it... or something to that effect?

This whole thread is theoretical, all the way back to the Subaru of Australia exec who spoke on the record about the possibility.

So a list with that included is also a hypothetical list, and the effects on the Legacy line are also theoretical.

But a track record of bad decisions exists, and this sort of thing does not bode well, even theoretically.

But does anyone here think that a 30k Middle-option WRX would do good things for the marketability of the Legacy GT, were Subaru to actually do this?

While it may make sense in Australia, where the Liberty (BL/BP) still has robust sales, it probably won't make sense in the U.S. due to the already lackluster sales of BL and non-existent sales of non-Outback BPs. What can I say, Americans have bad taste and SOA would rather cater to our bad taste by selling tastelessly clad Outbacks than the comparatively beautiful Legacy wagons. :(

The thing is, if they do this in Australia, they are probably going to try to bring the mid-WRX here, too.

That would give SOA all the impetus they would need to cancel the Turbo Legacy altogether, and we would be back in the days before the 05 Legacy came out.

SOA does stupid things, regardless of the taste of it's customer base. Sometimes the market dictates what products are popular, but sometimes companies are just stupid about how they handle the products they sell, and it isn't a completely accurate representation of the consumer's preferences.

Like any bureaucracy, there are internal politics involved, and champions of certain projects, regardless of their external effects. Someone had to champion the 08 Impreza design. Otherwise there is no reason for that car to be as ugly as it is.

Someone had to champion the 08 Impreza design. Otherwise there is no reason for that car to be as ugly as it is.

The Impreza has never been a beauty queen. With each generation, there is a decent looking variant and a butt ugly variant. With the first generation, the Pacer-esque wagon was butt ugly and the sedan and coupe were decent looking. With the second generation, the wagon was less Pacer-esque, but was still not as good looking as the sedan. With the current generation, the 5-door is better looking than the dowdy Corolla-esque sedan, IMO. This represents a step forward for wagon/hatchback enthusiasts, but a definite step back for sedan enthusiasts.

I believe that what Nick Senior (I have met him) is describing is the Tuned by STi concept they are using more and more. They have previously released such a beast in the form of a WRX Tuned by STi and it was well received here.

read this link and you will see what I mean including a quote from Nick about this car http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/subaru-wrx-tuned-sti.htm

Another example of this is my current ride, same deal

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/Aussiedave_2006/MY07%20Liberty%20GTB%20STI/MY08GT014.jpg

I believe that what Nick Senior (I have met him) is describing is the Tuned by STi concept they are using more and more. They have previously released such a beast in the form of a WRX Tuned by STi and it was well received here.

read this link and you will see what I mean including a quote from Nick about this car http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/subaru-wrx-tuned-sti.htm

Another example of this is my current ride, same deal

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/Aussiedave_2006/MY07%20Liberty%20GTB%20STI/MY08GT014.jpg

NICE!!!

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

:rolleyes: It's a car, not a sewing maching

I wouldn't doubt something like this too much though. I'm sure subaru is dying to get a hybrid in the line-up, and the fact that they are now working with toyota means that it can't be far off...I doubt it will be in the form of an STI tuned wrx, more like in the tribeca, forester and legacy.

The thing is, if they do this in Australia, they are probably going to try to bring the mid-WRX here, too.

That would give SOA all the impetus they would need to cancel the Turbo Legacy altogether, and we would be back in the days before the 05 Legacy came out.

SOA does stupid things, regardless of the taste of it's customer base. Sometimes the market dictates what products are popular, but sometimes companies are just stupid about how they handle the products they sell, and it isn't a completely accurate representation of the consumer's preferences.

Like any bureaucracy, there are internal politics involved, and champions of certain projects, regardless of their external effects. Someone had to champion the 08 Impreza design. Otherwise there is no reason for that car to be as ugly as it is.

I don't see how a model between WRX and STI kills the Legacy GT? I'm sure SOA realizes a customer of the WRX is infact different then a Legacy customer. Also realize SOA isn't as responsible as you might think, when it comes to design of the products headed here, and what they can bring here from Japan.

I don't see how a model between WRX and STI kills the Legacy GT? I'm sure SOA realizes a customer of the WRX is infact different then a Legacy customer. Also realize SOA isn't as responsible as you might think, when it comes to design of the products headed here, and what they can bring here from Japan.

why have 3 variants of the same car for the same purpose? why not just kill the "S-GT" aka usdm wrx; and make a real WRX. all it really needs is some suspension mods, maybe some 18's, and slight power bump.

my idea of impreza lineup: STi, WRX (real wrx), 2.0d (diesel), 2.5i.

move the current WRX up the latter, then introduce the diesel to slot in where the current wrx is. 3 different cars for 3 different purposes. if there was a junior STi, mostly everyone would buy it for "bang for the buck", which would eat STi and wrx sales.

Archived