LegacyGT.com

When is Subaru coming out with a car that gets good gas mileage?

My 92 Legacy wagon is getting ready for the ice flow and I'm looking for a new wagon. I really want another Subaru but they have never been good on gas. I hear rumors about a subie diesel but who know when thay will come out. Has anyone heard of when and if this car is going to be released? I hear VW is coming out with a new US leagal diesel wagon but I am uneasy about the reliability of Volks Wagons in general. The other car I was looking at was a Ford Focus wagon but they don't make them any more other then whats left is on the dealers lots.

If Subaru had a diesel wagon I would be at the dealers yesterday! Finding a wagon is large enough to actually carry a decent amount of cargo that gets better then 30 is hard to find.

Any thoughts on this.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just enquired to Subaru with this exact question...

I am currently looking (as many Americans are) for a fuel-efficient, safe, commuter car for the daily drive to work. As a long-time Subaru owner (we own our 8th & 9th now) I would prefer to own something built by Subaru and am surprised that there is nothing that fits that description in Subaru's line-up. As many car companies are bringing smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles to the market Subaru seems to be headed in the opposite direction. What is even more surprising is that Subaru already produces a small, fuel-efficient vehicles in other parts of the world, the R1, R1e and the R2.

My suggestion to Subaru of America would be to bring one or more of these vehicles to the U.S. immediately, before you miss the chance at a quickly growing market segment (as you did with the Baja & Tribeca). Between the rising gas prices and revised EPA mileage estimates I predict the current line of products sales will suffer unless there is some type of alternative-fueled, diesel or electric powered vehicle in the pipeline for Subaru.

If available, and priced similarly to its competitors, I would buy an R1, R1e or R2 today.

and Subaru's reply:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your inquiry regarding our plans for more fuel-efficient and environmentally-friendly vehicles. Subaru understands how important fuel economy is to its customers. and, Subaru always has been and will continue to be committed to safeguarding the natural environment that so many of our customers avidly enjoy. Lower fuel consumption and higher emissions standards are the goals of all current and future Subaru vehicles.

Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI), our parent company and manufacturer of Subaru vehicles is currently involved in a partnership with Toyota. Under the terms of this partnership, the two companies are actively studying a collaborative effort to possibly utilize Toyota's Hybrid System. For more information, visit: www.fhi.co.jp/english/news/press/2006/06_03_13e.pdf

Subaru is also committed to developing electric vehicle technology. The concept Subaru R1e all-electric vehicle is equipped with next-generation long-life manganese lithium ion type batteries. At present, ten units of the Subaru R1e electric vehicle are used for daily business operations by The Tokyo Electric Power Company, Incorporated (TEPCO), Subaru's joint development partner, for road-testing with an eye to a market debut down the road. No decisions have been made as to if and when this model will be released to the U.S Market.

All 2007 and newer Legacy and Outback models equipped with the 2.5-liter turbocharged engines and some 2008 models with the 3.0 liter H6 engines, come standard with technology called SI-DRIVE. The new SI-DRIVE system allows the driver to maximize engine performance, control and efficiency by choosing from among three selectable modes - 'Intelligent', 'Sport' and 'Sport Sharp' - using a rotary dial on the center console. When operating a vehicle in 'Intelligent' mode - the vehicle can achieve as much as a 10 percent improvement in fuel efficiency.

Subaru offers the most fuel efficient All-Wheel Drive vehicle lineup in America. Since 2003, Subaru has also been offering Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV) certified Legacy, Outback, and Forester models which are available for sale anywhere in the U.S. Subaru PZEV vehicles meet California's Super-Ultra-Low-Emission Vehicle exhaust emission standard. Gasoline vehicles meeting PZEV emissions standards sometimes have even lower emissions than hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles. Subaru PZEV vehicles are also U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Certified SmartWayT Vehicles and are honored in the EPA's Green Vehicle Guide: http://www.epa.gov/emissweb/

The 'Subaru Boxer Turbo Diesel' engine will be introduced into the European market in 2008. This engine, in its current design, is not ready for use in the U.S. market due to the stricter diesel emissions requirements for the U.S. market. However, no decisions have been made at this time as to if and when this engine will be brought to the U.S.

Not only does Subaru recognize the importance of alternative fuel technology, they also realize that clean air is just one component of a clean environment. The Subaru plant in Lafayette, Indiana was the first auto assembly plant to achieve zero landfill status - nothing from its manufacturing efforts goes into a landfill. It's all reused and recycled. For nearly three years, our Subaru plant has produced zero landfill waste. 100% of the by-products produced from fabricating Subaru vehicles in Lafayette are reclaimed. When you carry out your trash at home on the next collection day, you'll be sending more trash to landfills than the entire

Subaru manufacturing plant. Surprisingly, some of the worst landfill waste offenders are the plants that manufacture hybrid vehicles and their parts.

Lower fuel consumption and higher emissions standards are the goals of all current and future Subaru vehicles. We appreciate that you took the time to inquire about our vehicles and future technology. We hope that this information gives you more insight about our hybrid, electric, alternative fuel, and our environmental efforts. Please feel free to contact us again or visit the following Subaru web site in the future for updated and more detailed information: http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/environment/index.html?from=highLights

Sincerely,

Samir Hasan

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

Cliff Notes: No alternative or diesel fueled vehicle's in the near future...our plant in Indiana is cool

Now that was a great response from Samir at SOA. Clear and consice. But if you look at the Subaru setup, if you made them FWD again, you probally could easly see 30+ mpg. But AWD is thier nitch market so they won't go back. Basically, the entire GM selling its stakes in FHI and Toyota buying it threw a wrench into the gears of all this and is making things getting pushed out later.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Don't hold your breath on diesels. Manufacturers are having a very hard time passing the current emmissions regulations let alone the stricter ones coming up in the next few years. Toyota and Honda have had diesels for years and have not brought them here because of the emmissions regulations and are struggling to bring them here now.

I was in the same boat and went with the 2.5i wagon and have been happy with the fuel efficiency. I just got 31mpg on a long road trip. I average 23-24mpg with a lot of city and a lead foot, inefficient wife driving it most of the time.

Stay FAR AWAY from VWs, they are horribly unreliable, that was my last car so ask me how I know.

I just don't get why Americans don't like wagons, or manufacturers just don't offer them here? SUVs are just wagons with a higher center of gravity, crappier ride, chuncky tires, and horrible handling. Apparently it is "cool" in the U.S. to have a car that handles worse than the old grocery getters of yesteryear.

AWD - It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

Subaru has carved out a niche market for AWD and safe vehicles.

AWD vehicle systems are heavy and causes efficiency losses due to having to drive 4 wheels. i.e. The amount of energy extracted from gasoline that is finally converted to thrust to move the vehicle.

Subaru vehicles are designed with a heavier substructure for better crashworthiness.

Those two things alone are a huge drag on fuel efficiency for stop and go traffic. That is why Subies suck in the city and compete on the highway. (It takes very little power to keep a vehicle moving on the freeway.)

Most people buy Subarus because they are awesome in crappy weather, have good reliability, and is the vehicle you want to be in if you get in an accident.

TANSTAAFL. You have to pay for AWD and safety, and you will in fuel.

A diesel engine would be interesting on the Outback and Tribeca.

Just don't get one near my Legacy.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

I agree that Subaru is going in the opposite direction fuel efficient wise. I predict no one buying the 08 tribeca, and will eventually join the baja in the graveyard. What I would like to see is a nice hybrid or even a fwd/rwd legacy. I know subaru is all about the awd. But having at least one model that isn't awd wouldn't hurt the company at all IMO.

My Legacy 03 does just fine commuting to college every weekday. I just go a constant 55 mph instead of 65 in the morning. It seems to affect my gas milage.

On the highway we're seeing 27.5 MPG driving in the 70-75 MPH range in "Intelligent" mode. I feel that's pretty good for a car that's ready to clobber a lot of sports cars that don't even have the AWD on tap.

Capt RB

I live in L.A. so AWD is not needed or desired (it's funny how you see all these knarly 4x4's with 12" lifts and 42" tires "pure pavement pounders" stuck in traffic jams on L.A. freeways. A lot of So. Cal residence are all about projecting that "image")

Yea, Volkswagon seems to have their fair share of problems. I owned a 85 GL 4x4 wagon that i sold with 170K on the clock and my 92 Legacy wagon has 268K miles (both had/have the original clutch) and they were never in the shop for repairs......EVER!!!

I hate to spend money on a car on anything but a Subaru. I just want something that averages better then 30 mpg and is a wagon.

The reason wagons don't sell better inthis country is that the average American car buyer wants the supersized SUV and no nothing about driving stability and handling and have this faulse sense of security that somehow driving a big car is safer not realizing by their sheer mass are more accident prone to begin with.

This sucks! Subaru is a bit out of touch with where the car market is going. All I have driven for 22 years are Subaru. Buying anything else scares me.

I really don't think you can compare the milage of a subaru to other small cars. If you need the AWD, the milage is better than almost any othe AWD/4wd option. The legacy wagon get about what the Ford compact suv hybrid gets. It is always a gut shot when a review knocks the subaru for its "poor" milage compared to the "other vehicles in it's class", yeah I'd like to see a civic make it down my road and to work after a good snow storm..

Could the milage be better? Probably, but remember that since it's inception to just a few years ago, subaru's have been know as "underpowerd little cars". The latest designs are extemely effecient. My 05LGT gets as good or better milage with the turbo 2.5l as my 1.8l brat got 15 years ago. I'm a lot safer in my lgt, to boot. Unfortunatly, everyone else hasn't got the memo, that my LGT kicks butt, and they continue to pull out in front of me all the freakin time! (not as bad as when I had my forester, though..)

Gas is simply not expensive enough for the average american consumer to give up performance for milage, and the car companies don't want to build cars people won't buy. There is a niche market, which is being filled by the few hybrids on the road now.

If milage was my main concern, I would not have gotten the turbo, and I would drive a bit different than I do currently, on "greener" tires. Is the milage unacceptable to me, no. My brother drives a suburban, and I laugh at him. I think that subaru should be appauded for producing an AWD Sports wagon with great power that gets "average" mileage.

I'd like to see the six speed manual make it in to more cars, to boast the highway numbers. A true highway 72mph cruising gear would be better than just spreading the same ratios over 6 gears insted of 5. I noticed a difference in gearing when I went from my forester to the LGT. The forester is quite a bit more "Utility oriented", so the gear ratio make sense. But Between the aero differences and the gearing, I noticed an highway milage increase over the forester with my LGT, even with the "thirsty turbo engine".

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I personally can't complain about my gas mileage.....I get 25/32 with my 2.5i 4eat

for an AWD car that runs great on 87, I'm getting pretty damn good mileage IMO

I'm getting about 2mpg less with my wagon but with about 80% city driving I still average close to 26 mpg. For what you can do with that wagon that mileage is just fine with me too.

Reading this post, I can't help but ponder, what affect, if any, would happen if someone tried to put in the FWD fuse and see if that makes any differances. I bet it has been discussed, but I am at work, did a quick search, and don't have time to wade eye deep into old threads.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Reading this post, I can't help but ponder, what affect, if any, would happen if someone tried to put in the FWD fuse and see if that makes any differances. I bet it has been discussed, but I am at work, did a quick search, and don't have time to wade eye deep into old threads.

+1 curious on this too

Guest Gitster
AWD - It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

Subaru has carved out a niche market for AWD and safe vehicles.

AWD vehicle systems are heavy and causes efficiency losses due to having to drive 4 wheels. i.e. The amount of energy extracted from gasoline that is finally converted to thrust to move the vehicle.

Subaru vehicles are designed with a heavier substructure for better crashworthiness.

Those two things alone are a huge drag on fuel efficiency for stop and go traffic. That is why Subies suck in the city and compete on the highway. (It takes very little power to keep a vehicle moving on the freeway.)

Most people buy Subarus because they are awesome in crappy weather, have good reliability, and is the vehicle you want to be in if you get in an accident.

TANSTAAFL. You have to pay for AWD and safety, and you will in fuel.

A diesel engine would be interesting on the Outback and Tribeca.

Just don't get one near my Legacy.

+1000000

Turbo + AWD + Heavy foot = 24 mpg average

Whats the Corvettes excuse ?? Its only pushin 2 wheels :lol::lol:

Guest Gitster
I don't get you folks. Most of you bought a turbocharged performance car, and are now complaining about fuel efficiency. Subaru sells none turbo models, such as the 2.5i. Try that.

Im not complainin, I know what I bought and I :wub: it

I don't get you folks. Most of you bought a turbocharged performance car, and are now complaining about fuel efficiency. Subaru sells none turbo models, such as the 2.5i. Try that.

Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining. If it was MPG i was worried about, I would have gotten the 2.5i. I agree that SOA needs something more for the MPG concious buyer, that market is going to do nothing but grow in the near future. And the sooner that subaru comes out with something, the better.

I know that my local subie dealiership has been trying to sell smartcars and zapcars, but here in CA, they can't sell the smartcars yet becuase CA doesn't like them.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

push comes to shove.

people will leave Subaru for a civic.

I'm straining with 16 mpg city

and its bullshit that they don't have anything,

they already developed their own hybrid and FHI has a battery that has a high capacity.

very BAD upper management decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it sad that this company reacts so slow to the times.

they thrown away a good opportunity with their gas/hybrid

it was projected to be 0-60 6 sec and 42 mpg max.

i'm going on a UNCLEMAT rampage

I'd love to see a deisel Forester, My wifes forester is getting along in years, and that would balance out My leagacy...

Really the biggest impact on gas usage is car usage. The more you drive, no matter what your mileage is, the more gas you turn into heat and CO2. Combine trips, move closer to work (or change jobs), put more peolpe in fewer cars, and don't drive a t peak hours when you get stuck in trafffic. Your car burns the least fuel when it's not running!

Moving all the SUV drivers out there from 14mpg to 21 mpg will save way more fuel, and lower prices, more than taking my 25mpg lgt to 35mpg.. then they can tell me I get crappy gas milage.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Archived