LegacyGT.com

Stupid Questions.. But Does the Hood Scoop

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No grill for leaves dude. Important**** Whatever you do, when washing your car, DO NOT GET SOAP ON THE INTERCOOLER!!!
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

DO NOT GET SOAP ON THE INTERCOOLER!!!

Ok, that I knew. But here's a question: when you guys wash your cars, are you just really careful? Or do you employ some other solution, such as covering the IC with something (haven't washed my car myself yet .. it's still pretty new, and it's only now getting to be warm enough in Boston to bring the hose out).

It's not like a mesh would offer any benefit against leaves. If a mesh screen caught a leaf it would restrict airflow to the IC - just like a leaf on the IC would.

Oh - and they make a special car-wash soap that is safe for intercoolers. You can find it at most auto-parts stores next to the DOT-3 blinker fluid.

I don't know that I've ever seen a leaf in my scoop. Unless you drove through a whole pile of leaves at slow speed then I don't see how any would get in there anyway.

I filter my distilled water that I pump through my soapless hose before I trickle it over the intercooler. You can't ever be too careful.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

thanks guys for the replies.. for some reason i thought there was one on my sedan.. i must've been imagining it..

as for washing.. i guess i'll be careful and spray from the windwhield down. though i don't think i was that careful before and it was ok..

1.5k miles on my manual wagon.. i have to say.. i don't know what i was thinking when i got my AT sedan.. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Sometimes I just rub the hood down with a big bottle of that soap-free hand sanitizing gel. That way I don't risk getting soap anywhere near the intercooler. It takes a little extra effort, but you can never be too careful where a TMIC is concerned.

Why,:confused:

because if you get soap on the Subaru intercooler then it causes it to melt. It is made of a special metal that isn't designed to resist water or soap. If you get it wet or soapy then you might as well use aluminum bearings in your muffler instead of the OEM titanium ones. Your car will run crappy either way.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Sometimes I just rub the hood down with a big bottle of that soap-free hand sanitizing gel. That way I don't risk getting soap anywhere near the intercooler. It takes a little extra effort, but you can never be too careful where a TMIC is concerned.
Now that is a good one.:lol:

Denial is your best friend

If only Subaru had been smart like Mazda and deleted the hood scoop. Oh well. :(

I've been saving up for a 2.5i hood swap for six months now. Just $350 more and my IC troubles are over. :)

I like the hoodscoop, it sets the Subaru's apart from the crowd. You going with a FMIC.

Denial is your best friend

Archived