LegacyGT.com

Stupid Leather Protection WIPES...Someone please help...

I got my 07 Subaru Legacy Limited Edition with leather. A week or two ago I got these Gold Class Leather Protection Wipes. I wiped my leather with those wipes but now I don't like them anymore. The thing is like putting grease on your leather. I don't like the way it feels.

But now I got this issue where I don't know how to get that dang thing off. I have a few spots on my leather where I didn't wipe and I got most of the seats wiped. There where I wiped, the leather has this wet shine look to it, almost the same with when you put tire shine on your tires. The spots that I didn't wipe are just dry.

Is there a way to safely remove that grease/ wet look that the wipes leave on your leather. Can it be washed off somehow? I just don't like it at all anymore. I just want my leather to be back to fully dry normal look..

On the front seats, where ppl actually sit, the shine is gone. I guess it wiped off on the cloth from people sitting. Will it just go away on its own

thanks for your help

P.S - I dont recomment those leather shine/ protection wipes at all

Conditioning your leather is just like using hand lotion. If your hands were dry and you wanted to use something to make them better, would you go for the bottle of lotion or the hand wipes? Which do you really think would have more ability to fix the problem? Wipes are a poor choice for proper leather care. They are good when you are in a pinch and just want to give them a quick wipe down, but if you are interested in truely caring for your leather then you need to go a little further.

For this situation what I would suggest is that you get a good leather cleaner and start over. You won't ever get your leather looking dry and dusty like it looked when you bought it, but that really isn't the way it should look. It should look not shiney, but maybe a little matte. Something like this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC01896.jpg

That isn't too shiney, but it isn't dry and dusty either. It's a result of proper cleaning and conditioning of the leather. Proper maintanence would preclude the use of wipes. Those are more for quick cleanings. In fact, Meguiar's does have some Quick Detail wipes that work great for when you just need to clean some spots off or something like that. What I couldn't live without is Poorboy's Leather Stuff and Wolfgang leather care products. If you are looking for a great one step product then I'd go for the Leather Stuff.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I found the hard way that the meguiars leather cleaner & conditioner (1-step) was complete crap. The quik interior detailer is good for quick touch-ups to your already cleaned and conditioned surfaces. Great for removing finger prints, hand lotions, dust or the occasional dirt. Your interior surfaces only need to be cleaned 1-2 times a year and conditioned every 1-2 months. But you should dust, vacuum, and clean your windows with every wash. A one step product will never be as effective as using a cleaner first and following up with a conditioner, so start with a good cleaning and just keep it maintained with a nice conditioner.

A high gloss is desirable on your paint, but not inside the car, it's just a greasy mess. To reduce the glossing, apply the product and let it sit for a few minutes, then go back through the car wiping it off with a clean terry or microfiber. Your leather, plastic and vinyl with soak up what it needs the rest can and should be removed for a clean dark matte finish.

i think i posted somewhere before, but im using Griot's LeatherCare and LeatherCare spray with great results.

leather care every 2-3 months, leathercare spray every other week or so.

very easy to use. dries to a nice matte finish and smells good too.

Yeah, if you like the smell of goat urine. :lol:

not sure what goat urine smells like so i'll take your word for it but you are correct it does have a twang to it :lol: i know someone who works at a harness/leather shop and thats all they use Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner plus i've used it for more years than i care to say on all my leather for cars, bikes, home with great results (not for suede). guess i'm old school use what works. :) bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I think in the case of leather cleaners and conditioners it is a matter of the process (clean then condition) than the product. Just don't use a 1-step cleaner and conditioner and you should get fine results with anything that isn't just water in a bottle.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this one back from the dead.

I had a product i used on my previous car which worked really nicely. It did not leave any shiny greasy residue at all, and actually brought back some of the "new dullness" to the shiny seats. I do not know what it will do on brand new seats, but this is what i used

Meguiar's G10508 One Step Leather Cleaner 8 oz.

http://inpcars.com/tire-and-wheel-care/meguiars-qz.jpg

However, i was wondering if anyone has found any other solutions for the "new dull look" shiny leather looks so silly and cheap.

What bugs me is that from the factory the seats have a rich yet very matte look to them... anything used on them just makes them shiny... :(

That is because it is untreated leather. Sure putting something on them is going to take away the dry dusty look. That is sort of the point... Dry looking leather is what we typically want to avoid. You don't have to get ghetto glossy Armor All shine all over the place to protect them. Something really muted like Poorboy's Leather Stuff or Wolfgang (both personal favorites) works great on the leather without making it overly shiny. Sure it will make it more shiny than when it rolled out of the factory, but that is the point. If your seats look dry and dusty then that is a problem. Or maybe you (not sebberry, but any 'you' who reads this) likes dry and cracked leather. Subaru doesn't go to any great expense to give us high grade leather, so if you like the look of cracked leather then you probably won't have to wait long to get it. My guess is that there are a lot of '05s out there with cracked leather already. Just another corner Subie cut to bring us the newly redesigned LGT... Paint, carpet, leather, glass, fuel managment, tires, lightbulbs, wipers,... Is there anything left that they could possibly cheap out on?

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Bob! When are you going to put that stuff in convenient wipes? lol

I will second that though. Leather RX is great stuff. I didn't get a chance to use it on the Legacy, but I use it on the Pilot all the time and it does a great job. I've used it on some pretty hairy cleanups in other vehicles too and it hasn't ever disappointed me.

OCDETAILS BLOG

www.leatherique.com

Expensive, but the best stuff you can use on leather. Truthfully, the suby leather seats probably aren't worth using the good stuff on. :)

/thread

this is the best stuff you can buy. it isn't cheap, but the bottles are large, and have lasted me through two cars, and i still have about a 1/3 of a bottle each to use on the wife's FXT ........ and my shifter/steering wheel/e-brake boot (i have a non-Limited LGT :lol: ).

you put on the Rejuvenator, and put some garbage bags over the seats and let it soak in for a day. repeat if they are really bad. it brings all the crap up out of the pores of the leather. then use the Prestine Clean to clean all the gunk away. i used it on a 1987 Porsche 928, and the seats were like new. same for my SVX, made the leather like butter. a guy who had owned and seen quite a few SVX's said my seats were the softest he'd even sat in. the stuff makes the leather smell like new, too.

Archived